• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Just listened to the Pick and Drive Rugby Podcast from a couple of weeks ago, it is a Reds preview and has a long interview with Liam Wright.

Well worth a listen, and Wright is quite impressive too.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Very excited for 2021 seasons

I think Thor made the jump to being an actual star in 2020, and I’m expecting to see similar from Wilson this year.

I’m tempering my expectations for the backline until a few weeks into the comp. Seems to be a lot of chiefs and not enough spots, they’ll need to figure out the best combination without stepping on each others toes. Would also love for Petaia to get a string of games under his belt.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Qld 7s squad for this weekend.

Anyone know much about anyone?

Queensland Squad

1. Charlie McKill
2. Connor Clancy
3. Hayden Sargeant
4. Joseph Faulalo
5. Jordan Luke
6. Lachlan Sperling
7. Lathaniel Tiatia
8. Louis Werchon
9. Neal McNamara
10. Nick Weller
11. Nick Chapman
12. Ryan Menzies
13. Shane Kennedy
14. Tiko Twist

I know Chapman, Luke, Sargent and McNamara. Any insight on the others?

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I am guessing that is Jordan Luke who was recently with the Force. From what I remember of a few years back, big bulldozing centre with few frills.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The Reds are the team that excite me the most this year. Very keen to see what Vunivalu can do, and generally to see the youngish team kick on a bit.

One bloke i hope really kicks on is BPA. We need an in form hooker and he seemed to be the pick by the end of last year.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Charlie McKill From Nudgee, spent a bit of time in Scotland and was training in the squad for the Scotland 7s team, don’t believe he was ever capped though.

Joseph Faulalo Is a back rower from sunnybank, same age group as Josh Flook, has played a bit of rep rugby with Brisbane City U19s

Lachlan Sperling and Connor Clancy are both UQ outside backs, have played a fair bit of the QPR 7s and stood out during that, nominated in the QPR 7s dream team.

Louis Werchon from the Sunshine Coast, just finished school last year but has represented at the Australian Youth 7s tournament during school. Looks a promising young player.

Ryan Menzies from Bond was the 2019 QPR player of the series, solid player.

Tiko Twist was in Canberra after school, fast outside back

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Louis Werchon from the Sunshine Coast, just finished school last year but has represented at the Australian Youth 7s tournament during school. Looks a promising young player.

awesome update Adam thanks. I've actually seen Werchon play a fair bit. Super talented player. WAsn't overly impressed with his on-field demeanor, but I guess he's just a typical chippy scrumhalf.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Conor Clancy was player of the tournament at the 2019 Brisbane 7s .

Sperling very quick outside back who has had an unlucky run of injury set backs , otherwise probably would have seen more Prem grade time with UQ.

Not sure what Nick Weller has done since leaving school , but played fullback for GT’s First XV in 2014, same year as Alex Horan and Connor Maroney. Very good counter attack and quick , or all least was ......

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Got my reds membership card in email form last night. Good to see they are being proactive about it.

I tried to renew on the Reds website tonight and it gives me a "404 - file or directory not found" error so they wont get my money tonight, it looks like a phone call will be required for me to renew.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
anyone get some good takeaways from the trial? I was watching it on my phone while at a family gathering so not the best environment for analysis.

Main take away was the set piece in the first half at least was poor. Nasser in the lineout and perhaps at scrum time too? Bit of a mix and match backrow though which can impact the scrum.

Thomas looked out of his depth early too. But that probably isn't unexpected.

Who caught the eye?

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Uru. Try aside, some good runs and solid defence.

He'll make a great bench impact player if Wright, McReight and Wilson continue to be starters.

Hard to judge the Reds though. It was a fairly scrappy game. Liked Stewart. Feel that kind of scrappy game suits him. Jock showed glimpses of the same running game that earned him a lot of praise last year.

Maul was pretty good for the Reds. Often made good metres. Needs to be a bit tighter. Tahs disrupted one that had been making good ground.