• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It’s been mentioned a few times already , but a great backline, or team for that matter, doesn’t necessarily have to be made up of MVP’s in every position. In fact, I think a lot of MPV voted teams / backlines would be mostly disfunctional if they ever actually got onto a rugby field . You don’t want a team of Quades or Campo’s , nor a team of AAA’s .

It’s all about balance, bit like a Ben Smith in an All-star AB’s lineup. He just makes the whole thing better.

The Reds backline of 2011 had Genia, Quade and Digby, but also had Ant, Lance and Ben Lucas filling in the gaps.

Campbell is doing just fine .

Yeah, this. I mentioned in the Wallabies thread but it's true of the Reds as well. Jock is surrounded by strike power (and will be if he makes the Wallabies). He doesn't need to bring it. A safe pair of hands at the back, a decent boot and good positioning is basically all he has to do.

I think the same argument could be made for retaining Banks as well, though.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
9DF5A08D-1778-4803-881A-0ECF66F8BBA4.jpeg

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Big fan of Campbell, but I also think Banks & Maddocks have both been playing better this year - although that doesn’t seem to be the view of many others.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Heard someone mention that Rennie would like the Wallabies based at Ballymore once the redevelopment is done .

He does live on the GC, so might be something to it?

so does the defense coach and scrum coach. Attach coach lives just a little further south in Nth NSW

Reactions: dru

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I’d be interested to see what the contractual obligations of the Moore Park facility were though, that’s the reason the 7s team are based there.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Heard someone mention that Rennie would like the Wallabies based at Ballymore once the redevelopment is done .

He does live on the GC, so might be something to it?

There's a lot to be said for this.
Get's the Wallabies away from the NSW cabal in Sydney.
Has to be a cheaper option.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
He was specifically asked if he could see the Wallabies being based out of the redeveloped Ballymore to which he responded that he could definitely see them based there.

Just like they were based in the Hunter last year or will be based at Sanctuary Cove in a couple of weeks. When they are in Sydney they base themselves in Coogee. Its not like RA is going to ditch the Moore Park building.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
To be fair, Moore Park is more of an administrative headquarters then it is training facility, the gym and indoor facility is decent but the teams training there have to deconflict training fields with other teams like Roosters/Swans, and subsequent U20s/Academy teams as well. Often the Aussie 7’s just train on the park footy grounds at Centennial Park.

That’s the value of Ballymore, 3 full-sized pitches dedicated to rugby, including 1 with game day lighting requirements.

Dusky W

Allen Oxlade (6)
To be fair, Moore Park is more of an administrative headquarters then it is training facility, the gym and indoor facility is decent but the teams training there have to deconflict training fields with other teams like Roosters/Swans, and subsequent U20s/Academy teams as well. Often the Aussie 7’s just train on the park footy grounds at Centennial Park.

That’s the value of Ballymore, 3 full-sized pitches dedicated to rugby, including 1 with game day lighting requirements.

Is this a Reds thread or should it be on the Wallabies page so we can see the Sydneysiders get upset about the chat? I dont care tbh but I do like to see a Tah supporter getting upset over nothing.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I think Jock has been great. A big improvement in his game has been the meters and accuracy he has added to his kicking game. Each game he has nailed a couple kicks from inside his 22 out well into the opposition half on the full.

I think he compliments that backline perfectly. Uses those around him very well, can distribute, can kick, then when an opportunity arrises he has the foresight and agility/acceleration to take it. He needs to add a couple extra yards of top end speed to really push for the Wobs I think. It is doable but he will never have the pace of a Rod Davis or Morahan. Is a good defensive organiser at the back as well. He and JOC (James O'Connor) seem to work well together.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Put Jock's calmness, rugby brain and apparent eagerness to learn/improve into Maddocks' raw talent / body and you have a 10yr Wallaby fullback right there.

I'm a long term fan for sure, but he is 25, 26 in a couple of months. Not likely to get anything like 10 years.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm a long term fan for sure, but he is 25, 26 in a couple of months. Not likely to get anything like 10 years.

Idk about that.

Campbell been referred to as a poor mans Chris Latham. And Latham kept on playing professionally after he left the reds. No idea when he hung them up but he did play professionally close to 15 years by my math.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Idk about that.

Campbell been referred to as a poor mans Chris Latham. And Latham kept on playing professionally after he left the reds. No idea when he hung them up but he did play professionally close to 15 years by my math.

Well you can beat me with a stick, SouthernX. Playing for the Wallabies at 35 is something I don't know how I missed.