• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
As reported by Wayne Smith in 'The Australian', "But he is not a member of the player-voted leadership group."
This might effect his chances.

ok. Interesting. Didn't see that. Did they list who were? Assume Bryce and JOC (James O'Connor) at least were. Gees I'd hate to see O'Connor as a Reds captain after all the shit he's pulled over the years. Bryce won't start surely? I can't think who else it would be.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
As reported by Wayne Smith in 'The Australian', "But he is not a member of the player-voted leadership group."

ok. Interesting. Didn't see that. Did they list who were? Assume Bryce and JOC (James O'Connor) at least were. Gees I'd hate to see O'Connor as a Reds captain after all the shit he's pulled over the years. Bryce won't start surely? I can't think who else it would be.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Has anyone mentioned Tate yet?

We went alright last time we named thr scrum half as caretaker captain....

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I agree O'Connor captaining the side after the rubbish with the Chiefs that wen't on during the off season. But he's probably the best option. He'll be in every starting XV he's fit for (heck he'd be in just about any Wallabies XV too). He's a fantastic leader, he's very good with the media, he has a very good rugby head.
But even beyond those issues I'd prefer the Reds look at a younger guy to lead them, McReight or Wilson would probably be my pick, perhaps Tate although we have Mo' who's too good to not play so you'd have Tate coming off for 20-30 min or so every game. Not entirely convinced that's always a bad thing gives you a chance to expose some of the other young leaders to the job, but also leaves you with that uneasiness & uncertainty when you should be closing out games.

McReight is probably my pick, he's captained the U20's and the Brisban City, having said that if Wright is your guy McReight could cast doubt on that, especially if someone like Seru Uru steps up to meet his potential. Uru could easily be that real Test 8 with Wilson playing 6 & McReight 7.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think Wilson has earned the right to stay at 8. Uru would be starting at 6 and take his chances. Haven't seen enough fro. Uru to say he's make the backrow ahead of ASY (Angus Scott-Young) so he may be good bench cover where he'd end up playing a bit of 8 as Wilson will probably come off with about 20mins to go.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Oh, I'm not suggesting Uru would be starting week one, but more speculating as to where he could get to with a half dozen Super Rugby Games. He looked very impressive in the trial. And could/would be getting close to being on par with ASY (Angus Scott-Young) at least from the trial.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Still cant believe ASY (Angus Scott-Young) hasn't transitioned into a lock in the same mold as his coach.

Thorn 195cm and 114kgs v ASY (Angus Scott-Young) 194cm and 108kgs (stats from reds website).

Mr Tank

Herbert Moran (7)
Some good banter from the Reds on Instagram

Attachments

• 488D580B-0F68-41F0-AE7D-01AC60DE7F7F.jpeg
    488D580B-0F68-41F0-AE7D-01AC60DE7F7F.jpeg
    357.7 KB · Views: 193

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Still cant believe ASY (Angus Scott-Young) hasn't transitioned into a lock in the same mold as his coach.

Thorn 195cm and 114kgs v ASY (Angus Scott-Young) 194cm and 108kgs (stats from reds website).

I doubt ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is 108kgs

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’d like to see McReight being allowed to focus on his development as a player at this stage. Future leader absolutely. But let’s let him find his feet.

That said, it is hard to pick the obvious next choice.

I do think LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) seems to be something of a talisman in the pack and, from what I’ve heard, a considered, thoughtful player (edit: well, except the bit where he gets himself sent of for a completely lazy high shot). But his suspension rules him out, initially at least.

My next choices would probably be ASY (Angus Scott-Young) or Stewart. Both of them have a few more years experience and seem quite assured as players. I’m not sure whether Stewart will get the nod to start though. But I think ASY (Angus Scott-Young) should. I’ve been impressed with Uru, but I think ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is the better option at this stage.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I do agree ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is a good captaincy choice, I just don't know that he'll have a lock on his starting spot, I think Uru isn't above him, but a few games in that could / would be a big question and you don't want your captain under selection pressure (perhaps interim captain it's more okay).

I'm torn on McReight, on one hand he's got the pedigree / background, but maybe he puts Wright's long term captaincy future under pressure (perhaps the Reds don't want that), perhaps it's too much pressure on a very young McReight... his only focus this year should be the Wallabies 7 Jersey.

JOC (James O'Connor) is a good option, he'll be in any XV he's in the leadership group, he's got a hell of a lot of experience, but his unpleasantness with the Chiefs leaves a bad taste.

Stewart is an interesting name to put forwards he'll be under a lot of selection pressure, with Paisami & Petaia both vying for those center spots. But he's got the rugby head that would make a good captain. He's probably the leader of the Reds defense last year.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Based on what?

Well lets put it this way, Harry Wilson and Isi Naisarani are reportedly 108 - 110 kg. Whereas Pete Samu and Liam Wright are reportedly 101 - 102kg, I’d say ASY (Angus Scott-Young) plays a lot closer in weight to Wright/Samu then he does Wilson/Naisarani.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Is ASY (Angus Scott-Young) on the list?

Preference
ASY (Angus Scott-Young) best choice if run on
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) next best choice
Fraser McReight is a true leader but let him mark his territory in the game first. Give him a couple of years.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I think ASY (Angus Scott-Young) has more in the bank than Uru does to get the starting nod. More importantly, ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is carries himself pretty well infront of the cameras as well.

Did Sam Scott-Young ever captain the Reds? He was well before my time so I've got no clue.