• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Is it just me or do you think Eddie’s selections for the Wallabies squad is favourable towards his Sydney connections? (Honest question). His time back in Oz and players mentioned is centralised around NSW. I’m not picking up a great vibe from the comments made in the interviews for certain players and I hope the likes of McReight and Wilson aren’t disadvantaged because of the limited time before WC.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is it just me or do you think Eddie’s selections for the Wallabies squad is favourable towards his Sydney connections? (Honest question). His time back in Oz and players mentioned is centralised around NSW. I’m not picking up a great vibe from the comments made in the interviews for certain players and I hope the likes of McReight and Wilson aren’t disadvantaged because of the limited time before WC.

I think you’re jumping at shadows. Big time.

Realrugby63

Stan Wickham (3)
I think that Harry Wilson, Fraser, Isaac Henry etc. have spent their entire sporting life dedicated to union, when they have received multiple offers by league goes to show how dedicated they are and it would be a huge slap in the face to bring in NRL players to replace them. They have probably all received offers from NRL clubs.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Does it matter who exactly has been called to replace people, Or is it infuriating to those in any position that NRL players are going to be called in.
What on earth are you talking about? Just because you're an NRL signing doesn't mean you go ahead of anyone in selection - if you're not better. Vunivalu case in point. If any rugby player gets replaced in selection by an NRL signing that would be because they're a worse player.

Marce

Greg Davis (50)
Does it matter who exactly has been called to replace people, Or is it infuriating to those in any position that NRL players are going to be called in.
The wingers are the less paid in NRL and they can switch relatively quickly, so the back three are the most threatened

You can't guarante a spot in professional sport just for loyalty. In that case, many G&GR users deserve a chance too

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah - he is. No doubt. Not just on the field, but off it.

But at least the decision has been made early and everyone can move on.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Very disappointing as a Reds fan.

From a Wallaby perspective, not convinced it’s a good move for him. Rebels aren’t exactly know as taking established players to an even higher level. Not as the Brumbies are.

what established player took their game to the next level after joining the brumbies?

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
Ben Mowen and Stephen Moore were legitimately established as super quality. Moore had played for the Wallabies already but took it another level higher.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Out of the current squad; Slipper has improved from where he was at when he left the Reds, and Caderyn Neville is another example.
Trawl back through the past 20 years and there‘s a number of examples, this is a reflection of the culture and coaching over the years, more-so then Melbourne.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Could it be as simple as stopping his off field indiscretions leading to improved on field performances?

It is hard to coach someone who may participate in recreational activities that are detrimental to on field performances.
I'm not sure it's a simple solution, but yes, the environment, culture, coaching, facilities, player buy-in etc are all a part of what improves a player and makes a club successful. Holistically, the Brumbies have a better reputation for player development than the Rebels in that regard.

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
Stilesy was a big part of Nellas development when he first arrived at the Reds so there is a connection there - having a familiar Hooker in Mafi helps as well, but I am guessing the pay packet was impressive enough to stop him from going overseas.