• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Well you can beat me with a stick, SouthernX. Playing for the Wallabies at 35 is something I don't know how I missed.

Lot of these players leave at the end of their career for the payday.

I’m sure Latham would of still been the wallabies 15 had we had the Giteau law...

But as Jets has mentioned it looks like purce comment was in relation to dr Frankenstein and merging the talents of Campbell and Maddocks

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Tupou is going great and his ability to play the full 80 at the intensity he does is amazing.

It also does have a downside though .

Not a lot of game time for other THP’s , Nonggorr not getting on again last night. Training and getting picked in the game day 23 is a great opportunity, but not getting on the field could create baggage for him.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Could do - and it’s a tough balance. Hopefully he gets some time next week and then, when Fotuaika is available again he gets plenty of time in Hospital Cup.

Fingers crossed he is patient - although like all sportsman he probably just wants to get on the field and rip in.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Tupou is going great and his ability to play the full 80 at the intensity he does is amazing.

Not a lot of game time for other THP’s , Nonggorr not getting on again last night. Training and getting picked in the game day 23 is a great opportunity, but not getting on the field could create baggage for him.

I have a feeling he'll get some time against the Tahs this week ;)

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Possibly, and no doubt he would be chomping to get out there but you need to earn your stripes and Tupous dominance in the last 10-15 mins of those matches have been game changers. It’s not as though he is sitting behind someone who he thinks he is better then, he gets to learn off and practice against one of the most dynamic props in the world.

I think Thorn would love to take Tupou off if the Reds had a healthy lead with 20-30 to go, but all the games are going to the wire.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Possibly, and no doubt he would be chomping to get out there but you need to earn your stripes and Tupous dominance in the last 10-15 mins of those matches have been game changers. It’s not as though he is sitting behind someone who he thinks he is better then, he gets to learn off and practice against one of the most dynamic props in the world.

I think Thorn would love to take Tupou off if the Reds had a healthy lead with 20-30 to go, but all the games are going to the wire.

Typos looked tired and listless to me. Could use a break I reckon.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Could do - and it’s a tough balance. Hopefully he gets some time next week and then, when Fotuaika is available again he gets plenty of time in Hospital Cup.

Fingers crossed he is patient - although like all sportsman he probably just wants to get on the field and rip in.
Hope for all the extended squad , but especially the younger fellas that the COVID bubble doesn’t reappear this season.

Nonggorr , Flook, Nasser and Co would benefit from regular game time.

Asiata had a run for Easts yesterday, so hopefully see these young guys getting a run for their clubs this year.

Reactions: TSR

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Nasser and Wallis both played for UQ yesterday. Obviously the younger guys were away with the U20s.

Nasser didn't last long because he was crook and Wallis didn't last long either because he hasn't played actual rugby for a while

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

I've been surprised that Ruan hasn't been on the bench. Perhaps they're worried about Ruans fitness levels not being high enough to play 60+ minutes if Tupou came off injured. Hopefully we'll see Ruan help elevate some of the pressure on Nela over the coming weeks.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I've been surprised that Ruan hasn't been on the bench. Perhaps they're worried about Ruans fitness levels not being high enough to play 60+ minutes if Tupou came off injured. Hopefully we'll see Ruan help elevate some of the pressure on Nela over the coming weeks.

I thought it was only JP, the LHP that was back?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Sully raised a point in another thread.

What happened to CFS? Has he just been a victim of budget cuts? He seemed a very popular player, was in good form last year and Thorn seemed to rate him. Or did his injury history work against him?

Where is he playing now? He appears to be listed as a classic Wallaby. Hard to imagine he had to retire due to lack of options.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Sully raised a point in another thread.

What happened to CFS? Has he just been a victim of budget cuts? He seemed a very popular player, was in good form last year and Thorn seemed to rate him. Or did his injury history work against him?

Where is he playing now? He appears to be listed as a classic Wallaby. Hard to imagine he had to retire due to lack of options.

Reds released him - player of great promise but had constant problem with injuries I think he got a gig with second division french side (remember he did get a gig just can't recall french club name - think it was French gig but could even be Japanese gig). It was a pity as thought he was very good last season and maybe a player who is surplus to reds would have been well suited to Tahs as still quite young.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
The Reds did a big farewell post to him earlier in the year. I think he’s gone overseas but I can’t seem to find exact info.

The Reds were very good to CFS and stuck with him during some very injured plagued seasons. I imagine he was probably worth more than what the Reds could offer so he left. I don’t blame him, with his injury history he deserves to finish his career earning as much as he can get.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Okay. I missed it, or I guess I’ve just forgotten. I agree - best option for him is to cash in. Hopefully he gets a good, injury free run.

Thanks for the reply.

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
Liam Wright should be due to return from injury in the coming weeks if I'm correct?

With the form of the current Reds backrow, it'll be interesting to see how Wright is reintegrated.

It would be disappointing to see someone like ASY (Angus Scott-Young) or Uru lose their spot, but those tough decisions/competition for spots is exactly what we need.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I think ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and Wright share the most similar traits, he would be the one to miss out. Uru can cover second row and backrow just as easily, and has that X factor about him this year which I think is more valuable in the back end of games.