• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Ideally, but I haven't really seen anyone stand out this year. Anyone you think is worth giving a shot?

Ideally they'll be able to take someone on whatever Japan tour it is they're planning to get a bit of a look at them at a higher level.

Zac Sheppard at Easts..
Wilson Blyth at Bond (he maybe already involved with reds)

I rate the 2x options at wests (Sau Vaihu & Angelo Smith) however there’s already 2x wests lock options with reds (Jones + Faifua)

I just wanted to get the qpr >>> Shute shield comment in. Alltho would be receptive to Shute options when no one in qld is available (like BPA a few seasons back)

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Zac Sheppard at Easts..
Wilson Blyth at Bond (he maybe already involved with reds)

I rate the 2x options at wests (Sau Vaihu & Angelo Smith) however there’s already 2x wests lock options with reds (Jones + Faifua)

I just wanted to get the qpr >>> Shute shield comment in. Alltho would be receptive to Shute options when no one in qld is available (like BPA a few seasons back)
I like Sau Vaihu, but I had assumed he was already involved with the Rebels like the rest of his family. Faifua and Wilson Blyth are good prospects, but both look a few years behind Douglas, so picking him (or someone else at that level) up could help us manage their development better, rather than throwing them into too much super rugby too early. I'll have to watch a bit more of Shepherd, I know he got a couple of team of the week nods this year, but the couple of games of his I've seen he didn't stand out.

I do generally like the QPR/QLD focus the squad has, but I think we may have been a bit too locked into it recently. It's always good to be bringing in a bit of outside talent at all levels to keep things fresh.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I'm really hoping for a huge season from Daugunu, I thought he could've been the wallaby incumbent a couple years ago. The man has incredible skills and I love that he's a genuine pilferer. I notice he's only signed on for this year, so I assume unless he returns to form he'll be off.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Watching JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) now will be fascinating. GReat boost for Brothers.

But does he chuck his toys out of the pram and hunt for another contract or fight on to reclaim his spot in the Wallabies?

I was noodling on this whilst making a coffee! You beat me to the punch to post about it.

Based on the comments from Rennie re 'sharpness' earlier in the year and now this dropping, I can't see him wearing gold again.

Considering his age, injury history and fact he has achieved a fair bit with the Reds already i.e. winning a Super Rugby AU title, being named Super Rugby player of the year and also giving away the captaincy, I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to do a runner and head overseas ASAP.

Also on the Brothers chat - Harry Wilson is playing for them this weekend I've heard. I hope he dominates.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeh - geez I wish Lynagh had a bit more 1st grade footy under his belt.

Would be great for JOC (James O'Connor) to start the season and then wind down his minutes as Lynagh earnt his stripes, I'm sure JOC (James O'Connor) wouldn't mind earning his Wallaby pay packet and serving out a bench role at times.

Reckon the Force would give us Stewart back? Or maybe swap JOC (James O'Connor) for Hegarty? Let the Rabbit return to the West where it all started would be a good story, right?...

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The only reason I see for JOC (James O'Connor) to drop WB aspirations is if he is losing the desire for pro rugby generally. We have an unproven Foley on board and the 10 ranks at the WBs are wafer thin. I'd hope JOC (James O'Connor) goes for it.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The only reason I see for JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) to drop WB aspirations is if he is losing the desire for pro rugby generally. We have an unproven Foley on board and the 10 ranks at the WBs are wafer thin. I'd hope JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) goes for it.

He is pretty far down the rung now you've gotta think

You would imagine for RWC next year the following blokes are ahead of him:

Noah
Quade (most people implying he will be back to full flight, I am doubtful)
Hodge

And I'd wager they'll include Foley if he goes well, or possible blood Edmed or Donaldson in the RC and take one of them.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
He is pretty far down the rung now you've gotta think

You would imagine for RWC next year the following blokes are ahead of him:

Noah
Quade (most people implying he will be back to full flight, I am doubtful)
Hodge

And I'd wager they'll include Foley if he goes well, or possible blood Edmed or Donaldson in the RC and take one of them.

Neither Edged nor Donaldson in the squad.
We can hope for Quade but the realists have it as unlikely.

I'd imagine that Foley is dialled in with Lolesio at this point, but it hardly puts a line through JOC (James O'Connor) going forward. So JOC (James O'Connor) has a fight with Foley as I see it. No way I'm calling that a slam dunk for Bernard.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
But does he chuck his toys out of the pram and hunt for another contract or fight on to reclaim his spot in the Wallabies?
Read into this as you will

1660804691713.png

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
QPR folks, is Lynagh starting 10 for someone? If yes, how's he going?

he is a non factor at this stage of his career.

I believe he’s had one start in premier grade - I haven’t watched enough qpr colts to let you know how he is going for UQ colts

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Reds probably need JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) to stay on one more year don't we? But I guess only if his heart is in it and he's on the actual park.
You'd surely be lining up one of the Tah boys? Harrison will be struggling to get back in at 10 after his injury and with the extra experience Donaldson and Edmed are getting. Worth a shot.

Presumably not for next season though.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

QPR folks, is Lynagh starting 10 for someone? If yes, how's he going?
UQ Colts.
Started the last few weeks and starting to hit his straps. Is a definite cut above the rest of colts No10 (and on a par with HMP at Souths IMHO)