• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Edit. I would have liked to see the Reds do more to keep him. I just don’t think we’ve done enough here.
Given what’s previously been discussed in regard to his ambitions outside of rugby, it sounds like he might’ve had one foot in the international departures terminal door, regardless of the Reds’ offer

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Angus Scott-Young is a very big loss for the Reds. He, along with Blyth, do a mega shit tonne of the hard work, and he will be missed.
The other thing for me is that he was one of the intial very young guys who were charged with the responsibility of being at the forefront of a significant change in the culture and operation of the Reds. There would have been some extremely tough times in the dressing sheds over those early years. Change like that didn’t just rely on playing talent, but also resilience, persistence and genuine mental toughness.

Thorn is rightly getting credit for the turn around he has engineered, but the foot soldiers like Angus enormous credit too.

Glad he got a chance to play such an important role in our winning Super AU campaign last year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
In my view it’s a considerable loss. Anyone who has spent time with Angus will back up my sediments of what an extraordinary individual he is. I agree that we haven’t seen his best rugby yet. There are only a few players that have left the Reds that I can say this about.

Edit. I would have liked to see the Reds do more to keep him. I just don’t think we’ve done enough here.

Like sell his shirts through their shop? A nice little income booster for him.

F8769D96-AFD3-4578-8998-E92EBC18DA13.jpeg

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
What’s your evidence they haven’t done enough? Other than him going if course but you suggest they could have done more? What?
Ummmmmm! He is not staying.
A sabbatical 1 year O/S, signing for a further 1 or 2 with the Reds. Same concept as Wallabies’ players are granted.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
In its rawest form, money is all they could do and where they simply can’t compete
Think outside of the box. Money for someone like Angus is not the motivating factor here. It’s definitely a sweetener because it’s always been the measure of negotiation in Australian rugby.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Think outside of the box. Money for someone like Angus is not the motivating factor here. It’s definitely a sweetener because it’s always been the measure of negotiation in Australian rugby.
out of interest what is ASY (Angus Scott-Young)’s motivating factor which isn’t money the Reds should have offered, but they didn’t?

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
out of interest what is ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (Angus Scott-Young)’s motivating factor which isn’t money the Reds should have offered, but they didn’t?
I didn’t pull up a seat at the round table for this discussion. Only Angus can tell Cordingley and Thorn what the contractual conditions are possible considerations. Remuneration, term, sabbatical, bonuses and leadership are good starting points.
From the outcome, one would suggest those conditions on offer were not favourable.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
If Vunivalu stays at Reds, I'd get my Rebels poaching Flook/Petaia/Daugunu/Campbell please.
Campbell is the only one of those not locked in for at least 2023, for the Rebels to get him over any of his other options they'd probably have to convince him they didn't see Hodge as a 15 going forward.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Thorn for the Wallabies? https://www.theroar.com.au/2022/04/...llabies-top-job-but-gets-a-big-reality-check/

A lot of Quade supporters have restrained things in order to give Thorn a shot (and that has worked for us). BUT it would be a lie if I suggested I had no schadenfreude over future Thorn duties being referenced back to the Quade debacle.
Was reading this earlier and still can't decide how I feel about it. The Quade supporter in me definitely relates to your schadenfreude, but on reflection, maybe Thorn's questionable call helped things get back on track for both QC (Quade Cooper) and the Reds?

QC (Quade Cooper) seemed to find his way a bit in Japan, culminating in his redemption arc last year for the Wallabies. Realistically, he was probably off to Japan after a season or two under Thorn anyway, but can't help but think the whole experience was quite defining.

As for the Reds, it's very clear that the team is now greater than the sum of its parts - very much the cultural change that Thorn envisioned. Would this have been achieved if he hadn't towed a hard line with QC (Quade Cooper) (and KHunt/Slipper)? Of course these are only a handful of players in a team that would have seen massive turnover regardless, but the thing about culture is that it's enduring and passed down through the generations.

I think I like Thorn as an option for the Wallabies - especially if he can work the same type of magic he has done for Queensland.

Top Bottom