• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Is he the captain for the season? I can't remember
Yeah, co-captain with Tate. Has generally done the media commitments, in part because he's been out injured so often.
Very interesting that Wright is there, as I thought he had signed some sort of a hybrid deal were he was also going to play for the Natal Sharks at some stage.
He has a hybrid deal where he can go play elsewhere in the off season if not selected for the Wallabies.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
This would be all time if they announced that Thorn had the full backing of the board and players and would be staying on as Reds coach for another 3 seasons.

I seem to remember a couple of false starts during the Richard Graham period where we all thought he was going to be marched but it turned out the media announcement was to promote their new training shirts.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Robbie Deans would be a good get.

I really hope they don't just go with Heenan though, however, I can see one of the stipulations of the job being that he stays on under whomever as an assistant coach as bit of a future proofing if the new coach flops after a few seasons.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Struth! Over 10 per season

Say what you will about Thorn's abilities as HC, but his talent ID and belief in younger guys is up their with the best

I'm less convinced.

I'll certainly say that Thorn has absolutely been willing to give young players a crack. He has very much steered away from older journeymen.

There's been a significant feeling among Reds fans over the last few years that the Reds haven't held onto some of the players they should have. Too many new players isn't a good thing.

How many players have played one or two games and never been heard of again? Giving someone a crack is great but if they don't stick then maybe you've identified the wrong players?

How many known young talents haven't ended up getting enough of an opportunity with the Reds that they've signed elsewhere? Rhys van Nek would certainly be one who seems like a substantial loss without adequate quality being kept instead.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm less convinced.

I'll certainly say that Thorn has absolutely been willing to give young players a crack. He has very much steered away from older journeymen.

There's been a significant feeling among Reds fans over the last few years that the Reds haven't held onto some of the players they should have. Too many new players isn't a good thing.

How many players have played one or two games and never been heard of again? Giving someone a crack is great but if they don't stick then maybe you've identified the wrong players?

How many known young talents haven't ended up getting enough of an opportunity with the Reds that they've signed elsewhere? Rhys van Nek would certainly be one who seems like a substantial loss without adequate quality being kept instead.

2018 QLD Red Debuts:

- Brandon Paenga-Amosa
- JP Smith
- Tate McDermott
- Liam Wright
- Filipo Daugunu
- Harry Hockings
- Angus Scott-Young
- Ruan Smith
- Jordan Petaia
- Harry Hoopert
- Angus Blyth
- Teti Tela

2019 Debuts:
- Bryce Hegarty
- Sefa Naivalu
- Feao Fotaika
- Isaac Lucas
- Jack Hardy
- Fraser McReight
- Jock Campbell
- Matt McGahan
- Seb Wileman
- Gav Luka
- Scott Maloula

2020 Debuts:
- Henry Speight
- Hary Wilson
- Dane Zander
- Seru Uru
- Hunter Paisami
- Josh Nasser
- Ed Craig
- Tuaina Tualima
- Josh Flook
- Jack Stracker
- Zane Nonngorr
- Sean Farrell
- Jethro Felemi

2021 Debuts:
- Richie Asiata
- Ryan Smith
- Ilaisa Droasese
- Suliasi Vunivalu
- Sam Wallis
- Kalani Thomas
- Isaac Henry
- Mac Grealy

2022 Debuts:
- Lawson Creighton
- Spencer Jeans
- Matt Faessler
- Connor Vest
- Lopeti Faifua
- Wilson Blyth*
- Taine Roiri*
- Louis Werchon*
- Joey Fittock*
- Floyd Aubrey*

2023 Debuts:
- Tom Lynagh
- Peni Ravia
- Jake Upfield
- Connor Anderson
- Taj Annan
- Phransis Sula-Siaosi

* No Super Rugby debut - just capped v Saitama

I actually think that is a pretty damn good hit rate. You've got a few who came with experience (Speight, Naivalu, Smith twins) but mostly he's picked local talent. The ones who are more one offs (Wileman, Luka, Tela) came with mass injury concerns.

I can't see too many misses there? Zander one who hasn't developed, is probably the standout?

Ryan Smith and Feoa Fotuaika are two absolute success standouts in my mind. Probably a few more in there too.

The comments about Van Nek are a little misguided, as the big two teams will always miss out on some players, and sometimes the opportunity doesn't align with the form. There are always a multitude of reasons for players not making it at one team, but doing so elsewhere. Conor Vest as an example.

Brad won't be judged on who he brought in - it will be the exits. Slipper, Cooper, Hunt, Rodda, Hocking and Lucas initially and then the departure of ASY (Angus Scott-Young), LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Mafi and Tupou. I think the last few are the ones that have impacted his recent success the most.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Robbie Deans would be a good get.

I really hope they don't just go with Heenan though, however, I can see one of the stipulations of the job being that he stays on under whomever as an assistant coach as bit of a future proofing if the new coach flops after a few seasons.
I think it would be too soon. Would they bring in a senior coach with the idea of continuing to develop coaches as well as steady a team that has a number of current capped Wallabies. Cron & Coleman show there is a taste for coaches that have Club land experience. I would support Heenan over lobbing in a guy like Nathan Grey or any former player with a blessed run of jobs. Gilmore at the Tahs has been around for a while and looked after Aus A right?

I think its a desirable job for a coach. Current Wallabies, strong local juniors, location and the resources hopefully thrown at Rugby with the Lions and RWC all in the next 5 years.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I actually think that is a pretty damn good hit rate. You've got a few who came with experience (Speight, Naivalu, Smith twins) but mostly he's picked local talent. The ones who are more one offs (Wileman, Luka, Tela) came with mass injury concerns.

I can't see too many misses there? Zander one who hasn't developed, is probably the standout?

Ryan Smith and Feoa Fotuaika are two absolute success standouts in my mind. Probably a few more in there too.

Thanks for providing the analysis. It would be interesting to see how the numbers compare to other teams.

Certainly not really any duds on the list. The 5 that are only considered capped here due to the Saitama game bring down the number bit as well. That was obviously not a trial game but in my view muddies the waters a bit on whether too many people were introduced or not.