• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

Gervais_rugbylives

Allen Oxlade (6)
Moving Petaia to fullback would be interesting. Would be a very good-looking backline.

9. Tate
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Dangunu
12. - Somebody who can be a playmaker
13. Paisami
14. Vunivalu
15. Petaia

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Moving Petaia to fullback would be interesting. Would be a very good-looking backline.

9. Tate
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Dangunu
12. - Somebody who can be a playmaker
13. Paisami
14. Vunivalu
15. Petaia
Add Hamish Stewart at 12 (he is great, young and still got improvement in him, so why leave him out - gees impressive backline - fact jock Campbell not there who was very good at 15 says how good to leave him out.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Add Hamish Stewart at 12 (he is great, young and still got improvement in him, so why leave him out - gees impressive backline - fact jock Campbell not there who was very good at 15 says how good to leave him out.

Personally Petaia 13 Jock 15. No reason to fuck with it. Let Petaia settle totally on the slot and leave a fantastic FB on board.

Also Paisami May threaten Stewart at 12, but only with plenty of development.

Let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water.

What we need is a next gen 10.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I’m all for the Petaia to fullback discussion had on this recent thread chain.

After watching Tom Banks line up at 15 for wallabies I have been left unimpressed with how his game translates to the next level.

Can you imagine how much of a dynamic threat Petaia would be catching high balls then running at the defensive line. Banks doesn’t really have a test level acceleration. His fast but he can’t go from zero to 100 in a nano second. I saw Petaia yesterday as someone the ABs feared wirh ball in hand. They didn’t come up to tackle him, they kind of held their line and waited for Jordan to attack.

Tell me I am wrong?? Petaia can’t be a world class 15? I guess his kicking/punting needs to be factored in but Israel Folau seemed to carve out a role as a dominate 15 without being a strong kicker. What else am I missing?
I’m with you mate. Petaia would kill it at fullback. He reads the plays well and knows when to distribute. It’s been a few years since I’ve seen his kicking but I’m sure he can slot straight in. Paisami has been great for the Reds at 13 all year and it best to keep Stewart at 12, if JOC (James O'Connor) stays at flyhalf. Move Jock to the bench to cover fullback and wing.

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
Vunivalu has been on fire recently. Really looking forward to seeing him in a Reds jersey and eventually in Gold.
Can see him starting on the wing and transitioning towards 13 or 15 (Kicking may be a problem).

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Vunivalu has been on fire recently. Really looking forward to seeing him in a Reds jersey and eventually in Gold.
Can see him starting on the wing and transitioning towards 13 or 15 (Kicking may be a problem).

I hope his first training sessions have a kicking component and he is advised that adequate kicking is require to make the team.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I hope his first training sessions have a kicking component and he is advised that adequate kicking is require to make the team.

Really?

Koro probably kicked twice his whole life and he’s been the incumbent Wallabies winger. CFS isn’t a great kicker.

Why does Vunivalu need to be judged on a different level? Obviously it’s a great thing to have but he never kicks in the NRL so I imagine the Reds have signed him regardless of that skill seto.

I’d probably say adequate try scoring ability comes before kicking.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
He actually has great spatial awareness. I watched him play for his school in the Sanix World School Championship in I think 2014 and he was a great hole runner who didn't just dominate because of size.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Our 10, 12 & 15 will do most of the kicking (and will be fielding most of the kicks).

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Really?

Koro probably kicked twice his whole life and he’s been the incumbent Wallabies winger. CFS isn’t a great kicker.

Why does Vunivalu need to be judged on a different level? Obviously it’s a great thing to have but he never kicks in the NRL so I imagine the Reds have signed him regardless of that skill seto.

I’d probably say adequate try scoring ability comes before kicking.

I think that all backs should be selected on a basis of having a complete skill set.

If there are three or four players trying to get the same spot in the team, then I would pick the two best players and beleive that a complete skill set makes you a better player.

He may very well never kick the ball in a game, but if he is required to then what is the harm in his having proficiency at kicking a ball?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
He actually has great spatial awareness. I watched him play for his school in the Sanix World School Championship in I think 2014 and he was a great hole runner who didn't just dominate because of size.

who? The leaguie from Melbourne? So he's played rugby before?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think that all backs should be selected on a basis of having a complete skill set.

If there are three or four players trying to get the same spot in the team, then I would pick the two best players and believe that a complete skill set makes you a better player.

He may very well never kick the ball in a game, but if he is required to then what is the harm in his having proficiency at kicking a ball?

Your second sentence seems to be contradicted by your last sentence.

Surely you're selecting an inferior player if you're weighing their ability to do a skill that they don't actually need as being of equal value to one that they use throughout a game that another player is significantly better at.

Being able to kick definitely has some value but you have to weigh it up accordingly to how important it is. For at least one of your wingers it should have an incredibly low weighting in how you value them as a player.

A backline also needs complementary skills. You need enough players to cover kicking so you have a reasonable kicking game but there's no point having 7 backs who can all kick and none of them can break a tackle.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
NRL wingers don't have kicking games. He's picked for his attacking threat with ball in hand or he's not picked at all.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah, he can play. It’s be great if he had a kicking game too, but not in any way essential.

Based on this years team we already have McDermott, O’Connor, Campbell, Stewart and Tupou that can kick. Some better than others.