• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

dru

Tim Horan (67)
After that Wallaby season personally I am hoping that Thorn and his crew pay little attention to representational “honour” as they determine selection, make up, game play and strategy for the Reds.

To start with Stewart is the incumbent 12. Anyone wanting to take it from him should consider themselves starting that task today.

Let’s quickly get back to Thorn-ball.

Gervais_rugbylives

Allen Oxlade (6)
I don't base my opinion of Jordy solely on his Wallaby performance. It's just my opinion that from what I have seen of him at 13 and on the wing at both super and national level, maybe his talents are best shown on the wing.

I agree that Thorn should pay little attention to positions that were played in the Wallaby series.

Reactions: dru

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
The reason I will pound the table for jordy at 15 is because of his running and ability under the high ball.

He can get just as much touches playing fullback as he would at 13 but maybe a little more because his under the high ball and running it back.

Anyways I will leave the roster positions for Brad and just cheer on my team no matter the makeup of the match day 23

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I could not agree more. From a branding perspective, all should be done to strengthen rather than dilute.
That sounds great on theory, but do the other super rugby teams have local comps of a sufficient standard to fill out two feeder teams without a large drop in quality?

The standard of the NRC was pretty good IMO and there seemed to be a good balance between the Super rugby players who weren’t Wallaby squad members, the best of the local talent and the introduction of the up and comers. If we add 3 more teams to the competition would that weaken it too much.

Cost is also a sufficient issue - particular given at this moment we don’t even know that the NRC will return due to cost.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
That sounds great on theory, but do the other super rugby teams have local comps of a sufficient standard to fill out two feeder teams without a large drop in quality?

The standard of the NRC was pretty good IMO and there seemed to be a good balance between the Super rugby players who weren’t Wallaby squad members, the best of the local talent and the introduction of the up and comers. If we add 3 more teams to the competition would that weaken it too much.

Cost is also a sufficient issue - particular given at this moment we don’t even know that the NRC will return due to cost.

I don’t think that is a problem. Each franchise can dig into the whole of Australia, they just need to make a case to the players that is convincing.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)

Surely the first players selected for NRC would be the non Wallaby Super players from the squad. Then take the best club players available to trial for a Super Rugby contract. Maybe add in some 20 year old development players and the two teams start to fill pretty quickly.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I guess we wait and see. At this point I am not aware of any concrete plan to resume the NRC. If RA can put to together a high quality NRC with 10 teams, make it financially viable and make it a clear Tier 3 comp - ie a clear step up in quality from the club rugby comps then I agree that would be fantastic. At the very least it gives us something to talk about for the time being.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Nasser, Ryan Smith and Tualima re-signed until 2022, Sorovi re-signed for 2021. Some more signings to be announced, mostly academy promotions and re-signings
62DAA5F3-A42B-4C60-B285-BB4C55D0AD0A.jpeg

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
With regard to feeder teams into Super teams, thought it was interesting that the Reds was the only team not to have an "A" Team in the first half of the season before COVID.

Brumbies , Rebels and Tahs all had second teams that played effectively as trials earlier in the year and gave quite a few of their fringe players some valuable time on the field. The teams were mostly made up of the non match day squad members with development and Academy players filling in the gaps.

I know cost is a big factor , but can see some value in a couple of double headers early in the season next year , with the A teams playing the curtain raiser for the Super AU games. They can head back to QPR and the like once those seasons kick off.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
On LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) red card on the weekend, be interesting to see how many games he is banned for because that will impact on the Reds first few rounds next year.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'm pretty sure any game of rugby counts towards it - wasn't there a bit of off-season rorting going on a couple years back with suspended blokes being named in 7s teams and club teams and then not playing, so they would count towards a suspension.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Nasser, Ryan Smith and Tualima re-signed until 2022, Sorovi re-signed for 2021. Some more signings to be announced, mostly academy promotions and re-signingsView attachment 11958
Interesting that Tualima & Smith have been signed for 2 years.

That shows some confidence in them IMO.

If they were just seen as place fillers you’d sign them to 1 yr wouldn’t you and put pressure on them to secure an extension.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Probably more a reflection of the current professional environment, pressure coming from three major international competitions (European, Japan and MLR) as well as other franchises means you've got to lock blokes down when you can. Big tall second rowers with ability seem to be in short supply.

Reactions: TSR

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) suspended for first 2 rounds of 2021 Super Rugby AU after getting 4 weeks for his high tackle in the game against Argentina.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
With regard to feeder teams into Super teams, thought it was interesting that the Reds was the only team not to have an "A" Team in the first half of the season before COVID.

Brumbies , Rebels and Tahs all had second teams that played effectively as trials earlier in the year and gave quite a few of their fringe players some valuable time on the field. The teams were mostly made up of the non match day squad members with development and Academy players filling in the gaps.

I know cost is a big factor , but can see some value in a couple of double headers early in the season next year , with the A teams playing the curtain raiser for the Super AU games. They can head back to QPR and the like once those seasons kick off.
We need an A Team. Looking at the signings from the start of 2020 going into 2021 we should have a spare few dollars floating around. The clubs might be able to chip in a few dollars.