• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
I don't understand how putting players on the bench makes them better.
Works in Cricket, dropping player's with work ons on what they would like to see him do to get back to this level. I personally don't think this is what Pataia needs as other parts of his game are working defense for example and beating his man one on one. Looking at that try he scored off the Paisami grubber showed he does not lack coordination so it's about the top 2% something he will gain from more game time not less.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
If it’s a confidence and experience issue though, will dropping him actually help or make the issue worse?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Another great article by Nicholas Bishop on the Roar today

https://www.theroar.com.au/2021/04/...t-players-does-not-always-make-the-best-team/

The problem for Wisemantel and the Wallabies is the Reds’ synergy in midfield looks better when Hamish Stewart is playing at number 12, with Hunter Paisami pushed sideways to 13 and Jordan Petaia left out in the cold on the right wing.
This is especially true on the defensive side of the ball, where the Reds average just over 15 points conceded per game with Stewart/Paisami in combination in 2021, against 24 with Paisami/Petaia in harness.

But for now, the wheels of the Reds midfield run better with the oil that Hamish Stewart supplies. He is the best defensive leader at the club in the backs, he adds more to the kicking game, and a better balance between game-breakers and expertise at the contact points comes with him quite naturally. The synergy is there.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
I'm assuming the points conceded number is pretty heavily skewed by the fact that Paisami/Petaia were the centres for the game against the Brumbies - but was that due to them being poorer defenders, or because the Brumbies are a bigger attacking threat than the teams Stewart was playing against?

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Am I the only one who thinks Stewart is just criminally underrated? Sure he's not going to give you 'that X factor' of a Jordie, but he's better than 'just another center' IMO he should be a boarder-line Wallabies player. Stewart has probably the best defensive center in Super Rugby, he's genuinely a To'omua lite. Yet he's constantly ignored. Another thing that I think gets missed that Stewart does is he REALLY slows the opposition ball (mostly legally). It's no coincidence that Hunter has a blinder when he's playing with Stewart.

I think when you factor in his consistency Stewart ought to be a hands down starter this year, and should be right up there with To'omua for the Wallabies 12 job (if that's the direction we go). It's not like his attack is even that poor. I think those first few games he was probably just feeling the pressure a bit and letting that influence his decision making against the Rebels he was back to his 1 to 3 runs to passes that we were seeing last year (his first two games he had more runs than passes likely feeling like he had to do something to get noticed and secure his spot).
I think Stewart is one of those players who is better when they underplay their hand (I think To'omua is too and that's why he's a FAR better 12 than 10). And maybe Stewart is a long term option at 10 as he grows he's still hecking young (50 Super Rugby Caps at 23!).

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Sounds like it demonstrates to Wisemantel and Rennie that our best backline is 10 - JOC (James O'Connor) 12 - To'omua and 13 - Hunter which replicates what Bishop has found. To'omua is solid in defence like Hamish and a better ball player.

I disagree. Hasn't shown much creativity this year at all. Would not be in my 23 tbh.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Am I the only one who thinks Stewart is just criminally underrated? Sure he's not going to give you 'that X factor' of a Jordie, but he's better than 'just another center' IMO he should be a boarder-line Wallabies player. Stewart has probably the best defensive center in Super Rugby, he's genuinely a To'omua lite. Yet he's constantly ignored. Another thing that I think gets missed that Stewart does is he REALLY slows the opposition ball (mostly legally). It's no coincidence that Hunter has a blinder when he's playing with Stewart.

I think when you factor in his consistency Stewart ought to be a hands down starter this year, and should be right up there with To'omua for the Wallabies 12 job (if that's the direction we go). It's not like his attack is even that poor. I think those first few games he was probably just feeling the pressure a bit and letting that influence his decision making against the Rebels he was back to his 1 to 3 runs to passes that we were seeing last year (his first two games he had more runs than passes likely feeling like he had to do something to get noticed and secure his spot).
I think Stewart is one of those players who is better when they underplay their hand (I think To'omua is too and that's why he's a FAR better 12 than 10). And maybe Stewart is a long term option at 10 as he grows he's still hecking young (50 Super Rugby Caps at 23!).

I think he is better at 12 but imo a natural footballer, bags of talent and more importantly shit loads of ticker and yes extremely underrated at the moment. Is in my XV for sure.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I think he is better at 12 but imo a natural footballer, bags of talent and more importantly shit loads of ticker and yes extremely underrated at the moment. Is in my XV for sure.

Is he really natural 12 though? He still plays like a converted backrower- fantastic at all the physical elements (tackling, breakdown presence and aggression) but his passing and kicking seems always premeditated and structured. I'm yet to see any of the opportunistic 'eyes up' rugby that you get from his competitors (To'omua, Simone etc.)

Good footballer but potentially limited- it all comes down to what role a coach wants the inside to play.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Is he really natural 12 though? He still plays like a converted backrower- fantastic at all the physical elements (tackling, breakdown presence and aggression) but his passing and kicking seems always premeditated and structured. I'm yet to see any of the opportunistic 'eyes up' rugby that you get from his competitors (To'omua, Simone etc.)

Good footballer but potentially limited- it all comes down to what role a coach wants the inside to play.

I've watched him play 10 15 and 12. In all positions he has shown the necessary skills including his Larkham-esque deceptive gait and pace. He hasn't needed to do a hell of lot this year so far. They've tailored the game plan to the oppo that's fore sure. I think Jim will give him a different role vs the kiwis. He is a far more rounded player than either you mention above.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I've watched him play 10 15 and 12. In all positions he has shown the necessary skills including his Larkham-esque deceptive gait and pace. He hasn't needed to do a hell of lot this year so far. They've tailored the game plan to the oppo that's fore sure. I think Jim will give him a different role vs the kiwis. He is a far more rounded player than either you mention above.

He isn't showing it though. He was very solid last year without being spectacular and this year had been a step down from that. Threw away a couple of tries earlier in the year with very poor decision making. Zero real creativity and eyes up play in his game at the moment. I like the kid but he isn't showing a hell of a lot at the moment outside of solid defense, crashball and good ticker.

I think he will stay at 12 until Suli is available but the chat of some thinking he should be a Wallaby is a fair way off the mark. MT is a significantly better player than HS then you have Paisami and Simone ahead of him. As well as the rise of 3 pretty handy Tahs centres in Walton, Perese and Foketi. Unless HS adds another few dimensions to his game I doubt we will ever see him in Gold.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Am I the only one who thinks Stewart is just criminally underrated?

Haha! Remember at the start of the season and the screaming outrage by non-Red WB fans when I suggested that both Paisami and Petaia might be good enough for the WBs but they would have to fight for their positions at the Reds. I also thought that they would, just that could not simply be gifted it.

I'm not at all keen on Stewart at 10, stepping in as second playmaker fine but not 10. Also check his quantity of passes in each game. He is giving plenty and maybe he would revert (again) to 10 - but not without a major change in playing style.

BTW I thought the same of DP before him.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Historically correct sophistry - ie correct but incomplete. Stewart does things few backorders do. Kicking, high ball, cut out passes, backline D organisation. (Campbell is the other part of that equation at the Reds.)

A modern back has to earn some stripes with ruck performance. Yes, Stewart does that in spades.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Haha! Remember at the start of the season and the screaming outrage by non-Red WB fans when I suggested that both Paisami and Petaia might be good enough for the WBs but they would have to fight for their positions at the Reds. I also thought that they would, just that could not simply be gifted it.

I'm not at all keen on Stewart at 10, stepping in as second playmaker fine but not 10. Also check his quantity of passes in each game. He is giving plenty and maybe he would revert (again) to 10 - but not without a major change in playing style.

BTW I thought the same of DP before him.

I thought very highly of DP. Was sad to see him leave as he offered a lot. Hope he is going well OS

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Love NB's work. In this case while I agree with the premise of what Stewart brings, I'm not convinced that a centre pairing of Paisami-Petaia will not quickly be superior. They are of course very different beasts.

On another note, with NB pulling out clips to demonstrate Reds backline D - did anyone-else notice just how omni-present Jock Campbell was? There is a bloke who, like Stewart, is heavily under-rated.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Historically correct sophistry - ie correct but incomplete. Stewart does things few backorders do. Kicking, high ball, cut out passes, backline D organisation. (Campbell is the other part of that equation at the Reds.)

A modern back has to earn some stripes with ruck performance. Yes, Stewart does that in spades.
You also conveniently ignored the rest of my post that alludes to that. He absolutely does kick and pass- however, especially with his passing, he's not that good at it!

dru

Tim Horan (67)
You also conveniently ignored the rest of my post that alludes to that. He absolutely does kick and pass- however, especially with his passing, he's not that good at it!

Soz. He hadn't been passing at all much in the early rounds. had to be under instruction though. He does actually throw a great pass. Still not the usual strength match for a 10.

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
Soz. He hadn't been passing at all much in the early rounds. had to be under instruction though. He does actually throw a great pass. Still not the usual strength match for a 10.
I think if SH was pulling the strings at 10 next we would be middle of the pack team in Super Rugby AU.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Just noticed Blyth isn't named this weekend. Anyone know what is happening with him? Seems to have fallen out of favor, unless I've missed an injury