• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Interesting view LB but I strongly disagree re the branding.

I think you'll find the sum of people who strongly support their grassroots rugby club outweighs the number of people who identify as Reds fans, especially over the last few years with all the perceived and legitimate downfalls of the QRU administration.

Not saying your point of view is incorrect, there are definitely others like you, but I think most people would have enjoyed the fact that these NRC teams were stacked full of the guys who earned their spot via good seasons of club rugby and had the potential to develop into professionals.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)

I think you'll find the sum of people who strongly support their grassroots rugby club outweighs the number of people who identify as Reds fans, especially over the last few years with all the perceived and legitimate downfalls of the QRU administration.

Not saying your point of view is incorrect, there are definitely others like you, but I think most people would have enjoyed the fact that these NRC teams were stacked full of the guys who earned their spot via good seasons of club rugby and had the potential to develop into professionals.
I’m from a large rugby circle in QLD and can honestly tell you not one person supports a local club as the majority never played the game. I’m one of the few that actually played club rugby and can identify with a team (go Breakers) but wouldn’t say I support them at club level since I live away from the club. Don’t think any of the mates in Melbourne identify with a club over a Super Rugby team, most of them been Tahs, Reds or a UK team supporters, they are more likely to identify with their school.

I will add that the majority of them couldn’t give a rats about NRC either.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
From my perspective, the Q clubs didn’t feel they had the capacity to propose NRC teams. With some foresight QRU stepped in. Clever to ID the 2 NRC teams to the clubs in order to maintain interest from the club fans. On the whole it has worked well.

Brumbies, Rebels and Force only had one NRC team so the issue is moot - though I suspect there remains some anti-Vikings sentiment in ACT.

Sydney though, was a problem. Little apparent connection between NSWRU (let alone Waratahs inc) and SRU. Some SRU clubs stepped up, but on the whole the SRU felt they were bigger than this and that this tier of rugby should not just feature, but be based on them. And they activated deliberate sabotage campaigns.

Current liaison by RA with the stakeholders appears to have elicited little support for NRC from the franchises who afterall had bigger concerns. Their own survival. SRU pushed hard to be listened to and we seem to have more discussion from that point on a National club comp, and little for the time being on NRC.

We can complain as much as we want, but if the Shute Shield clubs are not engaged whatever happens is unlikely to prove sustainable.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yep from memory in QLD there were several proposals about clubs grouping themselves to form these teams, the main benefit being any revenue associated would be funneled directly to those clubs, rather than the QRU absorbing it, but they couldn't come to agreements on funding hence the QRU taking charge.

Reactions: dru

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
From my perspective, as a country rugby fan, I loved the NRC and getting to see Qld Country play, even if it was Country in name only. I saw country play a couple of times in Toowoomba at a good venue with a decent crowd. I know sponsorship and TV was important, but I think playing most of their games at Bond Uni was a missed chance to spread the game around the state.
The other thing that I found bemusing was the way the squads were chosen. I know they tried to link country boys with the Country team, but I think the only time some of the team had been in the country was when they travelled to Toowoomba to play TGS or Downlands, while the Smith brothers, both TGS Old Boys, played for City.
Still, for those of us brought up on country rugby, it was great to see such a big region represented on the national stage.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Agree Phoenix , I’ve spent the majority of my life living in Brisbane, but grew up in the country . I still identify more with the Qld Country jersey and love watching them stick it to the boys from the city even if it is in name only .

Think as a brand/rivalry Country v City works quite well .

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
As a non-Club person, I think it bridged the gap really well, all the club people were interested because they were following their club boys, and all the Reds people were invested to see the next generation. I really liked that the Q-NRC teams held games at various club grounds rather than at say Ballymore (although I think finals there was excellent), it's a boon for the club's to attract those followers who might not be associated etc. Being Brisbane based I didn't love Q-country often having games up north etc, but that's just me being selfish, and I did drive up to Toowoomba, or out to Bond a few times.

IMO the way the QRU handled the NRC is really the gold standard for it. If NSWRU/Waratahs did half as well with it the NRC would have been a ranging success. But they were embroidered in infighting and constant drama. Often they'd have zero Waratahs spots open so none of the club guys had any real reason to play (and try to get a Waratahs spot) etc.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
My biggest drama with NRC is Brisbane City playing a home game last year at Bond University.

I feel like bond got special treatment (they are a jersey sponsor FWIW)

Let’s keep the city teams play in Brisbane city and play as many games as possible away from Bond and showcase the game regionally.

I would be very interested to see how regional qld embraces the nrc from 2021 beyond knowing super rugby is on free to air tv and assuming Foxtel has never been high priority for regional qld... NRC could of seen a major uptick with channel 9 deal especially considering how little the AFL and NRL a has done with investing in the regional areas

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

In my ideal world a junior playing in the country would dream of one day moving from club rugby, whether that be a country club or a city club they moved to into the QLD Country team and city kids moving through to the Brisbane city team to get a shot at a Super Rugby contract.

The kids when old enough get a shot after a good club season.

I think any 5 year old playing or watching the game should know the pathway just as a league junior dreams of playing well at club level to pick up an NRL contract and then to State representation.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
As someone based in Qld Country - admittedly one of the weaker subunions - I don’t see it as realistic you are going to get kids progressing from Country Clubs direct to NRC. They need to move to Brisbane and play in the club comp there and be exposed to the best other club players.

People familiar with some of the stronger country sub unions might think differently.

But then you also have a whole heap of logistic issues with getting them together to train and form a team.

Personally I am fine with the reality that country kids need to move to Brisbane if they want a chance to play NRC. I know some others in this area wanted the Qld Country side to be picked from country based players, but I think the reality is that such team would get absolutely pumped and it would almost verge on being dangerous. I don’t want to watch that.

So then you have the option of basing the Qld Country side only on kids who grew up in the bush. I think that has merit, and think it should be a consideration - but I look at every other sport and they source players from wherever. If I can use an comparison with other teams - I couldn’t care less where Harry Wilson, Chris Latham, Greg Inglis & Allan Border were born. They are all Qlders to me. If a guy gets picked for Qld Country I am going to cheer for him. At the same time if the two best 13s are both country kids, I want the second best to be able to go play for another team and push his case, not spend his time on the pine.

The thing I want Qld Country to do is play home games in Country areas. I get that logistics/expense comes into it so most of their games still had to be SE Qld, but I loved having them visit Rocky & Gladstone and seeing them go to other regional areas. This gives us something to go to with our mates and take our kids too. Yes, we take them to local club games - but this is a chance for them to see the pathway in action.

I loved the NRC and I very much enjoyed cheering for Qld Country. I hope a way can be found to make it a viable part of the rugby season as it was great as an opportunity to identify and develop talent.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Ultimately i would like to see QPR feature teams from all the major sub unions, like FNQ, Darling Downs and Sunshine Coast. Obviously cost is an issue, but that would help facilitate the identification of talent in some of the regional areas and provide a pathway which doesn’t require them moving to Brisbane.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Ultimately i would like to see QPR feature teams from all the major sub unions, like FNQ, Darling Downs and Sunshine Coast. Obviously cost is an issue, but that would help facilitate the identification of talent in some of the regional areas and provide a pathway which doesn’t require them moving to Brisbane.
I just don’t see that as realistic.

I also don’t think you necessarily get a great outcome.

Rockhampton is rugby league heartland. Year in year out some of the best come from here with Cameron Munster and Harry Grant being the latest two. But the local Q Cup side is a perennial cellar dweller. There are a number of reasons, but two of the biggest are that Capras operate a significantly lower budget & NRL clubs don’t want to align with a team that isn’t based geographically where they are as they lose control of the players.

What works is having strong local pathways that talent ID kids well and engage them early and stay in contact. Then, when they finish school or maybe after 1 year bring them down.

I suspect there is a bit more potential for places like Toowoomba & Sunshine Coast but I am not really well placed to make an informed comment.

I am very passionate about wanting opportunities for country kids (boys and girls). I am very heavily involved in local rugby and, if I thought something would work I’d be on board. But the solution has to be pragmatic and I don’t think regional teams will ever be viable in QPR. Australia is a fantastic place to live but when it comes to things like this our massive size and low relative regional populations is a significant (I would suggest insurmountable) obstacle.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think there’s a difference between what is realistic and what is a good outcome. Cost wise it may be unrealistic, but I find it hard to believe that it wouldn’t be a positive outcome.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think there’s a difference between what is realistic and what is a good outcome. Cost wise it may be unrealistic, but I find it hard to believe that it wouldn’t be a positive outcome.
I guess it depends how theoretical you want to make the discussion.

It would require not only a vastly significant sum of money, but also lots of other significant changes.

And it depend what you mean by a positive outcome. I am friends with one of the former Capras Coaches. When he took the job he was very clear about the constraints he was up against and explained he was happy to take the job so long as the Capras management/board were happy that the team would be used to promote/develop young talent and wins would be rare. He was hired on that basis and he had some success based on the KPIs he aimed to deliver on.

Throughout his term he fell out with several friends who were sponsors, he was routinely bagged by local media, the team was generally disliked by the local community and he was sacked by the board who appointed him for being unable to achieve an outcome which they had previously agreed was unattainable.

The follow up coach was given more support and more money then my friend ever had access to deliver the result that my friend couldn’t. He came in with huge wraps and a big reputation. He failed and left after 2 dismal seasons.

Every case is different. But I remain sceptical that it would ever work without seismic changes to both the spread of the Australian population and a vastly different Tier 2 competition structure.

If teleporting ever became a real thing, that could help.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
For what it’s worth, if people smarter than me (and there are plenty of them) think it would work - knock yourself out. I’d love to see it happen.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
As someone based in Qld Country - admittedly one of the weaker subunions - I don’t see it as realistic you are going to get kids progressing from Country Clubs direct to NRC. They need to move to Brisbane and play in the club comp there and be exposed to the best other club players.

Totally agree, but those kids should know that playing for a Brisbane club does not stop them playing for QLD Country.

If NRC is seen as a representative club competition then the expectation of Brisbane teams may be for their player to represent Brisbane City.

It would be great if Australia had another Steve Merrick who could play at the highest level while playing for a country team. (if anyone hasn't heard of him or is too young he is worth looking up https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/aug/13/the-forgotten-story-of-steve-merrick)
The forgotten story of ... Steve Merrick, rugby union’s last amateur
The coalminer plucked from the bush to play two Bledisloe Cup Tests turned down the offer of a professional contract in favour of heading straight back home

Reactions: TSR

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I guess it depends how theoretical you want to make the discussion.

It would require not only a vastly significant sum of money, but also lots of other significant changes.

And it depend what you mean by a positive outcome. I am friends with one of the former Capras Coaches. When he took the job he was very clear about the constraints he was up against and explained he was happy to take the job so long as the Capras management/board were happy that the team would be used to promote/develop young talent and wins would be rare. He was hired on that basis and he had some success based on the KPIs he aimed to deliver on.

Throughout his term he fell out with several friends who were sponsors, he was routinely bagged by local media, the team was generally disliked by the local community and he was sacked by the board who appointed him for being unable to achieve an outcome which they had previously agreed was unattainable.

The follow up coach was given more support and more money then my friend ever had access to deliver the result that my friend couldn’t. He came in with huge wraps and a big reputation. He failed and left after 2 dismal seasons.

Every case is different. But I remain sceptical that it would ever work without seismic changes to both the spread of the Australian population and a vastly different Tier 2 competition structure.

If teleporting ever became a real thing, that could help.

About 10-15 years ago the QRU were actively looking at including FNQ and Darling Downs in the QPR, meanwhile Sunshine Coast were still in the competition. However It ultimately came down to a cost decision over who paid for the travel, it would have cost around $250k for the season.

This year in the Shute Shield, they’ve added a Newcastle team. Which is a similar travel burden to a Darling Downs team. I don’t see it as been unrealistic or unachievable. Gold Coast Breakers withdrew from the QPR before Bond took over and rebuilt them into a credible rugby force. Didn’t happen overnight, however with the right support and benefactors it can happen.

Could approach USQ for the Darling Downs, and JCU for FNQ and get them involved.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
It would be great if Australia had another Steve Merrick who could play at the highest level while playing for a country team
Thats not quite true. It was in the days prior to super rugby and he had played that season for the Waratahs before getting the call up. The story is more that after his second test he turned his back on professional rugby. He played for the cockatoos for years and was straight into the bungers after the game.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
The pathway needs to be clear. Each QPR club should create an alliance to a QLD region. Form strong relationships so when a kid does decide to move to the city they already have a network at a particular club (doesn't mean they have to go there but it is a start). NRC should be based on North v South of the River clubs. This then makes it easier for a supporter to follow. Currently my club has players on both teams so who am I to support?

Reactions: TSR