• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
I like Mac and think he has a great future. If you look around World Rugby there are definitely 2 or 3 different prototypes at the top level . A smaller guy / broken field attacker ....it is rare that you see this type as a top class defender , however , Lee Halfpenny fits that bill , but , may not have the attacking chops of say ....a Damian McKenzie .

Another Downs guy ( via Central Queensland ) had an electric schoolboy career as well ....as I recall , probably at the same level and maybe a touch more than Mac. His name was Jonah Placid.

If I am naming the best 3 x Queensland Schoolboy fullbacks I saw from 2010 to 2020 I would probably place Jonah Placid at #2 behind Hamiso Tabui Fidow at #1 . I don't know that I would put Mac at #3 if I am honest .

It is a coin flip between Mac and Jayden Ngamanu (who also had a development contract with the Reds for a year or so ) - and that is a big complement to Mac.

Jonah Placid was possibly in the wrong situation at the Rebels , but , there was no denying he was very vulnerable under the high ball and it cost him.

That is my concern at the next level for Mac and why I am not sure that 15 is the answer for him . Intuitively , I think the answer for him could be at 13 . He has the humility and the smarts to make the adjustment. As it stands presently anyway ....I'd be more inclined to play Petaia at 15 . If I have a choice of an elite big guy with a power / broken field game at 15 or an elite smaller guy with a power / broken field game at 15 - I take the big guy. Izzy went OK there and while he isn't really the same type of athlete ....DHP is safe as safe under the ball and is a high percentage player (but is getting on a bit )

Nah ....if Tim Horan is mentoring him that is good to hear. No one better to talk with and discuss the nuances of midfield decision making in attack and defense. I would just play him a touch wider to get best advantage of that explosive first few yards in space - hence the interest in seeing him play some 13 to see how he goes.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I think the confusion is that you've said there is a lack of suitable 'mentors' for the young bloke, i don't think mentor is the right term for what you're trying to explain.

And i'll go back to the previous question i asked, do you have to be 'Tier 1' in a position to be able to effectively coach/mentor someone else in that role? When you look at the best coaches in the world, how many of them were world class rugby players?
Master and apprentice should have been what I said in my first comment. Agree, not every great player is a great teacher and vice versa.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Hamish running out with 50 caps tonight. Where has that time gone.

Hamish Stewart’s first lineup in 2017 against the Hurricanes:

Queensland Reds (v Hurricanes) Saturday, 6:45pm (AEST), Suncorp Stadium

1. Markus Vanzati
2. Stephen Moore (c)
3. Sam Talakai
4. Rob Simmons
5. Kane Douglas
6. Adam Korczyk
7. George Smith
8. Scott Higginbotham
9. James Tuttle
10. Jake McIntyre
11. Eto Nabuli
12. Duncan Paia’aua
13. Samu Kerevi
14. Chris Kuridrani
15. Karmichael Hunt

Reserves:
16. Andrew Ready
17. Kirwan Sanday
18. Taniela Tupou
19. Lukhan Tui
20. Hendrik Tui
21. Nick Frisby
22. Hamish Stewart
23. Izaia Perese

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Wow what a different team. I knew there had been some changes but only 3 players from that 2017 remain. Entire starting 15 gone.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Hamish Stewart’s first lineup in 2017 against the Hurricanes:

Queensland Reds (v Hurricanes) Saturday, 6:45pm (AEST), Suncorp Stadium

1. Markus Vanzati
2. Stephen Moore (c)
3. Sam Talakai
4. Rob Simmons
5. Kane Douglas
6. Adam Korczyk
7. George Smith
8. Scott Higginbotham
9. James Tuttle
10. Jake McIntyre
11. Eto Nabuli
12. Duncan Paia’aua
13. Samu Kerevi
14. Chris Kuridrani
15. Karmichael Hunt

Reserves:
16. Andrew Ready
17. Kirwan Sanday
18. Taniela Tupou
19. Lukhan Tui
20. Hendrik Tui
21. Nick Frisby
22. Hamish Stewart
23. Izaia Perese
Quade must have been injured that game.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Wow what a different team. I knew there had been some changes but only 3 players from that 2017 remain. Entire starting 15 gone.

Interesting that with such a rebuilding team that we were still invested in big names in their twilight. Or more accurately experienced bodies to lead the show. Moore, Simmons, Douglas, Smith, Higginbotham. Something that Waratahs might want to note and that we should respect wrt Force.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Interesting that with such a rebuilding team that we were still invested in big names in their twilight. Or more accurately experienced bodies to lead the show. Moore, Simmons, Douglas, Smith, Higginbotham. Something that Waratahs might want to note and that we should respect wrt Force.

Difference is though, Moore, Simmons, Douglas and Higginbotham were all Wallabies, or at least in the conversation during that era. The Force old heads are well past their used by date compared to them.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Difference is though, Moore, Simmons, Douglas and Higginbotham were all Wallabies, or at least in the conversation during that era. The Force old heads are well past their used by date compared to them.

Also, I needed to go back and remember things. Are re-build didn't really start until Thorn took the reins. There were plenty of false starts across many, many years before that. Thorn much more relied on building from the young players who came through the system with him.

Might have over-egged that one.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think you are right enough Dru. At the start Thorn still had guys like Moore, Smith & Higgers involved. He has also bought in guys like Speight, the Smith Brothers, Hegarty & O’Connor. Not all Wallabies, but proven Super Rugby players.

I think Thorn has always recognised the value of having some experience in the mix, but has just been very selective of who he has bought in. I think commercial reality has played its part too.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Some key take aways from last night.
- When JOC (James O'Connor) was pushing up in attack at the start and end of the game we looked red hot. When he played deep, we lost our way and let the Rebels in.
- Hegarty’s game at fullback was critical in our performance.
- McReight is all class and controls our forwards brilliantly.
- Tupou is a machine
- Bench depth keeps getting better from week to week.

What about Petaia? Weakest link right now. Does Thorn keep on persevering in hope that he snaps out of this rut, and gains focus.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Some key take aways from last night.
- When JOC (James O'Connor) was pushing up in attack at the start and end of the game we looked red hot. When he played deep, we lost our way and let the Rebels in.
- Hegarty’s game at fullback was critical in our performance.
- McReight is all class and controls our forwards brilliantly.
- Tupou is a machine
- Bench depth keeps getting better from week to week.

What about Petaia? Weakest link right now. Does Thorn keep on persevering in hope that he snaps out of this rut, and gains focus.

I wonder if Tupou would be concerned about coming from the bench rather than starting?

If he came on at 20-25 minutes he would be opposing a pack that is starting to fatigue and would also be on the field for the entire time that the opposition replacements are on, which he is proven to dominate.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I wonder if Tupou would be concerned about coming from the bench rather than starting?

If he came on at 20-25 minutes he would be opposing a pack that is starting to fatigue and would also be on the field for the entire time that the opposition replacements are on, which he is proven to dominate.
Tupou’s dominance at the start of the game sets the confidence for our forwards. We get momentum. I wouldn’t be changing that next week against the Brumbies.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Unpopular opinion but Petaia would benefit from some time at club rugby. A few weeks of shredding defences up to regain his confidence. I haven’t liked the look of him all year, whilst Paisami has taken leaps forward again.
100%. The kid has got some talent and needs some time to regroup. It’s been a tough year for him.