• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I’ve given McReight and Wilson the benefit of doubt, using Uru and Wright as power in the second half. If Petaia is playing like shit, bring Flook on early. With McDermott and Paisami off the past week, we need Stewart who is usually solid in defence in the centre channel. JOC (James O'Connor) didn’t impress me last night, and still the best option with the others around him. Worked last season so let’s see if they continue the cohesion.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Shame Vunivalu is out and Droasese is MiA as I’d chuck Petaia at 13 with a couple of Fijians on the wing and perhaps Hunter off the bench. Stewart lucky to start I guess.
It’s amazing what 12 months does in the rugby world - I nearly had my Reds membership torn up in these threads last year for suggesting Hunter might look best coming off the bench.

Now it seems a chance of happening at some point this season as the Reds try and find their ideal backline shape.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
My pick for Round 1

1. Hoopert
  2. Mafi
  3. Tupou
  4. Smith
  5. Salakaia-Loto
  6. Scott- Young
  7. McReight
  8. Wilson
  9. McDermott
  10. O’Connor
  11. Daugunu
  12. Stewart
  13. Paisami
  14. Petaia / Flook
  15. Campbell
16. Nasser
17. Zander
18. Fotuaika
19. Uru
20. Wright
21. Jeans
22. Flook / Petaia
23. Grealy
I feel like that side is going to be very hard to beat for the Rebels

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It’s amazing what 12 months does in the rugby world - I nearly had my Reds membership torn up in these threads last year for suggesting Hunter might look best coming off the bench.

Now it seems a chance of happening at some point this season as the Reds try and find their ideal backline shape.
Paisami would be 12 and Stewart to bench.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I thought last night was average but I’m happy to reserve judgement until next week. Preparation has been disrupted and I don’t believe we ever had 1-15 on the park together, or even been relatively close to it for any length of time. I do think Hoopert probably won the number 1 jersey, Uru won 5 & Jeans would be my pick for 21. Back row selection will be interesting but I still feel McReight + 1 of ASY (Angus Scott-Young) & Wright is more balanced and I thought McReight was outstanding last year. However won’t be concerned if they go with Wright & ASY (Angus Scott-Young) in tandem.

I thought the sample size on Jock at 10 & Petaia at fullback was too small to make any decisive observations, but I didn’t see anything that said to me they definitely couldn’t be successful there. I appreciate they are giving younger guys exposure but I felt like they should have left Jock at 10 for longer than they did.

My team for next week -

Hoopert, Mafi, Tupou, Salakaia-Loto, Uru, Wright, McReight, Wilson, McDermott, O’Connor, Daugunu, Stewart, Paisami, Petaia, Campbell, Nasser, ? ? Not sure on reserve props, Smith, ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Jeans, Flook, ?

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I thought last night was average but I’m happy to reserve judgement until next week. Preparation has been disrupted and I don’t believe we ever had 1-15 on the park together, or even been relatively close to it for any length of time. I do think Hoopert probably won the number 1 jersey, Uru won 5 & Jeans would be my pick for 21. Back row selection will be interesting but I still feel McReight + 1 of ASY (Angus Scott-Young) & Wright is more balanced and I thought McReight was outstanding last year. However won’t be concerned if they go with Wright & ASY (Angus Scott-Young) in tandem.

I thought the sample size on Jock at 10 & Petaia at fullback was too small to make any decisive observations, but I didn’t see anything that said to me they definitely couldn’t be successful there. I appreciate they are giving younger guys exposure but I felt like they should have left Jock at 10 for longer than they did.

My team for next week -

Hoopert, Mafi, Tupou, Salakaia-Loto, Uru, Wright, McReight, Wilson, McDermott, O’Connor, Daugunu, Stewart, Paisami, Petaia, Campbell, Nasser, ? ? Not sure on reserve props, Smith, ASY (Angus Scott-Young), Jeans, Flook, ?
For me, ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is the player who saved us the embarrassment. The player who works the hardest and strongest for the team but falls short of the glory. No.1 ATM.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
For me, ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is the player who saved us the embarrassment. The player who works the hardest and strongest for the team but falls short of the glory. No.1 ATM.
That was a hard choice for me and I definitely thought we were better when he came on last night. It was hard to leave him out but Wright is such a smart player and co-captain and I personally can’t leave McReight out (although the irony/contradiction there is that ASY (Angus Scott-Young) was probably as good last year). At the end of the day I won’t be disappointed with our backrow selection, whoever gets the nod.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Based on the limited time I thought Campbell looked better at 10 than Petaia did at 15. Hard to compare positions and maybe Campbell stood out as he replace LOC who I thought had an average performance.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Fair enough. I don’t think Petaia did much wrong though. A couple of times he raced into position on the counter and the ball didn’t come to the right spot. I can’t remember him being caught out of position or any glaring errors.

I’m assuming if Vunivalu is out we are most likely to see Petaia on the wing and Campbell at FB.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I haven't seen any recent updates on Vunivalu's injury, any mention of it just says early rounds/soon

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
With Thorn being a bit of a traditionalist, I think Kalani will get the nod over Spencer - Due to the show boating that cost a try and give Kalani a shot at proving his worth.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I didn’t think he was showboating, definitely celebrating too early though and Thorn wouldn’t like either way you’d imagine

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I didn’t think he was showboating, definitely celebrating too early though and Thorn wouldn’t like either way you’d imagine
Flipside is a trial game is the best place to learn that lesson and he picked himself up and ended up scoring a try a later in the match. It's definitely not something he needed on his record in trying to pass Kalani, but I don't think it undoes all the good work he otherwise did.