• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Off the field I reckon for sure.

On the field? He’s almost too much of a freak in attack that he becomes irreplaceable mid-season. You have to completely change your structure to cover him. That’s why his early injury for this season was actually beneficial. We won’t rely on his attack and we can find someone who (hopefully) is more disciplined and is better in defence. His powerful scrummaging is a massive weapon but even that can be a roulette. We just have to hope we can hold the scrum and I reckon we come out on top from what we got last year.

Acknowledging the year before he was monstrous. He clearly needs a change and hopefully reconnecting with Mafi and Stiles helps him. Because clearly it’s not Foote nor Melbourne’s history of player development.
There’s always that aspect of a coaches managing the best player in the team. You lose them and it’s a bigger void to fill.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Have been in contact with several of the newly relocated QLD players and they’ve essentially said Foote and Thorn (and more broadly the Rebels and Reds setups) are chalk and cheese, which for a guy like Mafi, he’s finding a less ‘overbearing’ regime a breathe of fresh air.

Granted it was only pre-season. See if the pressure valve stays off after a couple of losses…
To be fair, that can be read several ways.

There have long been rumours that one of fhe issues at the Rebels is they are too lax with their player standards/accountability.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
To be fair, that can be read several ways.

There have long been rumours that one of fhe issues at the Rebels is they are too lax with their player standards/accountability.
Really? They MUST raise the bar. They should have been our Melbourne Storm

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Wow interestingly the article specifically states that once Taniela made a move to Picone, the Reds withdrew their interest.

As I said earlier I was of the understanding he was going regardless. But it would be interesting if that’s true and the Reds are still not dealing with Picone.
Time for the Reds to build a bridge and get over this. (Potentially) making your organisation worse by not dealing with a manager is ludicrous.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Have been in contact with several of the newly relocated QLD players and they’ve essentially said Foote and Thorn (and more broadly the Rebels and Reds setups) are chalk and cheese, which for a guy like Mafi, he’s finding a less ‘overbearing’ regime a breathe of fresh air.

Granted it was only pre-season. See if the pressure valve stays off after a couple of losses…
Foote won't even be the coach when Nella moves down to Melbourne.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Bit of insight into how the coaching roles have evolved with the new staff
"I guess the difference with Thorny this year is he's got a very good relationship with [new defence coach] Phil Blake so he's looked to put a little more trust in those assistant coaches," McDermott explained.

"Jim McKay's stood away from our attack a little bit and UQ [University of Queensland] stalwart from the Brisbane club rugby scene Mick Heenan has come in, I've had a lot of time with Mick and I've got a lot of time for him as well; so I guess the trust being put in those fellas to run the defence and attack; Jimmy takes care of our counter attack and our kicking strategy; and then you've got Kane Hames who has come in and done a good job with the forwards.

"So for us that has been the difference [this year], Thorny has those guys there and his role now is freed, he's taken a step back and he can deal more with the player management side of things which is what we've kind of needed. Thorny's a very hard worker and that's exactly what we need, but I guess the difference has been the detail has been there with these coaches.

"And what's happening with the Reds at the moment, and particularly at Ballymore [ground renovation], is that there is a really good vibe. We don't have the injury ward we had last year, we've got the players back, and the sense of optimism that Eddie [Jones] provided for a lot those guys who were in around the fringe and were not really playing, they have come to life and we're in a good space."

Confucius Say

Arch Winning (36)
The Reds had Tupou for his best years.

Still don’t respect Rebels as a serious rugby franchise and fail to see why any players who are serious about their rugby career play there!

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Fucking Pico

Wow interestingly the article specifically states that once Taniela made a move to Picone, the Reds withdrew their interest.

As I said earlier I was of the understanding he was going regardless. But it would be interesting if that’s true and the Reds are still not dealing with Picone.

It is 100% true - Hunter left Piccone because the Reds wouldnt deal with him. It is ludicrous. Cordingly needs the boot.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Bit of insight into how the coaching roles have evolved with the new staff

Interesting line at the end re:Eddie and his discussions with fringe Wallaby players.

We all know coaches have their faves, but that line makes it sound like Rennie's stance was not going to be moved on blokes like JOC (James O'Connor) and Wilson. Maybe we'll see some big seasons from our key Wallaby players if they've essentially been given a clean slate to earn a RWC spot.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
It is 100% true - Hunter left Piccone because the Reds wouldnt deal with him. It is ludicrous. Cordingly needs the boot.
The guy has a considerable track record of playing games, with the Reds in particular - you can understand why they drew a line in the sand. The players know this and, like Paisami, won't use his services if they have any desire to be at the club.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
The guy has a considerable track record of playing games, with the Reds in particular - you can understand why they drew a line in the sand. The players know this and, like Paisami, won't use his services if they have any desire to be at the club.

He has a considerable track record of maximising a players worth. Reds will, and do deal with him.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
These Reds and QPR threads have spent enough time wasting air on the pro's and con's of player agents in general and the Picone effect.

There are two pretty strong opinions and camps about that, no one really will change their mind.

Probably don't need to derail things in here so close to the season kick-off with another chat.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I wonder if Tupou moving on frees up enough for the Reds to look at bring Paenga-Amosa back? I'd still have him ahead of all our current hookers and he'd go along way to stabilizing the scrum
Need Pone in 2024 (he will be off contract this year) and now they have Eloff, Talakai & Tupou for 2024+. Orr will be available also.

Qldtragic

Ted Fahey (11)
Need Pone in 2024 (he will be off contract this year) and now they have Eloff, Talakai & Tupou for 2024+. Orr will be available also.
Sam Talakai must be nearly ready to hang up the boots.
Cant see Pone moving as he is a local developed player, I thought. The back room seem to want to promote that along with Leota and Hosea.
Eloff is connected to Wests in Brisbane which might interest him on a more permanent move to the reds.

The big question is where are the Reds going to find a group of tough fit second rowers?

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Sam Talakai must be nearly ready to hang up the boots.
Cant see Pone moving as he is a local developed player, I thought. The back room seem to want to promote that along with Leota and Hosea.
Eloff is connected to Wests in Brisbane which might interest him on a more permanent move to the reds.

The big question is where are the Reds going to find a group of tough fit second rowers?

I would normally tend to agree but I have seen in the URC that both the Smiths are playing regularly for the lions & the stormers got Brok Harris back & playing well at 38. Any of the aus franchise could do worse than have a prop with the experience of sam if they dont just break down 3 times a season. Most of them up & go in their late 20's to japan or france so we never see it down here.