• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I feel bad for Zac Henry, he has the raw talent but he just can't string enough matches together to prove himself.
I mentioned it in the tahs match thread, but he’s been working closely with a new physio and it’s going well. I’ve heard they’ve determined the crux of it boils down to overdevelopment of one leg and underdevelopment of the other, as a result of his long history of placekicking.

Hopefully they can do some targeted work and get him right. Firmly believe he’ll be a contender for a gold jersey in the next few years if he can string together a season.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Centres are light on particular with the injuries with Henry and Paisami. Lukas Ripley isn’t getting many minutes with the Rebels and could be a great option for the Reds. Their page says he is only contracted to the end of year.
He would be a good get. Funny though because Rebels are light on for centres too. Especially with Hodge moving on now.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Centres are light on particular with the injuries with Henry and Paisami. Lukas Ripley isn’t getting many minutes with the Rebels and could be a great option for the Reds. Their page says he is only contracted to the end of year.
I don't even think the Reds are that light on centres options, it's just that they've all broken down at the same time. Maybe one more to replace Stewart wouldn't go astray, but we've got:
Paisami
Henry
Flook
O'Connor
Petaia
Annan (looked lost at 13 though)
Daugunu (TBD)

Edit: and, as history suggests, McReight

Last edited:

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
you think Sam makes all the player decisions in isolation? No consultation with the head coach? Wider coaching team? Academy program? CEO? Rugby Committee? Just good old Sam with his own check book hiring and firing as he likes?

I would like to get to the bottom of the Sam Cordingley and new start beef

who mandated that the QRU would cut off New Start… if that decision came from the board, fine so be it.

but if it’s stubborn Sam and the QRU board is open to new start players but Sam just being a hard ass tactical negotiator then that needs to be addressed

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
you think Sam makes all the player decisions in isolation? No consultation with the head coach? Wider coaching team? Academy program? CEO? Rugby Committee? Just good old Sam with his own check book hiring and firing as he likes?
Picture 2.jpg

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)

From what I understand Uncle Sam is the only reason the Reds wont deal with New Star which reduces the ability to field a better team - word on the street is that he knocked back a current Wallaby who wanted to join the club who play the position they are ridiculously short in.

I struggle to see how this is the Coaches problem, if a new coach comes in who has no previous history do you think the New Star thing will change? I think not.

Last edited:

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Which club is Tupou aligned with?

Brothers, they have a fair chunk of Super Rugby players to return for finals.

I don't expect Taniela will play lots of minutes for the club. Probably a few decent 20-30 minute stints across a few games to test out his recovery. No use blowing him up for an 80min game and risking injury if he's going to be playing off the bench for the Wobs.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From what I understand Uncle Sam is the only reason the Reds wont deal with New Star which reduces the ability to field a better team - word on the street is that he knocked back a current Wallaby who wanted to join the club who play the position they are ridiculously short in.

I struggle to see how this is the Coaches problem, if a new coach comes in who has no previous history do you think the New Star thing will change? I think not.

I would be staggered if that was the case. Staggered. You don't think Thorn, given its his livelihood, would kick up a stink and go straight to the CEO or Chair or President if that was the case? You don't think the CEO would sign off on that strategy let alone the board? It's corporate naivety to think such a significant decision (that impacts membership, corporate etc let alone the performance of the actual team) would be made by one person in isolation.

Not saying he may have proposed it but it would have to be endorsed at many levels for it to actually get implemented.

Last edited:

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I would be staggered if that was the case. Staggered. You don't think Thorn, given its his livelihood, would kick up a stink and go straight to the CEO or Chair or President if that was the case? You don't think the CEO would sign off on that strategy let alone the board? It's corporate naivety to think such a significant decision (that impacts membership, corporate etc let alone the performance of the actual team) would be made by one person in isolation.

Not saying he may have proposed it but it would have to be endorsed at many levels for it to actually get implemented.

I actually don’t think that’s the way Thorn is built Reg.

Thorn never seem like the man to go kicking and screaming about something, yeah sure he might raise his concerns but the way he dealt with slipper and all the new star players that left - he understands the challenges with rugby in Australia and his main goal has always been “develop depth / next man up”

it’s what I admired about Thorn the most. No one players is bigger in the team and if someone goes searching greener pastures - he will get the next calve from his cattle and give them his debut

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
word on the street is that he knocked back a current Wallaby who wanted to join the club who play the position they are ridiculously short in.

I don’t think it’s word on the street. It was reported (truth) on roar dot com dot au that New star approached the reds about Pone who was keen to gauge interest in a move to QLD.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Uru was great on Friday. His carries were what Harry's critics say he is missing.

Would love to see a backrow with Wilson at 8, playing the wider ranging role which he excells at and Uru at 6 doing what he was doing on Friday.

Blythe and Vest were both good in the Row. Probably Vest's best game at super level(besides his one brain fart)