• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
yeah - I don't have that detail for other teams but off the top of my head the Tahs have had Seu, Jorgensen, Lambert, Goddard, Nadolo, Dowling, Sateki Latu, Botha and Tuipulotu at least this year? Force have a heap too I'd suggest. Brumbies probably less but still Schoupp, Toole, Tua, Van Nek, Wright, Cale, O'Donnell, Rolando?, Meredith, Kautai?, Thompson - ok, so perhaps not much less.
Forgetting John Ulugia Reg?

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
From a purely Super Rugby perspective, coaching success with QLD:

1 McKenzie - 44 wins from 65 games @ 68%
2 Connolly - 33/57 @ 58%
3 McBain - 13/23 @ 57%
4 Thorn - 40/86 @ 47%
5 Slack - 5/11 @ 45%
6 Miller - 12/35 @ 34%
7 Stiles - 4/15 @ 27%
8 Graham - 9/34 @ 26%
9 Mooney - 6/26 @ 23% & Stiles/O'Connor - 3/13 @ 23%
11 Jones - 2/13 @ 15%

6 games (at least) to go? If we win all 6, Brad will finish with a plus 50% win rate.
So many memories here of sitting at Lang Park and watching us lose.....my son and I went to many but not all games each year and I am sure we went years without being there when the Reds won.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I respect that Thorn will hold through 2023. In general can only respect what he has tried to do for the Reds. It was definitely time - kudos to the guy for working that issue through with dignity.
He seems pretty switched on, hardly the type of person to burn bridges. Maybe he will be back once his kids have grown up in some capacity?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
yeah - I don't have that detail for other teams but off the top of my head the Tahs have had Seu, Jorgensen, Lambert, Goddard, Nadolo, Dowling, Sateki Latu, Botha and Tuipulotu at least this year? Force have a heap too I'd suggest. Brumbies probably less but still Schoupp, Toole, Tua, Van Nek, Wright, Cale, O'Donnell, Rolando?, Meredith, Kautai?, Thompson - ok, so perhaps not much less.

Good memory for the Tahs. I can think of Zac von Appen, Harry Wilson and Hunter Ward as well who have debuted for the Tahs this year.

Ras

Peter Burge (5)
The Tim Sampson thought train has ended, Rebels just locked him up as an assistant until the end of 2025

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
disagree on Faessler.

there’s always been better options before him. BPA, Mafi etc…

& Thorn absolutely deserves some credit on Lynagh. Mick Heenan never had the balls to give Lynagh a QPR start. Crazy that Brad thorn had the guts picking a player straight out of qpr colts
Didn't have the balls? Hahaha. Heenan has a long history of selecting colts when/if they're ready and have shown they can match it with the guys in grades. The Uni 10 was playing great rugby last year, Lynagh was going ok in colts and improved towards they latter part of the year. He got a fair few gigs off the bench. Pretty good development imo.

He has exceeded expectations this year, most likely due to a couple years in a pro environment and being given time to find his feet and build his confidence, not being fed to the dogs.

I'll back his decisions given 15 or so years as a very successful prems coach in bringing young guys through their system successfully.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I’m aware of Heenan extensive history as a qpr coach Purce. It’s unrivalled! Qld rugby has a lot to thank Mick for being a production line of 3rd tier talent ready to take the next step.

Im just saying in the instance with Lynagh it was Thorn (not Heenan) who was the one who had the balls to give the youngen a start at next level.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
I’m aware of Heenan extensive history as a qpr coach Purce. It’s unrivalled! Qld rugby has a lot to thank Mick for being a production line of 3rd tier talent ready to take the next step.

Im just saying in the instance with Lynagh it was Thorn (not Heenan) who was the one who had the balls to give the youngen a start at next level.
Lynagh wasn’t ready last year, he wasn’t really even standing out in Colts.

We will never know, but just maybe the extra time to develop was part of the reason he was ready this year.

Don’t think it’s got much to do with the size of the coaches’ Crown Jewels.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Don’t think it’s got much to do with the size of the coaches’ Crown Jewels.
It’s a expression - and I agree another year at UQ or a hypothetical 2023 where Heenan is reds head coach, Lynagh probably getting that next level shot under Heenan.

think it’s important to highlight the great things Brad did and when other posters want to say Thorn isn’t responsible for some of these players developments. I’ll point it out