• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Don’t take this the wrong way, but I absolutely hate the idea of filling hooker with an international player when you have at least 1 wallaby and 1 future Wallaby left out of the matchday squad in Canberra every week.
Personally, non of the three amigos in the ACT are deserving of the Wallabies spot.

FF (Folau Fainga'a) is hit and miss and you're lucky if he doesn't do something stupid like Latu.
Connal hasn't really consistently performed at a high enough level.
LL is too green, small and gets rag dolled by men at the international level.

It's a good enough set up to allow LL to grow and develop, but I would prefer to keep Mafi and recruit coverage.

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
Personally, non of the three amigos in the ACT are deserving of the Wallabies spot.

FF (Folau Fainga'a) is hit and miss and you're lucky if he doesn't do something stupid like Latu.
Connal hasn't really consistently performed at a high enough level.
LL is too green, small and gets rag dolled by men at the international level.

It's a good enough set up to allow LL to grow and develop, but I would prefer to keep Mafi and recruit coverage.

Interesting situation re the Brumbies hookers. It would be nice for Aus Rugby iif they could settle on 2 so the others can get game time elsewhere.

Connal is my pick to start, who along with Porecki is probably the best at set piece of all the Aussie hookers, just turned 27 so right in his prime, fitness the main concern. He is also signed through til the end of 2023 and a Canberra local.

Folau Fainga'a has mainly been the first choice when fit the last three seasons and has threatened to kick onto the next level but never really got there. Off contract at the end of this year, perhaps a target for the Reds or Rebels for 2023 to put pressure on Mafi and Uelese who both have had injury troubles.

It's hard to see LL going anywhere, ACT born and bred, his brother Ryan is primed to take the starting 9 spot in 2024 from Nic White and has seemingly been happy to play mainly off the bench, the last 2 - 3 years. If I was the Brumbies I'd be trying to convince LL the same approach is the best for his game, giving him 2 years to put on size and hone his craft playing off the pine, before coming in to be the first choice hooker in 2024.

Pollard looks too good a prospect to be a third choice in 2023, another one who should look to head to the Reds or Rebels to get some decent bench time and develop his game.

My ideal situation for Aus Rugby next season
Brumbies 2. McInerney 16. Lonergan
Reds 2. Mafi 16. Pollard
Rebels 2. Fainga'a 16. Uelese
Waratahs 2. Porecki 16. Horton
Force 2. Kaitu'u 16. Winchester

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
In regards to lock it would be great to pick up someone with experience overseas, theres about 100 Aussie lock playing around the world surely we can get one back here.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I thought Nasser was much better tonight. Has some promise. Needs a year in Premier Rugby to learn the craft a bit more.
He definitely got more done around the park. I'd like to see him pack down with Hoopert/Nonggorr or Fotuaika/Nonggorr to get a better gauge of where his scrummaging is at, I feel like Zander is a bit of a weak link right now.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Nasser needs to tuck his shirt in and worry about his own game rather than being a mouthy little prick.

A bit more time in the saddle would be great for him (2020 bubble and 2021 injury) at QPR level.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah - it’s a bit of a concern, and I don’t think Fotuaika gets through the work around the field to compensate if he isn’t killing it in the scrum.

Is Cameron Lillicrap still on these guys? It's been sensational work over the recent seasons, but these guys are no longer total rookies. Should know what is coming and be ready. The opposition certainly take it to them as a plan when Tupou is off, but I'm hoping things push on going forward.

Last edited:

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Thorn’s shopping list for 2023 will be interesting. He has an emphasis on recruiting within QPR.
Do we know who the rumoured hooker leaving is. Please don’t be Mafi.
Faessler would be my only QPR pick otherwise we need to look beyond. The lock status now that LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is gone is very light on. Frost would be my go to.
The prop situation is not ideal depending on Zander and Nonggor’s progression. Still to see George Blake’s development in a QPR this year. All other positions look good.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Did someone really name their kid George Blake? I guess if you're under a certain age, you have no idea who George Blake was or why his name is rhyming slang for snake.

Edit: Bit harsh from me, George is a fine name.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Thorn’s shopping list for 2023 will be interesting. He has an emphasis on recruiting within QPR.
Do we know who the rumoured hooker leaving is. Please don’t be Mafi.
Faessler would be my only QPR pick otherwise we need to look beyond. The lock status now that LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is gone is very light on. Frost would be my go to.
The prop situation is not ideal depending on Zander and Nonggor’s progression. Still to see George Blake’s development in a QPR this year. All other positions look good.
Frost off to japan so cross that one of the list. I think we need a lock academy lol

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Agree RR - some important holes to fill. Some of the props have now been in our system 2-3 years and need to really step up this year. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) leaves big shoes and there is a fair drop from our top 3 to the rest - although Uru is obviously a very handy option, and maybe that’s his spot going forward. Faessler looked quite good on Friday. Hopefully he can build in that.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
How much money does the exit of LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) free up for the Reds?
Enough to buy Nick Frost
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was on 600 - same as his new contract. So I suggest that frees up 300k at the Reds. But a few guys in that 2022 list will need upgrades to keep them - not much, but spread out.