• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
And Vunivalu. Would be nice

I posted this in Wallabies thread - I think Vunivalu needs to organise a release and take up the Dolphins contract with uncle Wayne that is no doubt waiting for him.

He specifically extended his contract to make a push for RWC selection. Regardless of his potential, Rennie clearly has at least 5 blokes in front of him. And rightfully so, Vunivalu got ample opportunity in the A series and didn’t look like a player who could crack the Wallabies.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I posted this in Wallabies thread - I think Vunivalu needs to organise a release and take up the Dolphins contract with uncle Wayne that is no doubt waiting for him.

He specifically extended his contract to make a push for RWC selection. Regardless of his potential, Rennie clearly has at least 5 blokes in front of him. And rightfully so, Vunivalu got ample opportunity in the A series and didn’t look like a player who could crack the Wallabies.

Depends if he’s enjoying his Rugby he should stay.

injuries and improvement in form will put him right back into the RWC frame

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
So can we assume our Japan squad for the tour will be;

1. Richie Asiata
2. Matt Faessler
3. Sef Fa'agase
4. Angus Blyth
5. Ryan Smith
6. Seru Uru
7. Connor Anderson
8. Harry Wilson
9. Kalani Thomas
10. Lawson Creighton
11. Suliasi Vunivalu
12. Isaac Henry
13. Josh Flook
14. Filipo Daugunu
15. Mac Grealy
RESERVES
16. George Blake
17. Dane Zander
18. Zane Nongoor
19. Wilson Blyth
20. Keynan Tauakipulu
21. Spencer Jeans
22. Tom Lynagh
23. Floyd Aubrey

24. Sam Wallis
25. Phrancis Sula-Siaosi
26. Joey Fittock

Wilson

David Codey (61)

1. Richie Asiata
2. Matt Faessler
3. Sef Fa'agase
4. Angus Blyth
5. Ryan Smith
6. Seru Uru
7. Connor Anderson
8. Harry Wilson
9. Kalani Thomas
10. Lawson Creighton
11. Suliasi Vunivalu
12. Isaac Henry
13. Josh Flook
14. Filipo Daugunu
15. Mac Grealy
RESERVES
16. George Blake
17. Dane Zander
18. Zane Nongoor
19. Wilson Blyth
20. Keynan Tauakipulu
21. Spencer Jeans
22. Tom Lynagh
23. Floyd Aubrey

24. Sam Wallis
25. Phrancis Sula-Siaosi
26. Joey Fittock
I think that's pretty much bang on, unless they're really keen to look at one or two other non-contracted guys and rest a couple of Reds players as a result. Less candidates for that with Dobbins getting injured on the weekend though.

Does anyone now if it's the standard 23 v 23 for this game, or will they be using extended squads like they do for trials?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

1. Richie Asiata
2. Matt Faessler
3. Sef Fa'agase
4. Angus Blyth
5. Ryan Smith
6. Seru Uru
7. Connor Anderson
8. Harry Wilson
9. Kalani Thomas
10. Lawson Creighton
11. Suliasi Vunivalu
12. Isaac Henry
13. Josh Flook
14. Filipo Daugunu
15. Mac Grealy
RESERVES
16. George Blake
17. Dane Zander
18. Zane Nongoor
19. Wilson Blyth
20. Keynan Tauakipulu
21. Spencer Jeans
22. Tom Lynagh
23. Floyd Aubrey

24. Sam Wallis
25. Phrancis Sula-Siaosi
26. Joey Fittock

yep - I think that's bang on. Unless Luke Jones is hear training or Liam Wright is fit. Neither likely I assume.

Gee Wilson Blyth impressed me this series. I have been underwhelmed by him at club level but thought it stood up well.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think that's pretty much bang on, unless they're really keen to look at one or two other non-contracted guys and rest a couple of Reds players as a result. Less candidates for that with Dobbins getting injured on the weekend though.

Does anyone now if it's the standard 23 v 23 for this game, or will they be using extended squads like they do for trials?

they are capped games so I would suggest 23 v 23

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Wests supporters were $1.10 to advocate him staying in rugby.

I think the Doggies will be seeing a lot of him in 2023.

I think people are quick to jump to conclusions about rugby league players wanting to leave union to go back to league.

the history shows most end up staying in rugby… so I’m just a little perplexed why Vunivalu would go to the dolphins… I think there’s a better chance Vunivalu ask for a release from his RA contract and goes chasing rugby union dollars abroad.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I think people are quick to jump to conclusions about rugby league players wanting to leave union to go back to league.

the history shows most end up staying in rugby… so I’m just a little perplexed why Vunivalu would go to the dolphins… I think there’s a better chance Vunivalu ask for a release from his Rugby Australia contract and goes chasing rugby union dollars abroad.

Fair enough - I just think with the specific circumstances around Vunivalu, he would be more likely to join the Dolphins:

- Same geographic location as his current team
- Money to spend
- Their recruitment failings have meant they lack 'star power'. He would have more sway in the negotiations, and I think signing a guaranteed longer-term deal would be in his best interests due to the hamstring issues he has. NRL teams have historically been happy to sign players to multi year contracts.

For what it's worth, I have been one of his advocates since he was signed. I watch a fair bit of NRL and know what he is capable of. But the longer I see him on the field in rugby, the more I'm wondering if he's one of those players who really thrived in the specific Storm setup and may not have the skillset we all hoped for.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Depends if he’s enjoying his Rugby he should stay.

injuries and improvement in form will put him right back into the RWC frame
I struggle to put him in the Reds team for next year.

This is in no way attacking him as a player, but I would prefer Campbell, Petaia and Daugunu as my back 3.

I then struggle with picking him on the bench because if his lack of versatility.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Yeh I struggle to see him in my best 23 at the moment.

Daugunu
Petaia
Aubrey
Grealy
Flook (preference at 13)
Campbell (preference at 15)

Are all contracted players I would have ahead of him. And Joey Fittock looks the goods, I'd have him there as well. I'd also be looking at Matt Garland from Easts as 13/winger cover, but he wasn't selected for any of the Challenger stuff so they mustn't be keen.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Whilst Aubrey is a talent, I wouldn’t have him above Vunivalu for wing. Doubtful I’d have Daugunu above either, he seems to have lost a yard of speed and the explosiveness that was the hallmark of his game.

i do like Fittock and Navosailagi though.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Call me crazy but if Fraser McReight saw extended time injured our best pilfering option would be Filipo Daugunu…. Certainly not advocating for him to play in the forwards but he does bring other things not seen from a modern day winger.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Call me crazy but if Fraser McReight saw extended time injured our best pilfering option would be Filipo Daugunu…. Certainly not advocating for him to play in the forwards but he does bring other things not seen from a modern day winger.

Valid (in terms of Daugunu's pilfering abilities) but people forget how good Liam Wright was before injury.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
My backline would be:

15 Campbell
14 Petaia
13 Flook
12 Paisami
11 Vunivalu
10 JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor)
9 Tate
That's probably what I'd go with too, but I wonder if they're going to look at moving away from O'Connor for place kicking this year maybe looking to Henry instead. O'Connor didn't have the best year from the tee last year and I can't imagine another ankle injury is going to help that.

Probably worth noting that Lynagh's place kicking is and has been excellent, which probably helps his chances of getting time next year.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
That's probably what I'd go with too, but I wonder if they're going to look at moving away from O'Connor for place kicking this year maybe looking to Henry instead. O'Connor didn't have the best year from the tee last year and I can't imagine another ankle injury is going to help that.

Probably worth noting that Lynagh's place kicking is and has been excellent, which probably helps his chances of getting time next year.
Good callout, but I wonder if Henry's kicking load will be managed a bit for a while with his series of lower-limb injuries. I don't think he did any of the place kicking in his games for Wests and Aus A.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
It'll be interesting to see how they play things with O'Connor (only signed for 2023) and Creighton/Lynagh for playing time next season.

Based on what Lynagh has showed, I think he'll get some time at 10 next year, at what stage I'm not sure.