• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Maybe on Shambeckler. Is Mason what we need though? I genuinely believe we need a true play-making 10 not a distributor. We went through a long period of creating distributors - Jake, Stewart. It’s been a while since I saw Mack but a Reds pedigree from that period isn’t the first place I’d be looking.
Mack Mason is a true play making flyhalf he was just stuck behind Foley with no game time to develop. Not playing high end footy for 3 years can’t be good, but his skills are there he just needs time on the field. I’d move JOC (James O'Connor) (not a classic flyhalf) out one and let the centres fight it out. Petaia to fullback.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Without wanting to spruik the Shute Shield too much on a Reds thread, the Reds should look at Tane Edmend playing for 10 for Eastwood. The Tahs already have Harrison and Donaldson signed so Edmend is unlikely to get a contract with them. I know there are young 10s coming through the ranks in QLD like Carter Gordon but he's a seriously good young player and Australian rugby would benefit if he could land a Super contract in the next couple of years.
He can kick and pass but not a Super Rugby team’s director. More suited to inside centre.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Mack Mason is a true play making flyhalf he was just stuck behind Foley with no game time to develop. Not playing high end footy for 3 years can’t be good, but his skills are there he just needs time on the field. I’d move JOC (James O'Connor) (not a classic flyhalf) out one and let the centres fight it out. Petaia to fullback.

Completely overrated player. He played plenty of Shute Shield but didn't stand out. Sometime players just aren't good enough.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Thanks Rob. What is he 24/25?

How is the academy going with possible future 10s? Seems to me it needs bolstering with potentials ring fenced from Piccone.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Unfortunately the Waratahs didn’t know his value and was held back.

This point gets raised over and over again yet the Waratahs had the Wallaby 10 starting through Mason's entire tenure. They now have Harrison who has looked better in his first year than Mason ever did and is in the Wallaby squad.

Tane Edmed looks consistently more impressive at Shute Shield level than Mason ever did and he's got a development contract with the Waratahs.

Is it maybe a case of Mason not being that great? I don't think it's a coincidence that the playmakers from our under 20s teams that had poor results at the World Championships have never really developed into strong professionals whilst our playmakers from last year where we narrowly missed out on winning the competition look like good professional players already (and some of them will play test rugby in their first season of Super Rugby).

By all means, go for your life and sign Mason but I reckon there are a bunch of younger players who are already better.

Reactions: mst

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This point gets raised over and over again yet the Waratahs had the Wallaby 10 starting through Mason's entire tenure. They now have Harrison who has looked better in his first year than Mason ever did and is in the Wallaby squad.

Tane Edmed looks consistently more impressive at Shute Shield level than Mason ever did and he's got a development contract with the Waratahs.

Is it maybe a case of Mason not being that great? I don't think it's a coincidence that the playmakers from our under 20s teams that had poor results at the World Championships have never really developed into strong professionals whilst our playmakers from last year where we narrowly missed out on winning the competition look like good professional players already (and some of them will play test rugby in their first season of Super Rugby).

By all means, go for your life and sign Mason but I reckon there are a bunch of younger players who are already better.

I'd like to know who personally. Something has happened when our young stars (Gordon bros v 2 to the Rebels; Lolesio to Brumbies; Parata to Crusaders; Pasitoa to Brumbies even Mason to Storm) and I am sure others, head elsewhere straight after school. Perhaps its the scholarship system that creates a mercenary leaning from the get go.

But I can't see much talent of that ilk coming through. As for Mason - he kicked the winning goal to secure the first ever Jnr Wallaby win over NZL, as HJ Nelson mentioned here. Mason was even MOM.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd like to know who personally.

Mason, Debreczeni, MacIntyre, Burton. I'm sure I'm missing a couple too.

As for Mason - he kicked the winning goal to secure the first ever Jnr Wallaby win over NZL, as HJ Nelson mentioned here. Mason was even MOM.

He did. I'm not sure what happened after that. NZ won the tournament in 2017 with a bunch of those same players being key to their success. Incidentally, 2017 was the last time NZ won. They were 4th in 2018 and 7th in 2019.

I can't explain why the Reds have failed to secure their talented young 10s coming through in the last year or two. All things being equal, please rank the following Queensland playmakers in order of who you'd sign: Lolesio, Pasitoa, Gordon, Parata, Mason.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
All things being equal, please rank the following Queensland playmakers in order of who you'd sign: Lolesio, Pasitoa, Gordon, Parata, Mason.

Hmmm...I'd probabaly go:

1 Pasitoa
2 Gordon
3 Lolesio
4 Parata
5 Mason

Gordon and Lolesio is very close. I think Gordon has the potential to be another Lynagh like 10, but I have some concerns about him. Managed well, he should be exceptional.

Rugby King

Sydney Middleton (9)
Moving Petaia to fullback would be interesting. Would be a very good-looking backline.

9. Tate
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Dangunu
12. - Somebody who can be a playmaker
13. Paisami
14. Vunivalu
15. Petaia
I heard Isaac Henry was coming home from Canberra??

He played 10 at school and is now a 12. Big boot, 80%+ converter and played inside Paisami at Wests.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I heard Isaac Henry was coming home from Canberra??

He played 10 at school and is now a 12. Big boot, 80%+ converter and played inside Paisami at Wests.

Whats wrong with Stewart? He's probably center injury away from playing for the Wallabies and would do a decent job there.

Not dissing on Henry, he would be a good addition, but I don't think a starting 12 is an absolute necessity.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)

Mack Mason at school was an exceptional and classic flyhalf and that’s why the Waratahs signed him , obviously. How often do the Waratahs come knocking on our door unless they need something. Never. I was around when the deal was done and was totally against it. The writing was on the wall that Mason was going to get caught behind Foley. More politics than performance IMO.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Hmmm.I'd probabaly go:

1 Pasitoa
2 Gordon
3 Lolesio
4 Parata
5 Mason

Gordon and Lolesio is very close. I think Gordon has the potential to be another Lynagh like 10, but I have some concerns about him. Managed well, he should be exceptional.
I’m looking forward to seeing all of these players progress over the next couple of years.
For the Brumbies to keep Lolesio, Kenuzle and Pasitoa is going to be a massive task. I think one will move on (Pasitoa to QLD???), one will move to 12 or regular bench and Lolesio will keep the jersey if he has a strong forward pack and they continue to win games.
Gordon’s injuries have been a concern for the past few years but his complete skillset pushes him as the front runner. Next year will be the real test. With his younger brother moving to the Rebels, one of them will move to fullback.
Does anyone know how Parata is going with the Crusaders?

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Mack Mason at school was an exceptional and classic flyhalf and that’s why the Waratahs signed him , obviously. How often do the Waratahs come knocking on our door unless they need something. Never. I was around when the deal was done and was totally against it. The writing was on the wall that Mason was going to get caught behind Foley. More politics than performance IMO.
I don't know about him being chased by Tahs. Went to the Storm, was unwanted, went to Force and wanted too much money, wasn't wanted by the Reds at the time (apparently)so went to the Tahs where he was behind Foley, the Wallaby 10, and hardly set the Shute Shield on fire. Went to Rebels and didn't even make the bench. Not the first schoolboy star that didn't make it

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don't know about him being chased by Tahs. Went to the Storm, was unwanted, went to Force and wanted too much money, wasn't wanted by the Reds at the time (apparently)so went to the Tahs where he was behind Foley, the Wallaby 10, and hardly set the Shute Shield on fire. Went to Rebels and didn't even make the bench. Not the first schoolboy star that didn't make it

Are you talking about Mason?
He never went to the Force or Rebels, and at the time he left he was certainly wanted by the Reds and had just made his debut.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
The problem each team has in signing an up and coming 10 is who they are parked behind in the squad.

JOC (James O'Connor) would be seen as a pretty big road block to most , could probably say the same about Lolesio.

How do you make your team an inviting proposition to an up and comer if there is very little chance of game time in the foreseeable future?

I know cost is an issue , but having an “A” team comp running alongside the main draw would be great to see , particularly if we have another Super AU next year.

Pasitoa would be top of my Wishlist with regards to signing a young 10. He seems to be third in line at the Brumbies so the Reds might be a chance .

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
This is completely fictional, the guy was unwanted by the Storm so returned to QLD rugby. Regardless he played years of Shute Shield and never consistently stood out. He has solid core skills but no ability to take the ball to the line or create for his outside backs- he wasn't even considered the best fly-half at the club- they moved their fly-half to fullback or inside to accommodate him (Archie King).