• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
McKeller used to be in the Reds squad. Never played but was in their super rugby squad.

Attachments

• D055DBC9-CB98-45DD-9B86-E2A4EF0B505B.jpeg
    D055DBC9-CB98-45DD-9B86-E2A4EF0B505B.jpeg
    366.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 4CFCB4AF-53CE-4022-8180-3E78AAA2084F.jpeg
    4CFCB4AF-53CE-4022-8180-3E78AAA2084F.jpeg
    487.3 KB · Views: 125

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
Seems Alex Davies is our next prop in line. Interested in opinions on here - but that seems pretty good doesn’t it? Not that I’d be expecting big things - but if we had a couple of injuries and had to call on him you’d want him to try and do his job at scrums at least and it seems to me he’s a decent selection from that perspective.

Interesting they are taking McLaughlin-Phillips as well.
Alex is way under rated in Qld. I have watched him develop over a few years and reckon he is the real deal. Would take him before Zander or Hoopert right at this moment. i only see an upward trajectory for him while the other 2 seem to have maxed out already.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Alex is way under rated in Qld. I have watched him develop over a few years and reckon he is the real deal. Would take him before Zander or Hoopert right at this moment. i only see an upward trajectory for him while the other 2 seem to have maxed out already.

easy decision to take him before Hoopert right now - he's got a long term injury.

Zander also an easy decision.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
easy decision to take him before Hoopert right now - he's got a long term injury.

Zander also an easy decision.
Yeah, though I do think Hoopert was going really well before that injury. If he can come back from it well he's got plenty more improvement in him. I expect Zander might be in his last year with the Reds, looks to be at his ceiling and will need to go OS to earn more and potentially kick on.

Mug Punter

Ward Prentice (10)
Yep Davies a certainty for game time this season I'd think. I really rate him

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah, though I do think Hoopert was going really well before that injury. If he can come back from it well he's got plenty more improvement in him. I expect Zander might be in his last year with the Reds, looks to be at his ceiling and will need to go OS to earn more and potentially kick on.
Thought Hoopert’s work around the ground was excellent, but scrummaged it was still a work in progress IMO.

But his Australia A selection shows he was rated by people who know this stuff much better than I do.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Thought Hoopert’s work around the ground was excellent, but scrummaged it was still a work in progress IMO.

But his Australia A selection shows he was rated by people who know this stuff much better than I do.
Just on the Australia A selection - what other LHPS did he beat for a spot in the squad? He was behind Bell, Slipper, Sio, Gibbon and Robertson. Who does that leave? Faulkner and Orr?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
How’s it go for sizing?
I had a look at the match day jersey at Rebel Sport, I don’t like the material, might be good to play in but shit for a supporter to wear. They really need a cotton supporters variant

Wilson

David Codey (61)
How’s it go for sizing?
I had a look at the match day jersey at Rebel Sport, I don’t like the material, might be good to play in but shit for a supporter to wear. They really need a cotton supporters variant
Yeah, it's definitely a very 'technical' material, I doubt I'll ever wear it to a game but it's great for working out. The medium is pretty well bang on what I expect in a medium, but maybe a bit long. Works well for something I'd usually tuck though.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
How’s it go for sizing?
Dont they use the super materials to be good environmental citizens, I think last year they were 100% recycled materials. I agree, we need plain old cotton

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
That’s a real shame for Blyth. I would rather we keep Uru in the backrow, but it seems likely to me there would be a fair drop from our best 3 locks to our next best.

Hopefully one of the young guys have really kicked along in the off-season.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I find it a bit odd the level to which Qld seems to have diminished in people’s calculations.

Tupou’s loss is massive - no doubt. And the injuries to Hoopert and Nasser also significant as it takes out what conceivably could have been our starting front row.

Is there any other spot though that, at this stage, we aren’t at least as strong or stronger? I’d prefer to have LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) & ASY (Angus Scott-Young) (Angus Scott-Young) still on our books - but neither featured that much last year so I will confess I am discounting their value a bit. Luke Jones is a good pick up. Stewart is a loss, but Paisami & Flook are both excellent and Henry appears pretty handy too. A fit and firing O’Connor & Vunivalu would be a big plus. Phil Blake would appear a great addition to the coaching group and Heenan appears well and truly to have earned his step up.

We need to be better than last year - no doubt - but it would appear to me that is entirely possible.

The only thing that’s fired on Vunivalu since he turned to real rugby are his medical bills.

• Haha
Reactions: Ras

Ras

Peter Burge (5)
Thankfully we have the lock depth to cover it but I wouldn't want to lose another in the first few rounds.

Probably means Anderson will get a crack off the bench as backrow cover in the first few rounds, very keen to see how he goes and great that he'll have a handful of games in a row to find his feet.
Is Liam Wright fully fit? maybe heading down the Pooper 2.0 route with him and McReight.