• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Will be interesting to see the direction the Reds organisation take next.

Seems clear Thorn will be out before season's end. Heenan hasn't shown anything yet that say's hes a masterstroke professional coach, but he hasn't really had the chance. My main concern is that Heenan might be more of the same in terms of pathways and a bit of an 'insular' mindset in terms of squad makeup.

I can see a scenario where the Reds wait until post-RWC for any coaching announcements. Possibly look at bringing in a senior external coach but keeping Heenan on as a clear successor in the next 2-4 years when the Reds enter their next phase of maturity.

Rumours of the changes will no doubt be rife, but I don't think Heenan finally decided to make the jump to professional coaching, only to take over a turd of a team after 12 months in the job. It's likely there will be a few years of rebuilding around guys like Tate, McReight and Wilson, having Lyangh develop into the out and out backline leader will take time.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Quade Cooper should throw his hat in the ring to be the next Reds coach - he was taught by the best in Ewen McKenzie, he has an intrinsic understanding of rugby strategy & knowledge of how to implement effective game-plans (unlike coach Goon)...

some of your hottakes rodha. ‍♂️

how do you think the coaching community would feel about Quade being parachuted into one of the top jobs in Australia (all the whilst still wanting to be eligible to play for wallabies)

least ever green brad thorn who’d never coached before arriving at the reds had a pathway to the reds head coaching role via u20s teams and the NRC qld country

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It's likely there will be a few years of rebuilding around guys like Tate, McReight and Wilson, having Lyangh develop into the out and out backline leader will take time.

Reds re-building? Let's be frank, this has been going on since Link left. SNAFU, it's the Reds after all.

Can't wait to see how Reds management manage to ... oh hell, I'll leave it there.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Ok so a short turnaround this week with a trip to Samoa. Means any coaching movements will unlikely happen until the following week (bye week).

So what changes to the team? Blyth gone for sure so Smith starts again. I wonder if Jones is close enough to sit on the bench?

I’d start Lynagh if fit. No idea what to do with Vunivalu. Pity he didn’t have club footy to play last week.

Sef back perhaps? Just bring him in for Zander.

In the end, there’s not many changes we can do that will make a material change. It’s just up to the team to step up.
I hope the Reds announce that Vunivalu has the full support of the board.

At least this way we would know his future;)

LMU

Allen Oxlade (6)
I hope the Reds announce that Vunivalu has the full support of the board.

At least this way we would know his future;)
Vunivalu has been poor surely reputation only lasts so long. Last Melbourne Storm game in 2020, shown nothing since.

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)
Very interesting that Wright is there, as I thought he had signed some sort of a hybrid deal were he was also going to play for the Natal Sharks at some stage.