• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2022

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Carter moved because he wanted to start quicker. I reckon he would have got more game time if he stayed. His manager didn’t give him the best opportunity did he.

EDIT. Heard today from a Reds Academy player that Mason Gordon was killing it on the Jnr Wallabies camp, and is leaps and bounds in front of Lynagh. Based on this, we might need to continue our shopping for a flyhalf. Not many available.

Considering Lynagh has been injured it’s no surprise Mason is in front of him. He’s also had an extra 18 months in a professional set up. Hell have a fair battle with Jack Bowen for that Aussie jersey though with Bowen actually getting premier grade game time.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Considering Lynagh has been injured it’s no surprise Mason is in front of him. He’s also had an extra 18 months in a professional set up. Hell have a fair battle with Jack Bowen for that Aussie jersey though with Bowen actually getting premier grade game time.
I’m only telling you what one of our own who was in camp said. Mason was the preferred flyhalf and had Captain duties. Annan 12, Ripley 13, Grealy 15 and Werchon in and out of 9,

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Plenty of players will move between now and then. We’ll have a much better idea on guys like Creighton, Annan & Lynagh. Also if Campbell has a future in 10. If O’Connor does move on we can start shopping next year.
Let’s just pick Campbell and be done with it. That frees up fullback for Petaia and Grealy as a back up.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Is it that easy though? And do you mean now or in the future? I really rate Campbell and partly that’s because of his ball playing and ability to read play, but I don’t think there’s a guarantee he’ll succeed at 10. If we were looking specifically at tomorrow it would actually mean more uncertainty. We’d have a rookie at 15 instead of 10 and a novice 10. At least Creighton has a background playing 10 and, for the time being, having Campbell at 15 makes more sense to me. He is a Wallaby squad member in that spot after all.

Reactions: dru

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I’m only telling you what one of our own who was in camp said. Mason was the preferred flyhalf and had Captain duties. Annan 12, Ripley 13, Grealy 15 and Werchon in and out of 9,

Yeah see I’ve heard from inside the camp thst Grealy is captain.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

all sorts of things being heard from the camp !!!!!
wonder how much is true or correct??

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Hopefully Uru & Petaia back this week.

Where is Salakai-Loto at? I thought they named him to play a couple of weeks ago. Has he re-injured himself? There is lots to like about how Vest has played this year, but he is realistically our 6th choice lock & flanker and it showed on Saturday. I don’t think Faifau even made it on the field.

If Petaia is back it’ll be interesting whether they move Campbell to 10, or if they move him to wing and drop Daugunu. Unfortunately Filipo had a bad night out and if there were already concerns around his error rate Saturday isn’t going to help.

Maybe our best option is Flook to the wing, Campbell at 10. I thought Creighton did some good things, but we need our best team on the Park. Play him off the bench and bring him on, preferably at 10, with 20 to go.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Hopefully Uru & Petaia back this week.

Where is Salakai-Loto at? I thought they named him to play a couple of weeks ago. Has he re-injured himself? There is lots to like about how Vest has played this year, but he is realistically our 6th choice lock & flanker and it showed on Saturday. I don’t think Faifau even made it on the field.

If Petaia is back it’ll be interesting whether they move Campbell to 10, or if they move him to wing and drop Daugunu. Unfortunately Filipo had a bad night out and if there were already concerns around his error rate Saturday isn’t going to help.

Maybe our best option is Flook to the wing, Campbell at 10. I thought Creighton did some good things, but we need our best team on the Park. Play him off the bench and bring him on, preferably at 10, with 20 to go.
At this stage I'd bring Flook in for Daugunu and consider bringing Petaia off the bench. His error rate has been on the higher side recently and I'd like the focus for this game to be on accuracy and execution. Also think Creighton should probably get another shot, there was plenty to like in his first 20 minutes and I don't see Campbell being a step up - he was very suspect there at the end of the Drua game. If I was moving anyone to 10 it would be Stewart to play a very safe game and let the rest create something, but I'd probably feel more confident in that if Henry was available at 12.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I’d have Petaia back at 15 move Jock to wing for Daugunu and Flook to 13.

Paisami can bench, learn a lesson and also strengthen our bench.

Reactions: dru

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don’t really see he was that bad Reg. He made one or two bad choices, but I still thought he was one of our better players and has been one of our best this year IMO.

Maybe I missed a bit, but I definitely wouldn’t be dropping him. To be honest I think he’s been the form Australian 13.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I don’t really see he was that bad Reg. He made one or two bad choices, but I still thought he was one of our better players and has been one of our best this year IMO.

Maybe I missed a bit, but I definitely wouldn’t be dropping him. To be honest I think he’s been the form Australian 13.

I think his option taking has been very poor this year. Still tackles damn well, but on attack he's blowing opportunities or over playing his hand significantly.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I don't get what all the ongoing hand wringing is about re : the 10 spot and the continual sliding doors type discussion.

Reality is, JOC (James O'Connor) is our 10 and a good one. Creighton is the deputy who has been earmarked and groomed along with a couple of prior options from a same- same vintage that have since moved on, and frankly, where we have lost nothing by not having them.

Lynagh will likely battle with South's Harry McLaughlin Phillips and Brothers Harry Grant as the Next Gen 10 and if it takes 2 to 3 years until it is known who wins out then so be it - Reds Rugby will be just fine in the meantime and will no doubt have very good QPR options to select from (depending on form) over this developmental window of the young guys if there is someone that gets called up to support , say , a short term fill of a Hamish Stewart , Issac Henry or a Jock Campbell.

There really isn't a depth issue. At least from a point of view where we miss a Lucas or a Gordon. Meh. Move on.

And totally agree with Rugby Reg on Paisami to the bench. But I felt that way last season too. Flook has earned his stripes IMO and is the percentage player. Paisami needs to curb it and play with some more discipline and inclusivity.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Whats the chance we see any returning players this week?

We really lacked bench impact on the weekend. Uru or LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) back in 23 would be welcome. Where's Liam Wright at?