• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Is Liam Wright fully fit? maybe heading down the Pooper 2.0 route with him and McReight.
Oh I think the starting backrow will definitely be Wright/McReight/Wilson, at least for the start of the season. My main point was that with all those locks out Uru will probably have to be one of the 3 locks in the 23, freeing up the bench backrow spot. I'd have Anderson above the remaining options (Tauakipulu and Faifua).

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Is Liam Wright fully fit? maybe heading down the Pooper 2.0 route with him and McReight.
I understand the comparisons, but, between Liam being a good 2-4 inches taller than Pocock, having both Wright and McReight on isn't quite Pooperesque.

I think in a podcast, Liam mentioned last year when he plays, he brings more physicality and lineout options, while McReight focuses on the breakdown and disruption. Which suggests they understand how to compliment each other quite well.

If Uru goes to 4/5, I think having Wright at 6 isn't too bad as Wilson is our prime ball carrier. If Wilson comes off, we need to ensure that the back row has another ball runner as the 'McWright' combo isn't the most powerful ball running combo.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Without Tupou. Which is the best prop according Reds diehard supporters?

20230209-080804.jpg

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Pretty nice! Where did u buy that vintage jersey? It looks new, never used before
I think boomfa vintage or Paddy's jerseys off Instagram. I follow a bunch of vintage jersey resellers in case something cool comes up. Otherwise you can usually find something decent on depop or eBay, but the quality is more variable.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I reckon there are several props in Prems who shown theyve got most of these covered. Be interesting to watch the season unfold without Nella but trust the Reds brain trust will be putting in the yards with the pack.

Which ones in Prems?

Sam Old

Herbert Moran (7)
Based on last year, certainly Van Nek ( off contract when he returned) the Wests props, even the old timers like Fred Burke/ Straker from GPS for a start would add some starch to the pack (using the later part of the season when the Reds were back at UQ and Bond etc as a measure). Good focus on set piece in the off season has hopefully remedied this for the Reds.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Based on last year, certainly Van Nek ( off contract when he returned) the Wests props, even the old timers like Fred Burke/ Straker from GPS for a start would add some starch to the pack (using the later part of the season when the Reds were back at UQ and Bond etc as a measure). Good focus on set piece in the off season has hopefully remedied this for the Reds.
Correct me if I’m wrong - but didn’t both Burke & Straker have stints with the Reds? Are you suggesting the Reds are going for youth (a reasonable strategy with your 5th/6th choice props - although I note your comments suggest these guys are better than most of the above). Or are you suggesting poor selection and/or policitcs at play?

Genuine question - I have no idea and have no dog in this fight. I did see Burke play a couple of times last year and I can’t say I thought he stood out especially. I do think these comments are often subjective though and, when it comes to props are often based 100% around scrums. Which I kinda get - the old meat and potato’s argument. But modern props do have to be able to do more than that.

Anyhow - interested in your perspective. Are they a meaningful step up?

Sam Old

Herbert Moran (7)
Just my thoughts/ observation based on the earlier posting and no suggestions of conspiracy here. Modern props do need to do a lot more than scrum but holding up/ winning your scrums is job number 1. ( similar to picking Steve Smith and Marcus because they can bat rather than because they can also bowl some leg spin). Plenty of talent in the back row and across the backs to make the Reds a significant threat with enough decent ball, so let the games begin!

Reactions: TSR

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Just my thoughts/ observation based on the earlier posting and no suggestions of conspiracy here. Modern props do need to do a lot more than scrum but holding up/ winning your scrums is job number 1. ( similar to picking Steve Smith and Marcus because they can bat rather than because they can also bowl some leg spin). Plenty of talent in the back row and across the backs to make the Reds a significant threat with enough decent ball, so let the games begin!
Worth noting - Steve Smith was picked firstly as a leg spinning all-rounder :)

(Not that that has anything to do with your actual point - but it still does make me shake my head).

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Correct me if I’m wrong - but didn’t both Burke & Straker have stints with the Reds?

Anyhow - interested in your perspective. Are they a meaningful step up?

Straker definitely has been with the Reds, I don’t think Burke ever has but he played NRC.

As someone who has been around Burke since he first arrived at GPS, I think his opportunity with the Reds was likely 2-3 years ago. Although gauging his productivity is more difficult now as GPS have had great prop depth for the last few seasons and used a rotation system for who starts and finishes.

Straker is a few years younger (maybe 31 this year?) and obviously also has talent, he was around the Crusaders setup very young and came back to the Reds, but I think he lost interest for a bit and semi-retired. Not sure what his plan is but I’m not sure he’s the right fit either.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Thoughts on the trial?

A couple of randoms from me -
- Lynagh & Henry both very good. I thought Creighton was solid when he came on too
- Liam Wright looks bigger.
- Set piece needs work, but it was good to see us compete and win some line out turnovers
- Backrow & Uru were excellent
- I thought Zander was solid
- Both hookers still have work to do
- Ravai could be the get of the season
- Looks like we’ve thrown the shackles off

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
- Ravai could be the get of the season
Mentioned it in the match thread but went back and checked - Ravai was on the bench towards the end with a big pack of ice strapped to his right ankle. Likewise Henry with his left knee. Hopefully nothing serious for either of them, as they were both standouts.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Vunivalu's performance was okay but not standout. Needs to really step it up and go looking for work - and I'm still not sure he's adjusted to the 15 man game. There were a few occasions where he got caught in centre field and looked a deer in headlights, with other players (notably Wilson) directing him around.

In saying that, based on last night, I reckon I'd still have him over Daugunu.