• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
The coaching team have made good progress with Paisami’s passing game and I’m not opposed to him playing inside centre, as long as Paisami finds the gaps and we get the ball to our runners.
Stewart is a valuable in defence but needs to get more strength and accuracy with his kicking game. He is a playmaker and a move to fullback will give us more plays.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
bench with CFS or Hegarty
Hegarty has 2021 with us and from posts on here I’m thinking CFS won’t be around next year.
With the display from our Reds boys in the Wallabies squad over the last few weeks I’m really looking forward to what the team can do in 2021. Since the beginning on 2020 the players have gone to the next level.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I said it I the wallabies thread, but Paisamis development in 12 months has been amazing.
I remember watching him during the NRC this time last year and criticising his performance, I think he was even dropped later on, then he trains the off season with the Reds and picks up a full-contract, and the rest is history.

Brad Thorn said at the start of the Super Rugby season he was one to watch, wasn’t wrong about that.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I can see some rotation next year with Stewart, Paisami & Petaia next year and also including the wingers. Despite how well Paisami is going Stewart was very good at 12 for the Reds and gave us good shape in our attack. Combinations are important, but so to us flexibility and depth. If Paisami can by effective at both 12 & 13 it is a huge bonus for the Reds.

Not sure if the fullback position will get included in that or not - just really depends on what Thorn thinks if the longer term standing of Campbell and/or Grealy.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah Stewart, is one of my favourite players at the Reds, I like his style and think he plays with a lot of heart. He may be the Reds version of Reece Hodge, although Hegarty plays that role pretty well as well.

At the end of the day you need 23 players to win a match, and over 30 players to win a championship. They’ll get their opportunities to start, and play off the bench.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
Correct me if I'm wrong but the Reds have no 10 back up for next year?

Stewart might be able to fill that hole off the bench.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I reckon 12 months ago most Reds fans would have said Stewart a chance of Wobs squad in 2020/21. How things change.

Definitely a good problem to have him, Paisami and Petaia all in the centres for now but Stewart may look elsewhere if he’s got the incumbent Wallabies in his way.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I reckon 12 months ago most Reds fans would have said Stewart a chance of Wobs squad in 2020/21. How things change.

Definitely a good problem to have him, Paisami and Petaia all in the centres for now but Stewart may look elsewhere if he’s got the incumbent Wallabies in his way.

I don’t think Stewart is that far off the mark TBH, I think he might be better suited to test rugby then Simone who’s currently there.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I thought Stewart was a chance of the 44 man squad but I think he is a fair way off being a test player.
I agree - but I guess if you get into the 44, your only ever an injury or two away.

Hopefully a TV deal will be sealed shortly and Reds finances will get a lift from an improvement in home crowds so we can hold onto guys like Stewart.

I guess the obvious assumption is that Paisami & Petaia will be the first choice centre pairing, but if Stewart can build again on this years season I still think he is a chance of winning the 12 jersey.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
For me the fullback spot is still up for grabs, I’m still not convinced Campbell has it locked down. Again if we look at form outside the Reds, he didn’t dominate when returning to clubland like I would have expected a starting Reds player to do especially in such a pivotal position.

I’d like to see both Stewart and Petaia have a crack there in preseason next year. I think Hegarty will be resolved to a bench spot, he’s got got utility value.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
I think Vunivalu could also be in with a shout at Fullback, especially during a trial. I don't think playing League does his skill set justice

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
With the finalisation of the Broadcast deal I was waiting to be flooded with confirmation of contracts for 2021. What are to predictions for 2021?

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Yeah Stewart, is one of my favourite players at the Reds, I like his style and think he plays with a lot of heart. He may be the Reds version of Reece Hodge, although Hegarty plays that role pretty well as well.

At the end of the day you need 23 players to win a match, and over 30 players to win a championship. They’ll get their opportunities to start, and play off the bench.
Stewart is an awesome playmaker with good defensive abilities. He was thrown into the the flyhalf position with huge expectations a bit too early but with his growth and experience over the past 3 years I think we can visit that option again depending on what JOC (James O'Connor)’s movements are in 2022. From what I’ve seen on the horizon we don’t have too many options channeling flyhalf in the coming years.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
With the finalisation of the Broadcast deal I was waiting to be flooded with confirmation of contracts for 2021. What are to predictions for 2021?

it was finalised yesterday! And that's just the domestic cash. More international to come.

Super Rugby draw set to come out this week, and I'd suggest we will see the signings announced (and possibly a squad announcement) within the next week or so