• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Why would you bench Tupou other then as work load management?

for tactical reasons. It may force other teams to leave their starting forwards on longer than desired to try to stop their replacements coming on and being destroyed. This adds to the amount of fatigue they are feeling and should open up more opportunities for us to score.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
That’s an interesting angle, but I don’t think it stacks up overall as a strategy.

Tupou is head and shoulder our best prop. I want him playing 60 minutes at least.

Reactions: dru

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Brad Thorn is absolute quality. That interview after the game summed up why I couldn't be happier with Qld rugby at the moment, win or lose. He totally gets it. Legend (and a GPS man, if only briefly!)

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
That’s an interesting angle, but I don’t think it stacks up overall as a strategy.

Tupou is head and shoulder our best prop. I want him playing 60 minutes at least.

He would play the last 60 minutes plus any overtime.

It also gives the option of extra rest for him if the starter is doing well.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
So there's talk about Bell being unhappy at the Waratahs and his contract expires at the end of the year.

Should the Reds go after him? Hoopert seems to have struggled with injuries for the past two seasons, leaving us with Zander.

With the Force having Robertson, the Brumbies have Sio and Slipper, it'd be a case of us and the Rebels battling for him.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
So there's talk about Bell being unhappy at the Waratahs and his contract expires at the end of the year.

Should the Reds go after him? Hoopert seems to have struggled with injuries for the past two seasons, leaving us with Zander.

With the Force having Robertson, the Brumbies have Sio and Slipper, it'd be a case of us and the Rebels battling for him.

Feao Fotuaika?

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)

I'm not sure Bell would balance our front row with his extra height with TT being about a meter cubed.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
His old man has some history in QLD does he not?

Personally if he's keen to come you'd be mad to say no if it made sense on a squad basis. He's a gun.

Reactions: dru

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Should they go back to Jordie at 13 & Hunter at 12, or should they retain Stewart at 12, or should they go with Droasese on the wing dropping Petaia?

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
Should they go back to Jordie at 13 & Hunter at 12, or should they retain Stewart at 12, or should they go with Droasese on the wing dropping Petaia?

I think Stuart has earned his 12 spot back Pataia needs to be so overwhelmingly good you can't ignore his form and lets face it he is not. I'm not advocating dropping Pataia as I think the only way to build his confidence back up is more game time from the wing, maybe ride the pine for a game or 2 but I wouldn't do it he just has too much upside.

Serge

Larry Dwyer (12)
Petaia has always been the victim of overhype since he started playing regularly against men. For his 10% X factor he has 60-70% poor ball handling/security, poor kicks, poor decision making and increasing lack of confidence; with the remaining 20-30% being just average. In the last game he looked lost/disinterested in the backplay. IMHO he does not warrant a place in Super Rugby in front of the guys who are performing consistently better and deserve their shot. I would send him back to QPR to develop his skills and confidence.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Petaia has always been the victim of overhype since he started playing regularly against men. For his 10% X factor he has 60-70% poor ball handling/security, poor kicks, poor decision making and increasing lack of confidence; with the remaining 20-30% being just average. In the last game he looked lost/disinterested in the backplay. IMHO he does not warrant a place in Super Rugby in front of the guys who are performing consistently better and deserve their shot. I would send him back to QPR to develop his skills and confidence.

That is a complete overreaction (in the negative) of what Petaia brings to the table.

I suspect that Petaia is struggling for the best slot to suit him. But his natural talents shine. We're lucky to have him.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Oh regarding Bell, I don't think he's enough of an upgrade (if an upgrade at all) over Nonggorr/Zander/Hoopert/Fotuaika to justify the much more money he'd demand. List management is more than just 'sign all the best players'. But height wouldn't be an issue, while Tupou is listed at 5'11" and Bell listed at 6'4" but Zander is 6'3", Hoopert is 6'3", and Nonggorr is listed at 6'2", Fotuaika is listed at only 6'1". So height isn't really an issue.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
That’s completely false.

In his first season he finished with a tackling success rate in the 90%s at a time when he was regularly left to cover 2 or more attackers.

Season 2 was a write off with injury.

A good portion of last season was too, but when he came back he was excellent in Super rugby right up until he hobbled off injured.

He struggled for the Wallabies and has struggled this year.

By all means advocate for him to return to QPR, but don’t make shit up.