• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Rugby.com.au posted this today …….

B48A2606-053D-467F-A9C4-262C0781F6DF.jpeg

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Is that their predicted 'best' team?

Aren't Smith, JOC (James O'Connor) and Campbell likely to miss the game with injury.

Also, I could be wrong, but isn't that rugby page unaffiliated with RA or the QRU, it's just a fan page with good branding?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Is that their predicted 'best' team?

Aren't Smith, JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) and Campbell likely to miss the game with injury.

Also, I could be wrong, but isn't that rugby page unaffiliated with Rugby Australia or the QRU, it's just a fan page with good branding?
rugby.com.au is RA , or so I thought. Type it into a web browser and it sends you to Rugby Xplorer.
Think we've all heard the injury concerns , that's why I posted it. Seems strange for injured players to be named.

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
More likely a local Mc Donald’s franchise sponsoring. A player’s family one of these. Franchise contracts stipulate the type of branding to be used.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
More likely a local Mc Donald’s franchise sponsoring. A player’s family one of these. Franchise contracts stipulate the type of branding to be used.

Interesting perspective. I must admit this Pavlovian reaction to look for the negative in any good news story is tiring.

The reality is a little different.

McDonald's Marketing Manager, Queensland & Northern Territory, Jessica Altman said: "We know that Maccas is already part of Rugby ritual, whether it’s stopping in on the way home from a game at Suncorp or the early morning McCafe run before taking the kids to their weekend games. It’s great to be officially taking it to the next level and offering fans more through the partnership such as initiatives like a Free Big Mac when the Reds win at home and a free coffee to members after away games.

"At Macca’s we align ourselves to partnerships that allow us to have a positive and active impact on the local community, so we are excited to be partnering with QRU for 2023 and doing our part to support Rugby at all levels. We are also grateful for the Reds continued support of Ronald McDonald House Charities, which help support seriously ill or injured children and their families."

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Im good mates with one of the Maccas brand managers based in their head office down in Sydney, recently went down and spoke to her at length about how they’ve carved out a good niche as ‘Maccas’ the Aussie version of the fast food company.

She said part of that brand alignment was really trying to keep a footprint across sports teams around Australia as it’s such a big part of the culture. I thought she meant chucking a few $10 man of the match vouchers to the local clubs. But this is much better.

The Broncos get a free branded burger of their own for when the team wins home games. Maybe we will get a ‘Thorn Shake’ or McReight McFlurry.

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Interesting perspective. I must admit this Pavlovian reaction to look for the negative in any good news story is tiring.

The reality is a little different.

McDonald's Marketing Manager, Queensland & Northern Territory, Jessica Altman said: "We know that Maccas is already part of Rugby ritual, whether it’s stopping in on the way home from a game at Suncorp or the early morning McCafe run before taking the kids to their weekend games. It’s great to be officially taking it to the next level and offering fans more through the partnership such as initiatives like a Free Big Mac when the Reds win at home and a free coffee to members after away games.

"At Macca’s we align ourselves to partnerships that allow us to have a positive and active impact on the local community, so we are excited to be partnering with QRU for 2023 and doing our part to support Rugby at all levels. We are also grateful for the Reds continued support of Ronald McDonald House Charities, which help support seriously ill or injured children and their families."
There is a % marketing/advertising fee that is payable to the franchisor for exactly this group branding. Franchisees can contribute to the recommendations for best brand coverage. Fantastic to have Maccas on board as a financial sponsor and the add on perks.

Reactions: TSR

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
in other news (sorry burger talk) Michael Atkinson reporting on twitter Tom Lynagh is our week 1 starter versus Hurricanes.

Brad thorn has never been shy throwing a young rugby player into the deep end and having a lesson of baptism of fire… I hope Tom grabs this starting position by the reigns and JOC (James O'Connor) never gets another start at 10 ever again (cause Tom made that jersey his own)

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I dunno - I absolutely want Lynagh to do well and become our next long term 10.

But I’d also really love to see O’Connor find his groove in the 10 spot and win his way back into the Test spot.

And I feel like both those things can be achieved simultaneously.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I dunno - I absolutely want Lynagh to do well and become our next long term 10.

But I’d also really love to see O’Connor find his groove in the 10 spot and win his way back into the Test spot.

And I feel like both those things can be achieved simultaneously.
100% agree

An on-song (2020) O'Connor is still superior to the best we've seen from Lynagh at this stage imo