• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Lynagh wasn’t ready last year, he wasn’t really even standing out in Colts.

We will never know, but just maybe the extra time to develop was part of the reason he was ready this year.

Don’t think it’s got much to do with the size of the coaches’ Crown Jewels.
Lynagh is an interesting one. He holds his body in a professional rugby stature, his kicking style has an aesthetic appeal and the outcome is generally on point. All typical northern hemisphere traits. Where it is perplexed, his inexperience at senior level hasn’t allowed him to understand the fundamentals or importance of what he does playing at ‘playmaker’. Adapting his field position to playing deep and attacking the line hasn’t been learned, and his tackling (defence) even as an 18 y/o is below par.
i ‘m confident that he will improve in these areas with time and may become a solid super rugby player. The naming of him in Eddie’s Wallabies’ injury list as a potential Wallaby 2023 is nothing short of a fantasy. If Eddie has the room and the funds to take along a development player, grooming for 2024 and beyond then get him involved. Noting that Bowen (Tahs) is already in front. Who has the higher ceiling?
QC (Quade Cooper) and Foley are in the mix for 2023 and hopefully not beyond. Carter Gordon is in this year (RWC bench) and for the next 10 years. There is no one else (Lolesio or Donaldson) that comes near Gordon’s ceiling. Development planning for Lynagh or Bowen shouldn’t be delayed. At a minimum, they both need to shine in Prems before inviting them to Wallaby’s training.

Last edited:

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
My misanthropic judgement of JOC (James O'Connor) was channeling back in March. Well known for his pathological lies and holding a poker face when doing it. BS about mentoring Lynagh because he’s in front of the cameras. Nice.

If JOC (James O'Connor) is chasing the 10 jersey in WA, he’s got a bigger challenge with Hegarty, Strachan, Stewart ?, and Reesjan returning from injury in 2024. Reds could chase Reesjan Pasitoa.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
My misanthropic judgement of JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) was channeling back in March. Well known for his pathological lies and holding a poker face when doing it. BS about mentoring Lynagh because he’s in front of the cameras. Nice.

If JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) is chasing the 10 jersey in WA, he’s got a bigger challenge with Hegarty, Strachan, Stewart ?, and Reesjan returning from injury in 2024. Reds could chase Reesjan Pasitoa.
Relax dude

justlookin

Stan Wickham (3)
Lynagh is an interesting one. He holds his body in a professional rugby stature, his kicking style has an aesthetic appeal and the outcome is generally on point. All typical northern hemisphere traits. Where it is perplexed, his inexperience at senior level hasn’t allowed him to understand the fundamentals or importance of what he does playing at ‘playmaker’. Adapting his field position to playing deep and attacking the line hasn’t been learned, and his tackling (defence) even as an 18 y/o is below par.
i ‘m confident that he will improve in these areas with time and may become a solid super rugby player. The naming of him in Eddie’s Wallabies’ injury list as a potential Wallaby 2023 is nothing short of a fantasy. If Eddie has the room and the funds to take along a development player, grooming for 2024 and beyond then get him involved. Noting that Bowen (Tahs) is already in front. Who has the higher ceiling?
QC (Quade Cooper) (Quade Cooper) and Foley are in the mix for 2023 and hopefully not beyond. Carter Gordon is in this year (RWC bench) and for the next 10 years. There is no one else (Lolesio or Donaldson) that comes near Gordon’s ceiling. Development planning for Lynagh or Bowen shouldn’t be delayed. At a minimum, they both need to shine in Prems before inviting them to Wallaby’s training.
It is likely Bowen and Lynagh will go head to head for the jnr wallaby 10 jersey. That will be an interesting battle. Lynagh not playing recently probably isn't helping his cause.

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
It is likely Bowen and Lynagh will go head to head for the jnr wallaby 10 jersey. That will be an interesting battle. Lynagh not playing recently probably isn't helping his cause.
I watched Lynagh’s 40 minutes for UQ on Saturday. He did a good job and scored a try. Bowen does have the edge. Just.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
@RugbyReg I’m interested in knowing why my comment is funny. I like Lynagh. It’s not undermining his abilities.

I'm not Reg however I suspect it's because you're shitting on an 18yo rookie for not being Dan Carter. "Even as an 18yo it's below par"

Give it a rest. How many other 18yo playmakers do you see running around in super rugby. He has been pretty damn impressive in a couple of his outings for the Reds this year, not all of them but a couple. Can't ask for much more than that at his age and development.

I suspect Reg will have a laugh at this one as well because you post this reply when you completely undermined his abilities in a previous post.

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I'm not Reg however I suspect it's because you're shitting on an 18yo rookie for not being Dan Carter. "Even as an 18yo it's below par"

Give it a rest. How many other 18yo playmakers do you see running around in super rugby. He has been pretty damn impressive in a couple of his outings for the Reds this year, not all of them but a couple. Can't ask for much more than that at his age and development.

I suspect Reg will have a laugh at this one as well because you post this reply when you completely undermined his abilities in a previous post.
It’s a forum it’s it. Doesn’t everyone voice their opinions here. If you’re good enough, you’re old enough to play super rugby. Maybe it’s the fact that Tom is Michael Lynagh’s son and there should be no negative words. But feel free to say what you want about Zander or Thomas.
Not bagging the kid just pointing out my views. Tom has more than most as an 18yo but I judge him as. Super Rugby player.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
QC (Quade Cooper) (Quade Cooper) and Foley are in the mix for 2023 and hopefully not beyond. Carter Gordon is in this year (RWC bench) and for the next 10 years. There is no one else (Lolesio or Donaldson) that comes near Gordon’s ceiling. Development planning for Lynagh or Bowen shouldn’t be delayed. At a minimum, they both need to shine in Prems before inviting them to Wallaby’s training.

I do watch Super Rugby, so I have to ask…

Who the fuck is Bowen?

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
But feel free to say what you want about Zander or Thomas.
This really isn't the slam dunk you think it is. They're still young at 21 and 23, but both have been around the Reds setup (at a Super Rugby level) for several years, with 30 and 37 caps to their names, and have not demonstrated the development as players that would be expected in that time.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I must say I'm liking the O'Connor/Flook centres pairing more and more. A bit of a change from the crash and bash centres pairings the Reds have favoured since Kerevi, but it seems to balance out the backline well. Very solid in D, and having an alternate playmaker outside Creighton really unlocks the outside backs.

Would like to see more of Lynagh inside JOC (James O'Connor). Creighton has been solid enough, but I'm not sure he has the 'vision' that defines great 10s, and seems to struggle with distribution at times.