• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
He's just a little out of form. Pushing a few passes and things. Working back into form from the wing or bench shouldn't be much of an issue.

He has always had issues, especially with control of the ball, either catching, maintaining or distributing.

His flashes of brilliance make his faults easy to overlook.

He will be a QLD legend in time, but he is still a kid and I often wonder if he is worried about the hit he is about to get once he catches the ball and forgets to actually catch the ball?

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
It could be he's still figuring out his body, he's 21 and 6ft 3 and 100kg... he's bigger than most blokes we'll ever meet and he's a kid. I agree he's been hot and cold, but that's who he is (for right now at least) he will drop balls cold then a few min later score a spectacular try that no one else in World Rugby could.
He actually feels a lot like Quade in a lot of ways, obviously not a play maker, but just one of those players who can do things on the field no one else can do, but sometimes he'll mess up things no other players will.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I hadn’t seen the value in Jock Campbell but after watching the replay last night, I’m gaining confidence. In no way is Jock a playmaker but he does add smart play in defence and looks to have a powerful attacking run on him. His mistakes are minimal and usually only occur at the fault of another player. He’s no standout but adds confidence when he is in possession of the ball.
What we do need is another playmaker. Yes to Stewart and possibly working with Paisami if he’s in the 12 channel.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think Petaia is just trying to do too much, it’s a confidence and experience issue flowing over from the TRC 2020 IMO, rather then a technical deficiency in his game. More game time is the only solution for him I think, I don’t think dropping him is going to benefit him.

Likewise with Vunivalu, he just needs game time to build his understanding of the game and learn how to inject himself. Both players will build as the season goes on IMO.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Jock put in a pretty big kick on the weekend that impressed me. I think he was close to the best back playing on Saturday night.

Was that the one where he chased it down and him and Sorovi got the pilfer down the other end?
Amazing kick and passage of play.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah, I feel like Jock Campbell has probably been the best fullback in the comp right now. Don't get me wrong he's nothing amazing but none of the fullbacks are playing very well.
I'd ideally have Hunter have a spell on the bench, since last year he's played a LOT of footy and is REALLY critical to the Reds doing well and let's you ask Hamish and Jordie to step up.

But these are classic Crusaders problems.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think you're being a little harsh there Dru. I agree Jordy could do better. But the bloke has gone through a lot in the last 12 months especially with losing his father last year.

But, to give you some context, using 2011, the major linchpins of our success in Genia and Cooper were 23 at the time. The only players younger than them in the team that ran out in the final was Tapuai (22) and Gill (19 and from the bench).

If you want even more context, with Jordy P now being 21, Quade was getting caught up with that stolen laptop business.

With the talent around him in JOC (James O'Connor), Tate, Daugunu, Hunter and Suni, there is no need to Jordy to overplay and should just focus on getting through more games and learning when and where he can inject himself.

I wonder whether Jordan also putting too much pressure on himself to be the star in every play as lot of public pressure as the next big thing in rugby and as you say had tough 12 months losing his father and with injury. I think he will be fine long term but at the moment probably not in my starting wallaby side but he still is obviously talented player who just needs good crew around him both coaching and support wise which appears he has at the reds. Like I said he will be fine as still very young and had some injuries preventing decent run so just needs more time in the Saddle imo.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
I wonder whether Jordan also putting too much pressure on himself to be the star in every play as lot of public pressure as the next big thing in rugby and as you say had tough 12 months losing his father and with injury. I think he will be fine long term but at the moment probably not in my starting wallaby side but he still is obviously talented player who just needs good crew around him both coaching and support wise which appears he has at the reds. Like I said he will be fine as still very young and had some injuries preventing decent run so just needs more time in the Saddle imo.

There does seem to be an expectation that he has to do something amazing every time he touches the ball. He doesn't seem to have the same leeway with fans that other players his age might to have a 'quiet' or 'safe' game, and I imagine he feels that pressure.

Gervais_rugbylives

Allen Oxlade (6)
This is a team sport. We classify amazing players as those who make fun plays happen, but it all comes with errors. In reality, we want great, consistent players to form an amazing squad to make us win over multiple games.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I hadn’t seen the value in Jock Campbell but after watching the replay last night, I’m gaining confidence. In no way is Jock a playmaker but he does add smart play in defence and looks to have a powerful attacking run on him. His mistakes are minimal and usually only occur at the fault of another player. He’s no standout but adds confidence when he is in possession of the ball.
What we do need is another playmaker. Yes to Stewart and possibly working with Paisami if he’s in the 12 channel.
To me jock Campbell proven to be a solid super rugby performer. My interest in fullbacks is finding our next wallaby full back and can’t see him improving his game to get to that next level but still likewise in watching him play this season deserves to be regular fullback for the reds.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
It’s been mentioned a few times already , but a great backline, or team for that matter, doesn’t necessarily have to be made up of MVP’s in every position. In fact, I think a lot of MPV voted teams / backlines would be mostly disfunctional if they ever actually got onto a rugby field . You don’t want a team of Quades or Campo’s , nor a team of AAA’s .

It’s all about balance, bit like a Ben Smith in an All-star AB’s lineup. He just makes the whole thing better.

The Reds backline of 2011 had Genia, Quade and Digby, but also had Ant, Lance and Ben Lucas filling in the gaps.

Campbell is doing just fine .