• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

dru

Tim Horan (67)
We are light on Props who would provide depth in 2021

Isnt that because the props destined for 2021 were dragged in by circumstance for 2020? It’s not that they are not there, they just got exposed (crazy) early.

And they are:

I think there is some good depth at prop. It's been a great strength of Brad and Crapper.

1 - Hoopert, Zander, Straker
3 - Tupou, Zonggorr, Fotuaika

At lock outside of A Blyth and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), there's Tualima, Smith, Blyth Jnr and Fewtrell. I still wouldn't mind seeing some of those Brumby locks they contracted to come back home.

Props are looking good to me.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Isnt that because the props destined for 2021 were dragged in by circumstance for 2020? It’s not that they are not there, they just got exposed (crazy) early.

And they are:

Props are looking good to me.
So we have numbers “not depth”. It’s not like we’ve got the Smith brothers on the bench. In 2022 you might be able to say we have depth if development is on track. Wondering if Slipper is ready to come home.
Hookers we have depth with BPA, Mafi and Farrell (if staying). I’m still not convinced on Nasser after watching the UQ game
Connor Vest (UQ lock) was outstanding yesterday. Unsure of height but it’s the best performance of a lock I have seen in Prems all year.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So we have numbers “not depth”. It’s not like we’ve got the Smith brothers on the bench. In 2022 you might be able to say we have depth if development is on track. Wondering if Slipper is ready to come home.
Hookers we have depth with BPA, Mafi and Farrell (if staying). I’m still not convinced on Nassar after watching the UQ game

Our depth sure was skittles in 2020 but ultimately thought that Zander and Straker looked the goods in terms of potential. Given Tupou doesn’t need much of a spell we didn’t see much of Zonggor or Fotauika. And no it doesn’t equate to the Smith brothers but I felt we got these guys ready for Super appearances on an accelerated time table. It’s a positive for 2021. Think our prop stocks will prove serviceable.

I’d like to see the next gen 10s coming through.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I guess my concern is if Hoopert & Tupou are injured, are we confident in Zander & Nonggorr starting.

Zander started this year, so he is fine. I wouldn’t mind a more experienced THP backup, but I guess budgeting is an issues.

Overall though I think any/all of our potential issues relate to depth/injury over. Our starting 15 is as good as I am remember it since when Eales, Horan, Herbert et al were running around. Great place to be.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Our depth sure was skittles in 2020 but ultimately thought that Zander and Straker looked the goods in terms of potential. Given Tupou doesn’t need much of a spell we didn’t see much of Zonggor or Fotauika. And no it doesn’t equate to the Smith brothers but I felt we got these guys ready for Super appearances on an accelerated time table. It’s a positive for 2021. Think our prop stocks will prove serviceable.

I’d like to see the next gen 10s coming through.
I would agree, but wouldn’t Slipper be a great addition.
Where we sit with depth.
Props - serviceable to make Super Rugby finals if no injury with starters (not to take out premiership)
Hookers - good
Locks - serviceable
Back row - stacked
Scrumhalf - serviceable
Flyhalf - ouch
Centres - good
Wing - good
Fullback - serviceable with Hegarty still here.

Reactions: dru

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I guess my concern is if Hoopert & Tupou are injured, are we confident in Zander & Nonggorr starting.

Zander started this year, so he is fine. I wouldn’t mind a more experienced THP backup, but I guess budgeting is an issues.

Overall though I think any/all of our potential issues relate to depth/injury over. Our starting 15 is as good as I am remember it since when Eales, Horan, Herbert et al were running around. Great place to be.
You win games with strong forwards firstly, then with smart playmakers (10, 15, 12 - in order). These are the two areas we lack depth and need to build on our props and playmakers. I think Thorn is building well but we are not a Super Rugby premiership team yet.

Reactions: TSR

dru

Tim Horan (67)
THP depth is untested rather than not there. Tell you something that is tested and I think proven - our ability to build props. As long as Lillycrap is on board I’d stick with the a Thorn system of trusting our native talent.

I think flyhalf is fine for now using JOC (James O'Connor)/Stewart. Though Stewart is likely a 12/backup 10 rather than a 10. Going forward though the role is too fundamental to not have development players on board.

Had not considered 9 but if 9-10 were tested at the same time life would be interesting.

I’m fine with 15. I really rate Jock, I know good judges here still have a question mark but I’d hate to lose him. The back line can cope if he is injured. Future is the guy mentioned earlier who looks 100% class in QPR.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I reckon we can bring that trophy home and would be surprised if we don’t in 2021, but I’m talking when Super Rugby returns.

Nobody knows what the return of Super Rugby will be though. It's not going to look anything like what we've known, that appears to be a certainty.

Hegarty is also a good backup for 10.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Anyone who follows premier rugby will be less than impressed with Malolua and Hegarty after their turnout for GPS yesterday.

These blokes have been regular starters for the Reds and should be dominant at club level, both were outplayed by their Bond counterparts.

On the flip side, all the Uni professional players seem to be turning it on. They looked a level above in the preliminary final against Easts - as they should be!

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I’m all for the Petaia to fullback discussion had on this recent thread chain.

After watching Tom Banks line up at 15 for wallabies I have been left unimpressed with how his game translates to the next level.

Can you imagine how much of a dynamic threat Petaia would be catching high balls then running at the defensive line. Banks doesn’t really have a test level acceleration. His fast but he can’t go from zero to 100 in a nano second. I saw Petaia yesterday as someone the ABs feared wirh ball in hand. They didn’t come up to tackle him, they kind of held their line and waited for Jordan to attack.

Tell me I am wrong?? Petaia can’t be a world class 15? I guess his kicking/punting needs to be factored in but Israel Folau seemed to carve out a role as a dominate 15 without being a strong kicker. What else am I missing?

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
I’m all for the Petaia to fullback discussion had on this recent thread chain.

After watching Tom Banks line up at 15 for wallabies I have been left unimpressed with how his game translates to the next level.

Can you imagine how much of a dynamic threat Petaia would be catching high balls then running at the defensive line. Banks doesn’t really have a test level acceleration. His fast but he can’t go from zero to 100 in a nano second. I saw Petaia yesterday as someone the ABs feared wirh ball in hand. They didn’t come up to tackle him, they kind of held their line and waited for Jordan to attack.

Tell me I am wrong?? Petaia can’t be a world class 15? I guess his kicking/punting needs to be factored in but Israel Folau seemed to carve out a role as a dominate 15 without being a strong kicker. What else am I missing?

Id rather a world class 13 than a world class 15. There's a bigger gulf between good 13's and the rest than there is a good 15 and the rest

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Paisami the current Wobs 13, doesn't that make him world class?

I'm not against Petaia at fullback. Attack wise he reminds me of Folau a bit, not sure about his kicking game though

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Anyone who follows premier rugby will be less than impressed with Malolua and Hegarty after their turnout for GPS yesterday.

These blokes have been regular starters for the Reds and should be dominant at club level, both were outplayed by their Bond counterparts.

On the flip side, all the Uni professional players seem to be turning it on. They looked a level above in the preliminary final against Easts - as they should be!

You'd have to think that Liam Dillon is a chance of taking Malolua's spot. He was superb (which was rightly pointed out by his coach) and Scott's lack of aus eligibility might be an issue. Vest has also indeed been very good for Uni.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
You'd have to think that Liam Dillon is a chance of taking Malolua's spot. He was superb (which was rightly pointed out by his coach) and Scott's lack of aus eligibility might be an issue. Vest has also indeed been very good for Uni.

Yep, he's been pretty great all season, a big part of Bond's success this year.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Paisami the current Wobs 13, doesn't that make him world class?

I'm not against Petaia at fullback. Attack wise he reminds me of Folau a bit, not sure about his kicking game though

Think it’s pretty universally agreed on, within the sporting context that you need to be with in top 3-5 in the world to be considered world class

Just being in your national team isn’t enough

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Think it’s pretty universally agreed on, within the sporting context that you need to be with in top 3-5 in the world to be considered world class

Just being in your national team isn’t enough

I know mate - it was tongue in cheek.

I don't think Paisami will find himself in Gold many more times this year let alone be considered world class.

You Brumbies supporters are very dead pan.