• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Perhaps. Depends what the sabbaticals demands are and how his body bounces back after the achilles injury as to whether it’s a good deal or not.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Perhaps. Depends what the sabbaticals demands are and how his body bounces back after the achilles injury as to whether it’s a good deal or not.
He's talking about this specifically

But yeah, if it's the reported 2 sabbaticals over a 4-5 year deal than he was basically already lost and it's not the gain the rebels hope it will be. Article is behind a paywall though so I can't say. Can see that it has Picone as his new management though.

Still he's a big loss but list/salary cap management with him on that sort of contract would be a nightmare. Might be time to have a word with Eloff and Fa'amausili.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
He's talking about this specifically

But yeah, if it's the reported 2 sabbaticals over a 4-5 year deal than he was basically already lost and it's not the gain the rebels hope it will be. Article is behind a paywall though so I can't say. Can see that it has Picone as his new management though.

Still he's a big loss but list/salary cap management with him on that sort of contract would be a nightmare. Might be time to have a word with Eloff and Fa'amausili.
Fucking Picone

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Taniela to the Rebels was pretty much a done deal when Mafi signed.

The word had filtered through 6 months ago (well I believe it was around then that I posted something on these forums) that with his best mates Mafi and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) no longer at the Reds, Nela was pretty much gone, with or without Picone’s help.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
The Eddie effect, I can feel positive vibes here. New and more sponsors, heritage jerseys almost sold out in the first days, tickets sold. I hope the Aussie sides can take advantage of this new wave by being COMPETITIVES against Kiwi sides and I said COMPETITIVES not dominants. That would be a booster for Aussie Rugby to attract the casuals/Leaguies again

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sad to see Nella go. But surprisingly not devestated. I think we’ll be fine without him. Plus it opens up some recruiting options in Melbourne.

In other news, I think our discipline issues should dramatically improve over coming years.

CD4E548E-B471-4090-8A7B-EB8DD89CEA89.png

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Wow interestingly the article specifically states that once Taniela made a move to Picone, the Reds withdrew their interest.

As I said earlier I was of the understanding he was going regardless. But it would be interesting if that’s true and the Reds are still not dealing with Picone.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
However we all want to justify this with stats it’s a mammoth loss.

Off the field I reckon for sure.

On the field? He’s almost too much of a freak in attack that he becomes irreplaceable mid-season. You have to completely change your structure to cover him. That’s why his early injury for this season was actually beneficial. We won’t rely on his attack and we can find someone who (hopefully) is more disciplined and is better in defence. His powerful scrummaging is a massive weapon but even that can be a roulette. We just have to hope we can hold the scrum and I reckon we come out on top from what we got last year.

Acknowledging the year before he was monstrous. He clearly needs a change and hopefully reconnecting with Mafi and Stiles helps him. Because clearly it’s not Foote nor Melbourne’s history of player development.

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Wow interestingly the article specifically states that once Taniela made a move to Picone, the Reds withdrew their interest.

As I said earlier I was of the understanding he was going regardless. But it would be interesting if that’s true and the Reds are still not dealing with Picone.
Fair to say Tupou had no interest in staying if he went to Picone.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Acknowledging the year before he was monstrous. He clearly needs a change and hopefully reconnecting with Mafi and Stiles helps him. Because clearly it’s not Foote nor Melbourne’s history of player development.

Have been in contact with several of the newly relocated QLD players and they’ve essentially said Foote and Thorn (and more broadly the Rebels and Reds setups) are chalk and cheese, which for a guy like Mafi, he’s finding a less ‘overbearing’ regime a breathe of fresh air.

Granted it was only pre-season. See if the pressure valve stays off after a couple of losses…

Wilson

David Codey (61)