• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Where are we with 2021 signings for:
Scott Maloula
Moses Sorovi
Sean Farrell
Tom Kibble
Josh Nasser
Michael Wood
David Feao
Tuaina Taii Tualima
Jack Hardy
Chris Feauai-Sautia

Development players:
Zane Nonggorr (prop) - squad ?
Mac Grealy (fullback)
JoJo Fifita (outside centre)
Josh Flook (wing ?)
Harry Vella (prop)
Wilson Blyth (lock)
Mason Gordon (flyhalf) Rebels?
Taj Annan (inside centre)
David Vaihu (outside centre)
Andrew Romano (prop)
Name escapes me? (scrum half)

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Probably waiting for a broadcast agreement so they know what the salary cap and broadcasting grant is for 2021. I’m expecting the squad will be trimmed, and a few quality players will move on

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
In the Australian today.

Brad Thorn his coaching staff have all re-signed for 2021(McKay, Todd, Marsh, Nelson and Barker)
Vunivalu still coming in 2021
Smith twins confirmed are headed to the US for MLR
Uncertainty whether CFS is staying

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Smith twins going to MLR still confuses me. Two reasons - one the USA is farked so why go near the place (and I say that as someone who has a substantial portion of their income come via US clients).

The second being what are they getting paid? I think most Aussie super teams would include both props in their match day 23, or at very least full time squad members. The MLR to date has been made up of premier rugby players and 40 year old retirees (Nonu and Digby for example). The comp receiving a cash boost post COVID seems unlikely so I find it very weird.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Interesting Reg and it makes sense - but I would have thought for the sake of stability teams would be able to offer existing squad members a contract in principal within a wage bracket, but there would be a freeze on recruitment.

I understand there are budget cuts, tv deals to be signed etc. but each franchise you would imagine has 8-12 players off contract currently, very high risk play from RA if we let them all go elsewhere.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Interesting Reg and it makes sense - but I would have thought for the sake of stability teams would be able to offer existing squad members a contract in principal within a wage bracket, but there would be a freeze on recruitment.

I understand there are budget cuts, tv deals to be signed etc. but each franchise you would imagine has 8-12 players off contract currently, very high risk play from RA if we let them all go elsewhere.

Maybe there isn't that much money for Props who can't get RA/Wallaby subsidy?

Might be similar money in the USA but it's a new frontier to experience and perhaps could prolong their careers as it's not as intensive?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Thorn and Lillicrap will back themselves to work on Stracher, Zander, Fotuaika and Nonggoor. 2021 will be Super Rugby AU, which being both a shorter season and with less money going around, this makes it an ideal development season. Middle tier 'depth' players/journeymen get less opportunity. Their value as depth/stop gaps etc is lesser in 2021.

Double Agent

Allen Oxlade (6)
Now comes the unsettling time where we wait for him (Vunivalu) to actually turn up to Ballymore!!

He’s said all year that he’s committed to the Reds but with next year Super Rugby still not sorted and the bond that winning a Premiership comes with, I’m not going to celebrate until I see him in Red.

Yep... are cracks appearing? His quotes in this story may just be post-grand final emotion but the slightly more concerning one I think is that he appears not to be looking at rugby as a longterm deal... seems to be saying he'll want to go back to Storm at some stage.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/c28aaab23c0d11808e1c16addda5cfc1

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
He’s only 24, if he wants to finish his career in League how different is that to someone going over to France or Japan when they reach their twilight?

Anyway, the Reds struggled at times for depth on the wing this year. Even if he’s only around for two years (unlikely in my opinion, the recent converts we’ve had all signed short-term deals and ended up staying on), it’ll still be a plus for them.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
He’s only 24, if he wants to finish his career in League how different is that to someone going over to France or Japan when they reach their twilight?

Anyway, the Reds struggled at times for depth on the wing this year. Even if he’s only around for two years (unlikely in my opinion, the recent converts we’ve had all signed short-term deals and ended up staying on), it’ll still be a plus for them.

Timing of his contract is perfectly setup for him - assuming he does well in Rugby as everyone expects he will need to be re-signed before the next RWC.

Plan would be to make himself an invaluable part of the Wallabies setup and sign a fat(ter) RA top up deal for a couple of years, or even one year if he wanted to bail after the RWC.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Why would the Reds reneg on the deal? Where did that come from?

As I understand it....under current contract arrangements.....as soon as the franchise can't pay 100% of the contract rates the players become free agents again are can be open to offers.

As we have seen already some clubs are handling this by allowing a year of sabbatical to play OS and return under the same contract conditions.

If the broadcast deal results in reduced distributions to the current 4 franchises then expect a lot more player movement.