• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Taniela was sitting with the Reds crew at the game yesterday in full kit. Good to see he's still around the club during his contract period. Seemed to be in good spirits as well.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
And surely refutes any remaining sentiment that O’Connor is only interested in ‘his brand’
Plot twist, O'Connor's getting this in early to control the narrative, when really he's looking abroad

In all seriousness it seems like the forced time off from injury has done JOC (James O'Connor) a lot of good, particularly in terms of headspace

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
And surely refutes any remaining sentiment that O’Connor is only interested in ‘his brand’
I would imagine that it also helps get more money, offering to mentor a younger player gives him more value than an old guy hanging around for money.

Maybe he wants to be a coach down the track?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I would imagine that it also helps get more money, offering to mentor a younger player gives him more value than an old guy hanging around for money.

Maybe he wants to be a coach down the track?

I was going to suggest this - does anyone know what JOC (James O'Connor)'s life after rugby will look like? I don't believe he's done any study.

It's quite possible he will use this as a platform to get involved with coaching/development of players. As much as he's polarising and I have my own personal experiences with the bloke, I think he is a good case study about youth pathways and what can be done to better prepare and protect our 'next gen stars' for the big bad world of professional football.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
His recent appearance on Johnny Wilkinson's podcast has some, let's say, interesting insights - particularly when discussing his injuries and their spiritual/mindset links towards the end (e.g. a groin injury relates to pushing for approval from others, which he likened to his mindset around the time of his groin injuries). Definitely heading down a rather alternative path, but hey, if it works for him.

Part of me wonders whether he'll make a move into the alternative/spiritual performance coaching space

Last edited:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
We assume Petaia is back too? Bench looking a lot more potent. Jock and JOC (James O'Connor) both looked rusty on the weekend but I guess they get another shot. I think Henry misses out unfortunately

15 Campbell
14 Daugunu
13 Flook
12 Paisami
11 Petaia
10 O’Connor
9 McDermott

21 Thomas
22 Lynagh
23 Vunivalu.

But it’s the forwards we need some returnees.

Realrugby63

Stan Wickham (3)
We assume Petaia is back too? Bench looking a lot more potent. Jock and JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) both looked rusty on the weekend but I guess they get another shot. I think Henry misses out unfortunately

15 Campbell
14 Daugunu
13 Flook
12 Paisami
11 Petaia
10 O’Connor
9 McDermott

21 Thomas
22 Lynagh
23 Vunivalu.

But it’s the forwards we need some returnees.
Have to say Henry/Flook is preferred. But I understand the Wallaby aspect.

Realrugby63

Stan Wickham (3)
Also, I think Wilson has been trying a lot harder since the wallabies thing and that often can lead to a few poor plays. I think he is the goods, but needs belief and the more we hear from Eddie, the more belief these guys have to generate in themselves.

Realrugby63

Stan Wickham (3)
What Wallaby aspect?

We should pick our best team for what we need
I believe Flook is the best 13 we have and Henry is the best 12 on current form, but there is always the notion that we pick wallabies first. What the Flook/Henry combination offer is two power games with an excellent kicking game on top.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yikes. Do we have anymore props? Sef cited.

Player: Sef Fa'agase
Team: Reds
Position: Prop
Date of Incident: 19 March 2023
Nature of Offence: Law 9.13: A player must not tackle an opponent early, late or dangerously. Dangerous tackling includes, but is not limited to, tackling or attempting to tackle an opponent above the line of the shoulders.
Elapsed time in match when incident occurred: 55:41

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yikes. Do we have anymore props? Sef cited.

Player: Sef Fa'agase
Team: Reds
Position: Prop
Date of Incident: 19 March 2023
Nature of Offence: Law 9.13: A player must not tackle an opponent early, late or dangerously. Dangerous tackling includes, but is not limited to, tackling or attempting to tackle an opponent above the line of the shoulders.
Elapsed time in match when incident occurred: 55:41
Is that a baby or just the citing?

If he's out it looks like Phransis Sula-Siaosi gets his shot

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I can’t think of what word you meant instead of baby??? But just cited. It was a tackle after the Jock Campbell early tackle - from the lineout after the ensuing penalty. No replay but he does seem to go a little high and perhaps leads with the shoulder.