• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
out of interest what is ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (Angus Scott-Young)’s motivating factor which isn’t money the Reds should have offered, but they didn’t?
ASY (Angus Scott-Young)'s dad is a very successful business man and an ex wallaby. I'd imagine he's advising Angus to go overseas and enjoy the game. Then come back and help run the family business.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (Angus Scott-Young)'s dad is a very successful business man and an ex wallaby. I'd imagine he's advising Angus to go overseas and enjoy the game. Then come back and help run the family business.
His ambitions in medicine are well documented on this forum and in the press. I think it's safe to say his trajectory and goals are not as straightforward as you suggest

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
With Simone and Banks likely heading off I wouldn't be surprised to see the Brumbies target off contract Stewart and potentially Creighton (to join his bro) down there. If we didn't have Henry and Flook locked up for 2023 you'd think they would be prime targets for the Brumbs and Rebs as well.

You'd suspect JOC (James O'Connor) will be off after the RWC so it'll be interesting to see how they manage him as well as potentially get Lynagh some exposure and experience at the level before he is thrust in in 2024. I'd like to see JOC (James O'Connor) sign on again for '24 to help bring him through but suspect a big twilight paycheck will come his way.

Lock looking like a potential issue at this stage after losing LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and ASY (Angus Scott-Young). You'd imagine Smith will stay and Vest potentially offered a contract.

I'd also imagine 3 of the 4 hookers will hang about.

Hopefully QPR keeps pumping out quality players and our recruitment is on point with good foresight. I think this core squad we have now will continue to dwindle over the next couple of years.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Without doubt I think Thorn’s stance has had a positive influence in the careers of Cooper, Slipper & Hunt. That’s not to say things couldn’t have been handled better (and it’s not to say they could have). I also think Rodda’s departure will prove to be good for him in the long run - although that is a more speculative view.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (Angus Scott-Young)'s dad is a very successful business man and an ex wallaby. I'd imagine he's advising Angus to go overseas and enjoy the game. Then come back and help run the family business.
I’m guessing his dad will advise him to come back and practice as a doctor.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Should be an interesting couple of weeks/months on the Vunivalu contract front.

I see now the Dolphins could be chasing Semi Radardra who is likely to be released from his UK rugby team in the coming weeks.

Of course there is a big chance that Semi goes to Japanese rugby if he's chasing another pay day. But you'd imagine the Dolphins only have the cash to pay either Vuni or Semi the big bucks as their marquee winger, especially considering both offer similar benefits.

I don't think any NRL would offer Vunivalu the kind of money the Dolphins would. So if they end up locking up Semi, it would be a big plus for RA/QRU.

Of course this is all dependant on how Vunivalu plays over the coming weeks as well.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Vunivalu to Dolphins chat is just about him trying to get RA to hold his wage. I doubt there would be a league winger on what he is now and RA want a discount. Also if you wanted cash Japan/UK/France would have much more to offer than league

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

I see now the Dolphins could be chasing Semi Radardra who is likely to be released from his UK rugby team in the coming weeks.

Of course there is a big chance that Semi goes to Japanese rugby if he's chasing another pay day. But you'd imagine the Dolphins only have the cash to pay either Vuni or Semi the big bucks as their marquee winger, especially considering both offer similar benefits.

I don't think any NRL would offer Vunivalu the kind of money the Dolphins would. So if they end up locking up Semi, it would be a big plus for Rugby Australia/QRU.

Of course this is all dependant on how Vunivalu plays over the coming weeks as well.
Here is what I will be placing a bet on.

Vunivalu will stay in Rugby. Has a burning desire to play a RWC and will hold RA to the promises they made to get him over from Melbourne Storm in the first place.
He will be in Rennie's squad for the Test series here and then the Spring tour of europe for sure.

I reckon the Dolphins have already been told this so they are not putting too much effort into getting him, hence the Semi Radrada option.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I reckon the Dolphins have already been told this so they are not putting too much effort into getting him, hence the Semi Radrada option.
I'd be surprised if Radradra left rugby before the world cup, Bristol have no plans to let him go before his contract is up in 2023 and even if they do I'd expect he'd take a one year deal in Europe or Japan to keep him going to the world cup. He's probably a chance for the dolphins for 2024 though, if he does make that call and is Bristol are forced to release him there's a chance he heads to the Drua for a single season through to the world cup.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

I don't think any NRL would offer Vunivalu the kind of money the Dolphins would. So if they end up locking up Semi, it would be a big plus for Rugby Australia/QRU.

Do you know why Radardra would be getting released? From everything I’ve seen he is killing it.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Do you know why Radardra would be getting released? From everything I’ve seen he is killing it.
There's a change to the salary cap in the prem that means teams can only have one marquee player outside the cap instead of two - Bristol have both Radradra and Piutau as marquees and there's a lot of speculation that Radradra will be the one to go right now. Both are still contracted though and Bristol are not keen to let either go. I'm not a lawyer but I can't see how prem rugby can force the existing contracts to be cancelled via salary cap changes, at least not without compensating the players cut, so Bristol might be playing hard ball hoping for special dispensation in a transition year.

Reactions: TSR

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

What Wilson said is correct, in terms of choosing between Piutau and Radradra, apparently Semi has come back a bit flat from a recent knee injury. If they desperately had to choose between the two, it's likely he would be released.

Reactions: TSR

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
IMO there are a few journalists that continue to dig up dirt and gossip wherever they can. Always spreading negativity.

I am not saying the rumours are incorrect but I question their agenda.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
The man can speak for himself
C6B53DD5-F588-4D04-B6E3-E85D4CEFC9B1.jpeg

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeah, it may be true. But I’d believe it more if it wasn’t the FoxSport website. Since rugby left Foxtel, they only seem to run disparaging stories. Doesn’t mean it’s not true, would just like a second opinion.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
This is the first I've heard that Taniela actively disliked the Reds and Thorn? Is it just a media beat up?

Don’t think he’s unhappy but it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s feeling a bit overwork after last seasons’ efforts of consistent 80min. Makes you wonder if his trip the other week could’ve been an effort to get a rest. Seemed pretty stoked to be sitting on the sidelines when the camera went to him
Edit: per DC and the man himself, pure beat up. How embarrassing