• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I generally agree about not blooding a young player too early.

But when it comes to dual passport holders you do need to consider the longer term impacts if the poaching vultures are circling.

Lynagh would be a player I would consider outside of a World Cup year & getting him a token cap on the EOYT
I expect he'll be capped for Australia A later this year

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

Aus A caps ruin your eligibility if dual international?

didn’t think Aus A was playing any rugby in 2023. Maybe we could play some minion nation that missed out like how USA lost to Chile.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Aus A caps ruin your eligibility if dual international?

didn’t think Aus A was playing any rugby in 2023. Maybe we could play some minion nation that missed out like how USA lost to Chile.
Aus A is our second cap team, so as long as the opposition is also a cap team they lock you in. I'm not sure if there was anything booked in yet but there was definitely talk there would be.

You'd have to think there are plenty of tier 2 nations looking for game time in the lead up to the world cup that would be happy to play them. I assume the pacific nations cup will be happening again too, it's a regular tournament and important world cup prep for Samoa/Tonga/Fiji.

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
I generally agree about not blooding a young player too early.

But when it comes to dual passport holders you do need to consider the longer term impacts if the poaching vultures are circling.

Lynagh would be a player I would consider outside of a World Cup year & getting him a token cap on the EOYT
Not just dual passport. Qualifies for Italy as well thanks to his Mum.

Reactions: dru

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I get the impression Lynagh would have been there if fit. He was listed as not considered due t injury
He was concussed, and that stand-down finished this week. Unless there’s another injury.

in my opinion it’s too early for Lynagh, he was only played a handful of games above colts level. He has already been put on a pedestal because of his name, need to ease the pressure off him a bit.

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
He was concussed, and that stand-down finished this week. Unless there’s another injury.

in my opinion it’s too early for Lynagh, he was only played a handful of games above colts level. He has already been put on a pedestal because of his name, need to ease the pressure off him a bit.
He does look good. Wouldn’t mind seeing him in a Prems game.

Realrugby63

Stan Wickham (3)
Australia A would be fine in my opinion as it is a step up, but after half a season of super rugby and being so young I think it would be stupid to put him in the wallabies squad. Bolter for World Cup though

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)

I agree it's too soon for Wobs - maybe not exposure to a training camp though - BUT the guy seems to be thriving under the pressure. Even among those touted as teen prodigies, he seems a very special find. An Aus A cap can't come soon enough

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

he was listed on the official Wallaby announcement release:

Not considered for selection due to injury
Folau Fainga'a
Tom Lynagh
Alex Mafi
Hunter Paisami
Matt Philip
Izack Rodda

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Doran reporting Vunivalu to be dropped (unsurprising) and Creighton to come in for O'Connor (surprising).

Also an interesting little note at the end when discussing Thorn's future, saying the Reds are hoping to keep him 'in their coaching system' - but not necessarily as head coach?

https://www.theroar.com.au/2023/04/...SyXecUzlPoH8Ek7ILJnU9etTa5p8y6Iop0W8Vn9XEsPrs

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Doran reporting Vunivalu to be dropped (unsurprising) and Creighton to come in for O'Connor (surprising).

Also an interesting little note at the end when discussing Thorn's future, saying the Reds are hoping to keep him 'in their coaching system' - but not necessarily as head coach?

https://www.theroar.com.au/2023/04/...SyXecUzlPoH8Ek7ILJnU9etTa5p8y6Iop0W8Vn9XEsPrs
A few of us have said this now.
For all his criticism, Thorn still has coaching ability; he has did well with the Queensland Country team his style resonated with the U20s, it would be an absolute shame to lose him to Australian Rugby given how deficient we are in coaching IP.

Maybe that’s an U20s or academy coaching role. Who knows.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
For all his criticism, Thorn still has coaching ability; he has did well with the Queensland Country team his style resonated with the U20s, it would be an absolute shame to lose him to Australian Rugby given how deficient we are in coaching IP.

I can only support strongly this approach.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Hope Brad turns it around and gets that contract extension. Think he will coach super rugby or international test level if that’s what he aspires to do.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)

Yep, absolutely. It’s been said before, but one of Thorn’s biggest strengths is a knack for young talent identification and their initial development. We cannot afford to let someone like that go.

The flip side being that Thorn, understandably, may not want to take a step ‘down’ the ranks

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I'll be astonished if he re-signs now with the offers he could attract overseas or in the NRL
Did you heard something? I think France or Japan would be the most common options. He isn't a high profile player to get the attention over there