• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Some of the commentary about Thorn taking his time to decide before he re-signed for 2yrs were from Horan interesting.
Fishing season is it?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Fishing season is it?
No just interesting to me that Thorn acknowledged before he re-signed how hard it could be to stay at the top. Now the results are not coming and the game plan etc is being criticised some Reds fans will still look past him for the failings he was fairly open about.

It happens to many coaches. Cheika, McEwen, -the list is long.

As for the RA rumours, how much merit they hold who knows. But its interesting to consider if its a factor in as it can define his career going forward.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
No just interesting to me that Thorn acknowledged before he re-signed how hard it could be to stay at the top.
Humour this idiot, but can you please copy from the article where that's said? I've read it a couple of times and I cannot seem to find it?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Humour this idiot, but can you please copy from the article where that's said? I've read it a couple of times and I cannot seem to find it?
Unsurprising you find google complex - even with voice commands.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I think your obsession with NRL wingers is a little unhealthy
My obsession or RA board obsession with them? lol. The main problem is that living overseas I can't watch Shute Shield or QPR games but I can watch NRL. I can watch even AFL games cause my company of streaming sports have the AFL games included lol and I have not idea about Aussie Rules TBH

20220507_080811.jpg

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
why’d you post the 3 week old article if that comment from Thorn or Horan wasn’t in there?
My apologies. I failed to simplify it enough. Let me break it down some more.

The 3 week old article are about the issue 3 weeks ago regarding the comments from RA about Thorn.

The comments from Thorn about his decisions to sign for another two year were made when he decided sign for two years at the start of the season via several types of media. The Horan comments were via TV telecast in the same period (that's when Thorn re-signed for another two years).

One question this alleged idiot does have is what is all the agitation about from you Reds supporters?

From a simple point the Thorn suggested it hard to stay at the top and he knew it would be a challenge (which is universally known in sports), and injuries have made it harder, with possibly the RA comments being an extra irritant; all reasons why he might be struggling more than usual. Usually you lot go fully princess which is the norm when you are losing, but whoa nelly, the toys are flying from the cot on this one - even more so then usual. Obviously found the Thorn that is hurting you!

Personally I think he has peaked (and that could be due to his lack of experience). The Reds season is imploding, there is no evolution from last year, the game plans are poor, some of the substitutions are puzzling and you can't compete with the Kiwi team's That all on Thorn. As head coach he is accountable.

Maybe next year he can fix it, but its clear the bar is higher than its even been so he will need to make it a pretty significant step up so the media will heavily scrutinise what happening at the Reds. His other issue is that it's clear he has critics in RA so the media attention will be more focused on him next year.

Last edited:

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
My apologies. I failed to simplify it enough. Let me break it down some more.

The 3 week old article are about the issue 3 weeks ago regarding the comments from Rugby Australia about Thorn.

The comments from Thorn about his decisions to sign for another two year were made when he decided sign for two years at the start of the season via several types of media. The Horan comments were via TV telecast in the same period (that's when Thorn re-signed for another two years).
So you’re connecting three separate pieces of media/commentary in your head without explaining as much, linking one that references nothing to do with your initial comment, and then having a crack at people’s intellect when you’re asked to clarify? Truly odd behaviour.
Usually you lot go fully princess which is the norm when you are losing, but whoa nelly, the toys are flying from the cot on this one - even more so then usual. Obviously found the Thorn that is hurting you!

Personally I think he has peaked (and that could be due to his lack of experience). The Reds season is imploding, there is no evolution from last year, the game plans are poor, some of the substitutions are puzzling and you can't compete with the Kiwi team's That all on Thorn. As head coach he is accountable.
Ironically, this is probably the most ‘toys out the cot’ comment in the whole thread…

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I actually don't think you need to waste your time. This is more akin to Kenny Rodgers "Gambler" than trying to look for who else to drag in to the issues.

Post Super Rugby success, it was reported that Thorn was worried about where next he could take the group, how the further evolve. It was at that point he should of fold'em because it sounded like he already knew that he might have hit his coaching ceiling with this group. Add in a few injuries that forced changes and the recipe is just not quite right and the cake has flopped. Sadly I think its what we have got.
Where was it reported? Not in the article you’ve quoted. Where else?

That contradicts everything I recall reading about the thoughts and comments from Thorn and the player group post season and in this pre-season. They were very aware that they underperformed in Super TT.

It is fair enough that the coaching staff and the squad management development is under some heat at the moment but it really has dragged out a lot of rubbish comments.

Honestly MST you should be better than putting your name to this horseshit.

Last edited:

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Ironically no one called you an idiot, you just misunderstood Ignoto’s post.
He actually did he said don't humor this idiot..well I assume that's what he meant. It's been two tough loses to the canes and chiefs ..where they could have won... And a pretty poor game against the Landers. Just a bit unlucky to now travel to NZ in no form.. Reds will bounce back.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
He actually did he said don't humor this idiot..well I assume that's what he meant. It's been two tough loses to the canes and chiefs ..where they could have won... And a pretty poor game against the Landers. Just a bit unlucky to now travel to NZ in no form.. Reds will bounce back.
A bit to unpack in this word salad. ;)
"Humour this idiot" was a self-reference from the OP, I believe.
I'll avoid the old quip about "assume". :)

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Jim McKay's game plans are fine. The execution hasn't been there from the players. Cordingley probably needs to take some heat for the fact our backup flyhalf is a centre who has played a couple of super games off the bench on the wing.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Jim McKay's game plans are fine. The execution hasn't been there from the players. Cordingley probably needs to take some heat for the fact our backup flyhalf is a centre who has played a couple of super games off the bench on the wing.
Cordingly may need to take some responsibility for the recruitment, but playing off the bench on the wing? That's all Brad.

If it wasn't for Paisami being injured I would have gone

9. Mcdermott 10. Stewart 11. Vunivalu 12. Paisami 13. Flook 14. Campbell 15. Petaia
21. Jeans 22. Creighton 23. Daugunu.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Come on now… the games haven’t been lost at flyhalf. They’ve been lost in the forwards and set piece, the inability to get good field position and build pressure.

Reds are missing 4 props and 2 hookers, shit the two reserve props (Anae and Fa’agase) only joined the team in the past fortnight.

That been said Zander and Fotuaika haven’t improved in 18months, if we’re going to complain about squad management and Coringley, then my issue is with the front-row and Crapper.