• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Townsville certainly makes sense over the Gold Coast. The Super Rugby TT game earlier this year only drew 9k up there though, not great numbers but worth pursuing again.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So Jordy has made anon statement about wanting 15. From Petaia we get athleticism that could match he who shall not be named. For me a key ingredient from Jock is reading the backline and organising.

Interesting problem. And how does Grealy fit in that context?

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Seems Tom Lynagh gets a head start. Big media promotion to help him along the way. Let’s hope he can fill the boots. Any club announcement yet? Guessing UQ.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
So Jordy has made anon statement about wanting 15. From Petaia we get athleticism that could match he who shall not be named. For me a key ingredient from Jock is reading the backline and organising.

Interesting problem. And how does Grealy fit in that context?
What’s Thorn going to do now?

Attachments

• FEFE036A-18C8-4343-B73F-1615D7862A9C.jpeg
    FEFE036A-18C8-4343-B73F-1615D7862A9C.jpeg
    390.6 KB · Views: 104

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
this:

15 Petaia
14 Daugunu
13 & 12
11 Vubivalu
10 JOC (James O'Connor)
9 McDermott
8 Wilson
7 McReight
6 Wright
5 LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
4 Smith
3 Tupou
2 Mafi
1 Zander

16 Asiata
17 Feo F
18 Zongoor
19 Uru
20 ASY (Angus Scott-Young)
21 Thomas
22 Centre
23 Campbell

So the options in the centres are:

Is Paisami a 12 only? If so its 12 Paisami 13 Flook

Otherwise we have options of 12 Henry/Stewart and 13 Paisami.

I'd lean towards 12 Stewart / 13 Paisami but Henry intrigues me. Just need to ensure its not a 2nd year syndrome.

Depth is important as, in all reality, we will never have a fullstrength squad to pick from

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Good side Reg, although and I’ve said this before, unless Campbell starts at fullback I’m not sure he adds much value on the bench. I’d rather see a bench combination closer to Stewart and Droasese.

Campbell lacks the size and athleticism to be a proper strike bench winger/fullback who can come on and win you games, and doesn’t have the skill set the cover other positions. Stewart gives you coverage across 4 positions and then you chuck onto the bench your next best winger.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
What’s Thorn going to do now?

Good side Reg, although and I’ve said this before, unless Campbell starts at fullback I’m not sure he adds much value on the bench. I’d rather see a bench combination closer to Stewart and Droasese.

Campbell lacks the size and athleticism to be a proper strike bench winger/fullback who can come on and win you games, and doesn’t have the skill set the cover other positions. Stewart gives you coverage across 4 positions and then you chuck onto the bench your next best winger.

It's tricky! Last year where non-Red WB fans were demanding 12-13 of Paisami, Petaia; many of us were warning, hang on a tick. That might be best for the WBs but they haven't earned it yet in Qld. Paisami did (at 13) and Petaia spent too much time in injury.

This year you'd think that this year discerning WBs fans would be demanding the Reds with 13 Paisami 15 Petaia. Again they are yet to earn it. You'd think that Paisami will be in the centres somewhere. But at fullback for the Reds to lose Jock's organisation could be problematic and he is easy Super standard for a 15. Petaia can't take that role based on having a calmer head/more experience. It just isn't what he brings. He has magic skill and athleticism and it is pretty much a one-off but I'm thinking bench.

15 opportunities may only build for Petaia once the backline maturity and calm-thinking settles in at the Reds. Perhaps another argument for Stewart to make a come back at 12 with 13: Paisami? And possible 15: Petaia on the back of it?

Intriguing.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Thing at the Reds is you’re only an injury or two away from needing a complete reshuffle anyway, they were fortunate in 2021 with injuries but wont always be the case. With Henry, Flook, Paisami, Petaia and Stewart, i think they have better depth in the centre’s then they do at fullback. At 15 Jock is the only Super Rugby standard one, Grealy looks promising but there‘s noone else at this stage.

I think Petaia can be a star wherever he plays, I’m interested to see how he goes at 15 just because i haven't seen it, my only concern is his confidence and communication. I dont know the guy but he comes across as quiet and frustrated with himself, a good 15 needs to be barking orders and directing from the back.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
The issue with Petaia's confidence comes from a lack of maturing via actual time on the rugby pitch.

If you look at the two extremes - the oldest bloke at your rugby club probably doesn't have sleepless nights if he drops a ball over the line during a game. Compare that to the fresh faced Colt whos just misses a tackle and has visions of their rugby career falling apart at the seams.

I'm hoping another year in Wallabies camp and getting off the bench in some of these games will be great for Petaia's confidence next year.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
That's a very strong squad. The question for me is who plays 10 when O'Connor gets his inevitable injury. It seems Stewart has been deemed a centre and Hegarty has left so it isn't clear to me who the next best option is. I suspect the Reds may regret letting Pasitoa and Gordon go.