• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Against the Waratahs I'd be tempted to start Nonggorr, and have Tupou come off the bench.

Once Wright comes back I'd see him coming form the bench, with Ryan Smith dropping off. Eventually ASY (Angus Scott-Young) making way for Wright to start. But ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and Uru will probably be the bench and likely both come in to the back row but either being able to cover the both the Second & Back Row.

I think Hunter should get a spell on the bench against the Waratahs and start Stewart at 12 with Hunter in that super sub role. He's played a LOT of footy and will be needed to play a lot more so.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Have they played a lot of footy? They’ve only played 4 games including a Bye week. 3 of those games were home games as well.

I agree they need to manage workload over the course of the season, and this game is a good opportunity, the players shouldn’t be fatigued yet though.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Have they played a lot of footy? They’ve only played 4 games including a Bye week. 3 of those games were home games as well.

I agree they need to manage workload over the course of the season, and this game is a good opportunity, the players shouldn’t be fatigued yet though.

Though I did think they looked a little enervated last week. Especially Tupou. You're right though, it has not been a heavy workload.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Though I did think they looked a little enervated last week. Especially Tupou. You're right though, it has not been a heavy workload.

The last couple of games it appears that Tupou does enough to hold his own until just after halftime when his opponent starts to fatigue, then he hits a switch and goes full effort and dominates his opponent.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The last couple of games it appears that Tupou does enough to hold his own until just after halftime when his opponent starts to fatigue, then he hits a switch and goes full effort and dominates his opponent.

In the scrum, yes absolutely.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
To build depth, Thorn has to roll the dice somewhere. Nonggor played Super last year and was okay from what I remember. Start him this game and I’d start Uru at 6 or 8 too. Maybe rotate the whole front row. Leave everyone else.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
To build depth, Thorn has to roll the dice somewhere. Nonggor played Super last year and was okay from what I remember. Start him this game and I’d start Uru at 6 or 8 too. Maybe rotate the whole front row. Leave everyone else.

He got yellow carded against the tahs for scrum penalties. Bell turning the tables after Tupou did it to him.

Reactions: TSR

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Fair enough. Stand corrected. Still - like Ben Darwin says - ever good prop starts out getting their head shoved up their own arse.’

Now is a good time for him to get some experience.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Fair enough. Stand corrected. Still - like Ben Darwin says - ever good prop starts out getting their head shoved up their own arse.’

Now is a good time for him to get some experience.

I think Nonggorr would benefit from another season of Premier Rugby. He was inconsistent in the finals series last year, granted against some now Super Rugby level props.

I doubt the Reds would have signed Ruan Smith to sit on the bench behind Nonggorr. I think he’s just needed some more time with the squad and we will see him playing soon.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think that’s logical. I’d imagine there is a fair chance that Ruan is still a better prop and I don’t want to discount the importance of Nonggor playing Prems.

But I guess I am looking at this game in isolation and see it as an opportunity to give him some super rugby experience, noting that he is not completely (unsafely) out of his depth at this level. Given he’s in the squad and Ruan is only a temporary signing the do need to have him ready to go if they need him at short notice over the next 2 months.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I have to agree with him around the back line defence. Rugby is complex enough without moving guys around in defence. I understand swapping the 15 and 10 sometimes, depending on the players involved but shifting everyone doesn't make sense to me.

As for the scrum I couldn't disagree more. Bishop completely ignores the fact the opposition 1 is angling in on Tupou in every scrum. A legitimate tactic when this is being done is to shift sideways and push straight.

As for ASY (Angus Scott-Young) holding FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) for the try, he does this after FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) comes around and engages with ASY (Angus Scott-Young). If FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) had been more aware of his role in the defensive line then he'd have covered McDermott.

The Reds are far from the finished product but there is improvement each week. By the end of the Super AU season they should be competitive against the NZ teams, who also all struggle against the Crusaders.

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
Nick Bishop's latest article is concerning. I suspect some stuff is overblown but it does lay out a concerning analysis of the Reds.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2021/03/24/why-the-queensland-reds-are-skating-on-thin-ice/

What do the fans here think?
Yeah I'd agree with most of what he says, Holmes is an excellent front row operator Robinson is a spud we should have been able to hold our own without the skullduggery. Maybe TT doesn't get the required challenge in training from the wider squad.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Nick Bishop's latest article is concerning. I suspect some stuff is overblown but it does lay out a concerning analysis of the Reds.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2021/03/24/why-the-queensland-reds-are-skating-on-thin-ice/

What do the fans here think?

My main takeaway is the comment section of that article makes GAGR discussions look like how you'd speak with your grandma.

Some of the chat and rambling was unreal.

Interesting article, I tend to think over analysis of the scrum isn't very helpful though.

At the end of the day, referee interpretation varies so much from scrum to scrum and anyone whos played in the front row at any level knows that you're taught all the tricks of the trade and come scrum time, it's about who wants to show their hand first, if they can't manage to power their way through the opposition.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah I'd agree with most of what he says, Holmes is an excellent front row operator Robinson is a spud we should have been able to hold our own without the skullduggery. Maybe TT doesn't get the required challenge in training from the wider squad.

Do you mean Robertson a capped Wallaby who had Tupou in his pocket, legally or otherwise?

Hes not a spud.

Reactions: dru

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
Yes I did mean Robertson, and yes he was a wallaby who when took the field for them folded like the SPUD he is.Have a look at the angle he is packing into TT, without Holmes there he gets folded and ends up on his face. He will never gain higher selection barring a bunch of injuries.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The scrum viewpoint by Nick was the one that I thought didn't go very deep, just deep enough to make rugby political statement.

The "dosey-do" barnyard dance in the backline is a different matter though. Hopefully whatever is intended has been locked down in training.