• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Wilson watch very much in effect now for the rest of the season. He hasn’t exactly responded from Rennie’s omissions with outstanding follow up performances, just more of the same (which isn’t bad by any means, but I don’t think he’s progressing much).

I wouldn’t be surprised to see his form slip the for the rest of the year, having spoken to a few people in his inner circle lately he was very keen to get a Wallabies crack under Eddie…

Mug Punter

Ward Prentice (10)
I'll be astonished if he re-signs now with the offers he could attract overseas or in the NRL. I know he loves the club but will be shocked if he's still here next year

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I'll be astonished if he re-signs now with the offers he could attract overseas or in the NRL. I know he loves the club but will be shocked if he's still here next year
Still a season to play and with Samu leaving at the end of the year he may go for a single year extension for a final shot at it

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Wilson watch very much in effect now for the rest of the season. He hasn’t exactly responded from Rennie’s omissions with outstanding follow up performances, just more of the same (which isn’t bad by any means, but I don’t think he’s progressing much).

I wouldn’t be surprised to see his form slip the for the rest of the year, having spoken to a few people in his inner circle lately he was very keen to get a Wallabies crack under Eddie…

I hope he sees it as a driver to do more and demand a gold jersey.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
As much as I want him to stay, I would not be upset if he went and cashed in for a few years and then tries to come back for the next world cup, all players are only an injury away from the end of their career, if he is not appreciated at a national level then he may as well be set up for life. He must be about 60-70 caps for QLD so has certainly done his part.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
What has gone wrong?

Ewen McKenzie left 10 years ago & you haven't recovered since - at least Nuicifora is off contract next year.

He (Nucifora) is a Queenslander, so has Reds blood running through his veins. A winner AND a Queenslander...

Honestly, what more could the Reds franchise want in a new coach?
Probably someone who has coached in the past 15 years

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)

this is what’s going to happen. Harry has all the tools to be a great RL player. Ball running and tackling is elite.

There’s a chance this time next year Harry Wilson is playing for the Redcliffe Dolphins. He starts 1st year origin and wins the Daly M award to top off his year with a end of year tour to play for Kangaroos.

Wilson is behind two very good #8 in Valentini & Gleeson. Rugby league would be mad not trying to get one up on the ARU & paying him whatever pay range Hayne Paas is earning cause Rugby union #8 playing front row in league.

I hope Rugby Australia can find some of that wallaby top up money for our Queenslanders.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Funnily enough was watching the Reds game with a few ex-maroons on Friday night and they were all commenting about Harry’s running style and feet as he approaches contact. Thought he’d be a great edge runner in league, even elite if he had a skills in the air.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
He will go and everyone will complain about it as they did with Liam Gill when in reality there are simply better options available. The emergence of Gleeson has changed the picture quite dramatically.

Rugby Australia can't afford to overspend on a top up for their third choice #8.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Funnily enough was watching the Reds game with a few ex-maroons on Friday night and they were all commenting about Harry’s running style and feet as he approaches contact. Thought he’d be a great edge runner in league, even elite if he had a skills in the air.

Garrick Morgan days at the crushers really turned RL circles sour from recruiting rugby Union forwards.

Harry got all the tools to be A RL superstar. i reckon he would start in origin 1st year…

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
I hope Rugby Australia can find some of that wallaby top up money for our Queenslanders.
God I hope so. At present we are fucked. Vunivalu, McReight are signed already but Tupou is gone. If this squad is any indication we will be stumping up a lot to convince 'spine' players to stay. Great for Flook though.

It may work as an incentive to implement a coaching team aligned with Wallabies strategy because at the moment we couldn't be doing less to turn professionals into test players.

Not only money but players must surely be considering the competency of Thorn to get them to the next level.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Not only money but players must surely be considering the competency of Thorn to get them to the next level.
really? I don’t see this as a brad thorn problem.
He’s given a lot of these young wallaby fringe players a early go in super rugby by blooding them in deep end.

the problem with qld reds selection in wallabies is.

a) the politics of selecting mandated warratah players and who writes the cheques (guess what the cheque writers for ARU are generally old boys at Randwick, Sydney Uni etc)

b) the previous Brumbies coaching staff that was associated with Dave Rennie and being ingrained so deeply in the national team coaching staff. It’s going to take awhile to get rid of that Brumbies biasism (granted they are the form team - if reds players want to make wallabies then they need to lift their game and get Brad thorn some extra wins)

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Is Gleeson actually tall enough to play 8 for our current Wallabies?

With either Hooper or McReight playing 7, Holloway at 6 and Valentine at 8, can we afford to have Gleeson at 8? It feels him starting with a non-jumping 7 means we're back to Chieka days and Pooper.

Let me know if I've miss judged how tall he is on TV, but I'd be surprised if he was even 6'1.

Mr Arie

Herbert Moran (7)
Is Gleeson actually tall enough to play 8 for our current Wallabies?

With either Hooper or McReight playing 7, Holloway at 6 and Valentine at 8, can we afford to have Gleeson at 8? It feels him starting with a non-jumping 7 means we're back to Chieka days and Pooper.

Let me know if I've miss judged how tall he is on TV, but I'd be surprised if he was even 6'1.
Same height as Samu but he's never talked about as being a lineout liability

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Could Harry Wilson play lock? I know his probably a inch or 2 off being a world class lock but he’s skillset of having another hit up/tackle monster out on the field… could be pathway into the game day 23.

He’d have to come to terms with the transition of going from the no1 position of choice in forward pack #8 to a front row bum sniffer #4 #5

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
All this wringing of hands about Wilson. He will get better as he matures physically. Lots of skill and speed, not enough grunt yet. That will come as he toughens up.

Problem is that he was blooded as a Wallaby so early. There is an expectation on himself that he can play to that level, so when he misses out, it's obviously going to be seen as a slight against him.

Realrugby63

Stan Wickham (3)
Problem is that he was blooded as a Wallaby so early. There is an expectation on himself that he can play to that level, so when he misses out, it's obviously going to be seen as a slight against him.
Exactly why I’m glad Lynagh wasn’t picked in the squad. You only need to look at JOC (James O'Connor) to see why we should give them a year or two more to get established before blooding them.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Exactly why I’m glad Lynagh wasn’t picked in the squad. You only need to look at JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) to see why we should give them a year or two more to get established before blooding them.

I generally agree about not blooding a young player too early.

But when it comes to dual passport holders you do need to consider the longer term impacts if the poaching vultures are circling.

Lynagh would be a player I would consider outside of a World Cup year & getting him a token cap on the EOYT