• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

B

Bobby Sands

Interesting that the Reds have picked Josh Nasser as reserve hooker. I hope it goes well for him. He has been reasonably good around the paddock but his scrumaging has been second rate. He could barely hold up a scrum in club rugby let alone in Super Rugby so the move from tight head to hooker could be a stroke of genius.

The other interesting selection is Flook at 13 instead of Petaia. Are they trying to shield Petaia by playing him on the wing? I thought his position was 13, so it is a bit perplexing that they would keep him on the wing when Hunter was ruled out. Is this a mistake or another stroke of genius?

Nasser move makes sense to me, hope it goes well. Good around the paddock, can't scrummage, can throw a lineout. Sounds like a hooker.

Flook at 13 also makes sense to me tbh.

Flook doesn't seem to have any obvious "weapons" but is just a very handy footballer, maybe like a Conrad Smith type.

Petaia has all the weapons in that he is fast, big, skilful etc.

Flook is also a very good defender (not that Jordan isn't) and will do well in closer, due to lack of dynamism he will never be a great top flight winger.

Jordy could be the best 13 in the world, but he could also be the best 11,14 and who knows maybe 15.

I tend to think they also want him avoiding needless traffic as he gets his body right.

Smart selections to me.

B

Bobby Sands

I was listening to 2SM Talkin' Sport here in Sydney yesterday - Brett Papworth is on the panel a few days a week along with ex-league players Graeme Hughes and Peter Tunks and ex-cricketer Gav Robertson. The Echidnas Club President (I think) called in to talk about exactly this - Mack playing for them last weekend. It's a great call/interview about a good grassroots rugby story. He talks about how Mack has been staying at the family property after the Tahs didn't invite him back post-Covid and he's likely to go to USA next year to play. Apparently he just showed up at training and asked if he could train and get a game. funnily enough they said yes. Sounds like a top young bloke. Drew a huge crowd to the game.

If anyone wants to listen to it here is the link to the show for Tuesday 19 Aug - https://2smsupernetwork.com/talkin-sport-on-the-19th-of-august/

Launch the audio player and go to around 1:24:00 on the timer when the call starts.

Don't listen to the rest of the how unless you want to hear their usual band of crazy regulars.usually just endless calls about the league bunker.. but I find it strangely addictive when stuck in traffic.

Mods - hope it's OK to add this link.

I enjoyed this alot.

Thanks for sharing.

I have a massive soft spot for the Darling Downs comp, and think we need to identify more bush talent as a massive priority.

B

Bobby Sands

In addition to Mac Grealy, a few other bush lads that are definitely on the periphery would be Brad Twidale, Kye Oates and Landon Hayes.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'd find it amusing if he came on and nailed all his lineout throws.

So he got the shit throw out of his system. It's a pity there is the Reds bubble as he would benefit from the rest of the season playing 2 for Uni in Premier Grade. Heeno runs a great lineout. Josh could hopefully develop like Cibba Hanson who was a prop at school and switched to hooker when he moved to club rugby.

J

JeepsTragic

So he got the shit throw out of his system. It's a pity there is the Reds bubble as he would benefit from the rest of the season playing 2 for Uni in Premier Grade. Heeno runs a great lineout. Josh could hopefully develop like Cibba Hanson who was a prop at school and switched to hooker when he moved to club rugby.

Didn't Steve Moore do the same? I am sure I remember Greg Martin saying that Moore played tight head at school.

B

Bobby Sands

Chibba was never a prop at school, atleast to my knowledge and I played both with and against him.

In fact he played alot of 5/8th when he was much younger.

He was a pretty good hooker at school, but there was a better one getting around called James Charalambous, but he did a few ACLs and the rest is history.

But to your primary point, I agree, I reckon Nasser could be a really good hooker.

B

Bobby Sands

Chibba says he was a prop in the 1st XV in grade 11 here (if I'm honest I probably just want to link to a video of Terrace beating Nudgee)
https://youtu.be/F0IkCYHdbqs?t=70

For what its worth, I think the move by Nasser is a good one.

Happy to stand corrected.

But he was definitely a 2 in year 10 & year 12.

GT won premiership when he was year 11 and I don’t think he was the starting prop (almost certain). But maybe he played a game or two?

Anyway, not digging heals in, just saying he was always or primarily a two.

Great footage though - one of the epic rivalries.

The Grey Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
What did you think of Ed Craigs performance at Hooker before Covid-19 shutdown?

He is tearing it up in Shute Shield. He is Australia's most consistent and accurate lineout thrower.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
To be honest I barely remember him getting time. I remember him going on for his debut and getting a head knock and having to come off and that’s about it.