• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and Uru options too

Options yeah, i wouldn’t start ASY (Angus Scott-Young) at lock though. If Thorn was looking at Uru as a lock, thought he would have given him time there on Friday but don’t think he did. Hopefully Wrights injury isn’t too bad, otherwise ASY (Angus Scott-Young) might be starting at 6 anyway.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
God you guys are bloody harsh. That was probably a Reds 3rd XV up against what will be pretty close to the Waratahs starting XV, and while the 'Tahs are lacking more than a few star players they are still a Super quality side.

The front row battled hard, I think both Zander and Nonggorr acquitted themselves very well against an excellent 'Tahs front row, would I have them starting for the Wallabies obviously not. But would I give them some burn off the bench, if the game looks well in hand absolutely. Would I have them start if our first choice front row goes down ... only after I've called the Smith boys.

Uru looks like he might be starting to live up to his potential & promise. He COULD be a more dynamic Naisarani (so nothing like Naisarani haha). Boy can he run the ball! He can jump & tackle, and has a high work rate around the ruck. Obviously he's got a long way to go, but he should be in the back row mix. Behind Wright, Wilson and McReight, perhaps neck and neck with the tireless Swiss-army-knife that is ASY (Angus Scott-Young).

Stewart looked determined to put his best foot forward for the 12 jersey... or was it Micheal Hooper's vacant Wallabies Jersey?
Similarly Campbell had some nice touches although didn't stamp as much authority as Stewart (or perhaps didn't play as much).
Hegarty was actually quite good, still clearly a backup flyhalf at best, but he's a really nice bench option. JOC (James O'Connor) is clearly the starting flyhalf, but I'd be having a look at Stewart there again, he's looking really composed at Super Rugby level.
I think we need to keep O'Connor at flyhalf he's comfortable playing there, he's embracing the position, heck he's the Wallabies flyhalf.

I'd be picking something like this:
1) Hoopert
2) BPA
3) Tupou
4) Blyth
5) LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (maybe ASY (Angus Scott-Young) for game 1&2)
6) Wright
7) McReight
8) Wilson
9) Tate
10) JOC (James O'Connor)
11) Daugunu
12) Stewart
13) Pisami
14) Vuni
15) Campbell

16) Zander
17) Feao
18) Mafi?
19) ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (Tualima G1&2?)
20) Uru
21) Sorovi
22) Hegarty
23) Jordie

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
God you guys are bloody harsh. That was probably a Reds 3rd XV up against what will be pretty close to the Waratahs starting XV, and while the 'Tahs are lacking more than a few star players they are still a Super quality side.

The front row battled hard, I think both Zander and Nonggorr acquitted themselves very well against an excellent 'Tahs front row, would I have them starting for the Wallabies obviously not. But would I give them some burn off the bench, if the game looks well in hand absolutely. Would I have them start if our first choice front row goes down . only after I've called the Smith boys.

Uru looks like he might be starting to live up to his potential & promise. He COULD be a more dynamic Naisarani (so nothing like Naisarani haha). Boy can he run the ball! He can jump & tackle, and has a high work rate around the ruck. Obviously he's got a long way to go, but he should be in the back row mix. Behind Wright, Wilson and McReight, perhaps neck and neck with the tireless Swiss-army-knife that is ASY (Angus Scott-Young).

Stewart looked determined to put his best foot forward for the 12 jersey. or was it Micheal Hooper's vacant Wallabies Jersey?
Similarly Campbell had some nice touches although didn't stamp as much authority as Stewart (or perhaps didn't play as much).
Hegarty was actually quite good, still clearly a backup flyhalf at best, but he's a really nice bench option. JOC (James O'Connor) is clearly the starting flyhalf, but I'd be having a look at Stewart there again, he's looking really composed at Super Rugby level.
I think we need to keep O'Connor at flyhalf he's comfortable playing there, he's embracing the position, heck he's the Wallabies flyhalf.

1) Hoopert
2) BPA
3) Tupou
4) Blyth
6) Wright
7) McReight
8) Wilson
9) Tate
10) JOC (James O'Connor)
11) Daugunu
12) Stewart
13) Pisami
14) Vuni
15) Campbell

16) Zander
17) Feao
18) Mafi?
20) Uru
21) Sorovi
22) Hegarty
23) Jordie
We have been building this side for 4 years and we are rolling with the notion that we can actually win the National comp this year. Emotions and expectations are high, and we are all sitting on the edge of our seats wanting the best team rolled out for 2021. This is a crucial year for us (and Thorn). Last year there were lots of up and downs with COVID, player departures and injuries, but we proved we are capable of winning. It’s been a long time since 2011, and when you’re so close to getting that trophy emotions are heightened.

Interesting that you didn’t include Petaia in the starting 15. It’s been mentioned on this thread that Petaia would prefer to play fullback which is interesting as that is where I would have had him developing for the past 2 years. I have no idea where his kicking is at, and this is possibly why Thorn hasn’t put him there.
I’m expecting Stewart to step us a level this season. I like him at 12 but still think he can be a predominant flyhalf if given another chance. His maturity and consistency has improved over the past 3 years.

I like your suggestion about the Smith brothers. Are they still in Australia?

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I like your suggestion about the Smith brothers. Are they still in Australia?

The Smith boys have been signed by the Los Angeles based Giltini's in the MLR. They've been offered foundation roles to help grow the club and also get them a foothold on player management in the USA. My understanding is their long term plan revolves around stepping down from playing over the next few years (they turn 31 this year) and transition into coaching roles within the Giltinis/MLR and also work on their player management business, getting Aussie players to come and play in the MLR will be their first focus.

This is obviously all contingent on the MLR competition being successful. There has already been one team pull out from the comp this year. But barring the comp being called off, I think they are gone.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
God you guys are bloody harsh.

Not really, it was messy rather than a quality gap. But it was a trial, as I said, different story with Round 1 and the First XV.

1) Hoopert
2) BPA
3) Tupou
4) Blyth
6) Wright
7) McReight
8) Wilson
9) Tate
10) JOC (James O'Connor)
11) Daugunu
12) Stewart
13) Pisami
14) Vuni
15) Campbell

16) Zander
17) Feao
18) Mafi?
20) Uru
21) Sorovi
22) Hegarty
23) Jordie

Don't mind that team. Some thoughts:

Harsh or otherwise, we look underdone once we test depth in the tight 5. Bench second row demonstrates this in the first two rounds as does Feao on the bench front row.

I would not have Stewart, Paisami, Campbell, Hegarty and Jordie (all together) in the 23.

Personally 12: Stewart, 13: Whoever takes it between Paisami and Petaia, 15: Campbell, unless Petaia a) misses 13 and b) kicks well enough. I'd have Hegarty on the bench and Campbell drops out in this case.

Alternate is 12: Paisami, 13: Petaia, 15: Campbell/Hegarty, bench: Stewart. But I do think the centres are not as strong for the team for now, even if there is a higher ceiling. I think Hegarty drops out in this case.

Of course, we have no idea of current training form or Thorn's game considerations. Thoughts could change quickly once we see everyone playing.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Wright is probably one of the positions we can most cover with ASY (Angus Scott-Young) & Uru both looking good. Looks like Tualima/Smith get a start in the row for a few weeks and the other is on the bench.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
True. And he does seem to me to be a bit of a leader in the pack, but given it’ll be a caretaker captain I reckon the won’t want to change it when LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is available.

From an outsiders perspective, being that there is no clear leading candidate they might share it around a little.

Would not be surprised to see ASY (Angus Scott-Young) get a turn also.