• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Uru was great on Friday. His carries were what Harry's critics say he is missing.

Would love to see a backrow with Wilson at 8, playing the wider ranging role which he excells at and Uru at 6 doing what he was doing on Friday.

Blythe and Vest were both good in the Row. Probably Vest's best game at super level(besides his one brain fart)

No way they drop Liam Wright though. He was outstanding on the weekend.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yeah, I expect we see Uru and Wilson swap again, but with the goal of making sure Uru gets a good stint off the bench. Uru was good but I think the real difference was more of the pack putting their hands up to carry and a much greater focus on our kicking game and away from multi-phase possession.

The kicking in particular was a big shift, it's the most we've kicked this season (a 40-50% increase over recent games) and it was by and large intelligent and effective kicking. I'm not sure it's necessarily a new game plan as much as it is finally executing on one we came into the season with - we started the season with a kick to pass ratio in line with Friday night and the next best game for number of kicks was the first Brumbies game early in the season, and that might be the best we've otherwise looked.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
No way they drop Liam Wright though. He was outstanding on the weekend.
Not suggesting they drop him at all. He is playing extremely well. As is McReight.

Never the less I'd like to see the combination at some stage With one of Wright or Mcreight at 7.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Any injury updates on the players that have been out? No news on luke jones who i assume is out for the season at this point? What about paisami?

Reactions: Ged

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Any injury updates on the players that have been out? No news on luke jones who i assume is out for the season at this point? What about paisami?
Paisami was out for the season I thought?

I heard that Henry was meant to be healed up two weeks ago - but can’t imagine they would’ve put Daugunu at 13 on Friday if he was

Wilson

David Codey (61)
There’s a video on reds social media - little segment with brad thorn previewing the game tonight.

I spy what looks to be a prop in brothers gear training with reds… would that be Harrison Lloyd training with the squad?
Looks like him doesn't it. Would make sense they needed to bring someone else into training this week if the reason Ravai is out is injury or workload management.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Hello Brisbangers (I think that's the correct terminology), I'll be in town tomorrow and will be looking for a pub showing the Rebels game at 2.35pm. Any recommendations?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Anyone know what Uru's pre-game injury was? With Wright and Vest out next week we could really use him back.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Anyone know what Uru's pre-game injury was? With Wright and Vest out next week we could really use him back.
On a similar note, with Tate being out, do we continue to persist with Thomas or give Werchon a crack after his slap on the wrist?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
On a similar note, with Tate being out, do we continue to persist with Thomas or give Werchon a crack after his slap on the wrist?
I think it probably depends on how he responded to being dropped for being late to that team meeting, but assuming it was well I would. Even after his performance I'd rather have Kalani there at the death than a debutant.

For me the team would be:

1 Ravai
2 Faessler
3 Nonggorr
4 Smith*/Faifua
5 Blyth
6 Uru*/Upfield
7 McReight
8 Wilson
9 Werchon
10 Lynagh
11 Flook
12 O'Connor
13 Paisami
14 Vunivalu
15 Campbell

With a bench of
16 Asiata
17 Fa'agase
18 Harrison Lloyd
19/20 is whichever two of Faifua, Upfield, Anderson, Tauakipulu and Wilson Blyth are left
21 Thomas
22 Creighton
23 Grealy

If we run out of locks there I'm not sure who we go with from club, I think even the guys who played the challenger series are injured, maybe Fewtrell from Easts? Has anyone heard of a lock training up with the squad, ala Harry Lloyd?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
What about Keenan Tauakipulu, someone said he wasn't required by the Reds, but about now he would be quite handy? Was it discipline related?

Last edited:

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
What about Keenan Tauakipulu, someone said he wasn't required by the Reds, but about now he would be quite handy? Was it discipline related?

I think that mail about him being let go by reds was fake news.

I saw him sitting in the players area in his reds trousers and shirt with rest of reds players last week against the blues