• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

dru

Tim Horan (67)
You are right but he was weak in contact. A good scrummager, not the best
He is the only WB lock that I know from the last 10 years where props were openly speaking about his ability and rating it. I'd say Simmons is the very definition of the best scrummaging lock - in Australia anyway.

Last edited:

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Rob Simmons fan here, on the topic of the scrum, he was also the only lock that people continually questioned his physicality so I think there is a level of his mates feeling the need to make comment on things like scrummaging to quash the chatter. Locks obviously help come scrum time but let’s be honest TH determine if your scrum is good or not.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
He is the only WB lock that I nknw from the last 10 years where props were openly speaking about his ability and rating it. I'd say Simmons is the very definition of the best scrummaging lock - in Australia anyway.
Dru, do you have an actual quote from a prop about Rob's scrummaging prowess? I asked this same question at the height of the discussion about him in scrums and never got an answer. I have never seen any comments directly from the Wallaby props at the time to that effect, but it was widely trumpeted on this site. Quite prepared to accept it as fact if there is an attributable statement somewhere.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
‘Hoping for improvement’ is a very doubtful assessment of Jones’ chances. A real shame - not just because he’s a handy lock, but also an older head

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Jones not taking the field this year combined with props that need extra weight behind them does make you regret losing LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto).
A real pity but not sure it's regret from the Reds perspective - there wasn't much they could've done to keep him when RA decided not to offer him a top up.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Dru, do you have an actual quote from a prop about Rob's scrummaging prowess? I asked this same question at the height of the discussion about him in scrums and never got an answer. I have never seen any comments directly from the Wallaby props at the time to that effect, but it was widely trumpeted on this site. Quite prepared to accept it as fact if there is an attributable statement somewhere.

Interesting query and obviously no, I don't. I recall for instance a discussion about him where Kearns spoke about a good lock behind the prop as a "comfy chair". And other items actually, but I'm not going to go hunting for quotes. I certainly don't know of any other lock discussed like this.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Rob Simmons fan here, on the topic of the scrum, he was also the only lock that people continually questioned his physicality so I think there is a level of his mates feeling the need to make comment on things like scrummaging to quash the chatter.
That's right. I supported Simmons so I remember pretty well that always have been critised by fans as the weak link in the forwards pack. Maybe those comments by his teammates were in order to support him

Marce

John Thornett (49)
they must be working part time at the Tahs who are going thru their own injury issues.

teams can’t stay healthy, gotta have depth - that’s rugby
Yeah but most of Tahs players get injured during games meanwhile Jones and Vunivalu came with body issues

Fireworks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Tupou has been posting some stuff on his socials and it looks like he's moving and recovering well from his injury. Is there any chance he could be back and available in the back end of the season OR have they completely ruled him out of featuring for the Reds this year?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Tupou has been posting some stuff on his socials and it looks like he's moving and recovering well from his injury. Is there any chance he could be back and available in the back end of the season OR have they completely ruled him out of featuring for the Reds this year?

Considering he’s not part of the long term plans, I’m not sure they’d bother playing him in 1 or 2 games. In saying that, he’s spoken to Brothers rugby club and told them he intends to play some games for them if possible as part of his return to fitness plan for the RWC.

So probably depends on the timing of everything and how the Reds are on the ladder could be a factor.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Only 4 Reds in the first Wallabies squad. And one is an import.
With all the talent of this leading state nursery, what has gone wrong?
There are more QLD juniors from other teams that have made the squad than the Reds!

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
With all the talent of this leading state nursery, what has gone wrong?

What has gone wrong?

Ewen McKenzie left 10 years ago & you haven't recovered since - at least Nuicifora is off contract next year.

He (Nucifora) is a Queenslander, so has Reds blood running through his veins. A winner AND a Queenslander...

Honestly, what more could the Reds franchise want in a new coach?

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
What has gone wrong?

Ewen McKenzie left 10 years ago & you haven't recovered since - at least Nuicifora is off contract next year.

He (Nucifora) is a Queenslander, so has Reds blood running in his veins. A winner and a Queenslander. What more could the Reds franchise want in a new coach?
Anyone less likely to bring you to this thread.

Also someone who has coached a game of rugby in the past decade would be preferable. If we were to sign Nucifora it would be as a replacement for Cordingley where he could bring his skillset to bear and do the most good. It seems particularly unlikely though.