• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
We don't have the longevity with the Super Rugby coaches in Australia but long term successful coaches in league (Bellamy, Bennett and Robinson) rotate their assistant coaches regularly. Shows that they aren't afraid to continue to learn and develop ideas.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Possibly a 5/8 option for the future; Taj Annan and Tom Lynagh playing 5/8 against each other in Easts vs UQ Colts 1 GF today

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I thought Sam Wallis looked Super Rugby standard yesterday for UQ in the Grand Final. I understand he's been released by the Rebels.

Not sure if he's looking to stick around Aus or chase some coin, but if he wants to stay local I reckon the Reds should find some dollars for him. He would obviously be a backup to McReight, but at the same time, he seems to play with a bit more physicality in defence. I could see them working in tandem to close out games with Wallis at 6. Obviously hurts the lineout though.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Is he too alike to Wright in that case?

I think they're different enough, Wallis definitely more of an 'on-ball' player. Considering they've lost ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and Tualima this year I think there is enough room to sign someone like Wallis, he really would be viewed more as a traditional 7. I'm not confident Wright is going to return and make an impact unfortunately, just my feeling due to his injuries etc.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I thought Sam Wallis looked Super Rugby standard yesterday for UQ in the Grand Final. I understand he's been released by the Rebels.

Not sure if he's looking to stick around Aus or chase some coin, but if he wants to stay local I reckon the Reds should find some dollars for him. He would obviously be a backup to McReight, but at the same time, he seems to play with a bit more physicality in defence. I could see them working in tandem to close out games with Wallis at 6. Obviously hurts the lineout though.

I thought the exact same thing & posted on the rebels page. He's too good to not be being paid

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Heeno is all but confirmed. Assistant Coach (I think with some oversight on Development perhaps?)

Obviously waiting for QPR to finish but assume, with memberships due on sale soon, we'd want to see some squad and coaching confirmation quickly
I know what Heeno told me directly. So it is not "announced" but very common knowledge around the grounds what he is doing next year.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
How are the academy players selected for the cadet program?

Hope it’s a fair and transparent process.

You'd imagine it would be expressions of interest follow by an interview process similar to other internship type employment.

I doubt all the players involved with the academy have an interest in future careers in Buildcorp or similar.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
QRU Media Release: Queensland Reds sign Phil Blake and Mick Heenan to finalise 2023 coaching staff

The Queensland Reds have locked in their coaching staff for the 2023 Super Rugby Pacific season, signing the experienced Phil Blake as defence coach and University of Queensland head coach Mick Heenan as an assistant coach.

Blake joins the staff at Ballymore after stints with the Wallabies, Western Force and Leicester, while Heenan’s 13-year tenure at UQ has delivered the club six StoreLocal Hospital Cup premierships.

Signed through 2023, the duo will work alongside head coach Brad Thorn and attack coach Jim McKay, with Thorn entering his sixth season in the position and McKay his fifth in what is his second stint at Ballymore after winning the 2011 Super Rugby title in the same role.

Thorn will become Queensland’s equal equal-fourth longest serving coach in history this season, with his tenure the longest in more than two-decades at the Reds.

Blake said: "It is a privilege to have an opportunity to work with an internationally recognised Rugby entity such as the Queensland Reds.

“I am looking forward to again working with Brad Thorn, and very excited to be joining an impressive backroom staff.”

Heenan said: “I am excited by the opportunity to work with Brad and his coaching team, and with a very talented group of players, many of whom I know well.

“I have had nearly 25-years of coaching experience and many years managing teams in corporate environments and hope to bring a fresh perspective, both on and off-field, and contribute to the success of the Reds in 2023 and beyond.

“I can’t wait to get started.”

General Manager – Professional Rugby Sam Cordingley said: “We are really pleased to welcome Mick and Phil to the Queensland Reds.

“Both are great Rugby men who will bring a vast amount of coaching experience to our program.

“Mick has certainly earned his opportunity with his history of success in Queensland Premier Rugby and Phil is a passionate defence coach who has considerable experience across both the amateur and professional games.”

Blake brings over a decade of top line experience to Ballymore, having held roles in the Shute Shield, Super Rugby and English Premiership, as well as on the international stage.

The 58-year-old started his coaching career in Sydney with Southern Districts and Manly, before he was appointed defence and skills coach with the Wallabies under Robbie Deans in 2010.

Defence coach roles with the Western Force, Leicester and London Wasps followed, before Blake returned home to coach Sydney University in 2021, taking the side to the top of the ladder before the competition was abandoned due to COVID.

Blake became head coach of Manly in 2022 and led the Marlins to third-place, the club’s best finish since 2017.

Like Thorn, Blake also boasts an accomplished rugby league career, having played more than 300 games at the highest level for a number of clubs and featuring in State of Origin for New South Wales.

Working alongside him will be Heenan, who will be responsible for coordinating the Reds coaching program, maximising the development of non-matchday-23 players and emphasising off-ball effort areas and attack breakdown.

The 48-year-old has established himself as arguably the most successful coach in Hospital Cup history.

Heenan took over as head coach of UQ in 2009, with the club falling to second-last the year previous whilst they endured an 18-year premiership drought.

In the 13 seasons since, he has led the club to the finals every year, winning six premierships and playing in nine Grand Finals, including last Sunday’s decider at Suncorp Stadium.

Heenan coached Brisbane City in the 2017 and 2018 National Rugby Championship (NRC), going head-to-head with Thorn who coached Queensland Country, and also spent six years with GPS before taking the top job at St Lucia.

Queensland Reds 2023 coaching staff

Brad Thorn – Head Coach
Jim McKay – Assistant Coach (attack)
Phil Blake – Assistant Coach (defence)
Mick Heenan – Assistant Coach

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Reading between the lines (as we love to do on these forums) - it seems to me like Heenan has been brought in as the ‘players coach’. Helping the players identify areas of the game where they can improve specific skills or add extra efforts.

Makes sense, if Thorn’s big daddy approach is wearing thin on a few of them, having a more nuanced coach who is a good people person should hopefully tie everyone back together.