• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
A lot of articles and general commentary around Jock Campbell at the moment. I think it's great he's been given a shot. But some of the stuff I'm reading is implying Rennie has picked this bloke out of the woods at 27yr old.

Now I don't want to take anything away from Jock but wasn't he playing 1st grade as a Colt? Or at least straight out of Colts. He was picked for the NRC when he was 21 and signed to a Reds contract at 22. He might not have been good enough for academies during school, but he's definitely been on a professional radar for a long time.

My point that Jock is the product of hard work in professional environments over several years, waiting for his opportunity. Not some bush footy kid who's suddenly good enough for the Wallabies. Seems like Rennie is being given credit for some 'masterstroke' selection.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
A lot of articles and general commentary around Jock Campbell at the moment. I think it's great he's been given a shot. But some of the stuff I'm reading is implying Rennie has picked this bloke out of the woods at 27yr old.

Now I don't want to take anything away from Jock but wasn't he playing 1st grade as a Colt? Or at least straight out of Colts. He was picked for the NRC when he was 21 and signed to a Reds contract at 22. He might not have been good enough for academies during school, but he's definitely been on a professional radar for a long time.

My point that Jock is the product of hard work in professional environments over several years, waiting for his opportunity. Not some bush footy kid who's suddenly good enough for the Wallabies. Seems like Rennie is being given credit for some 'masterstroke' selection.
Don't think anyone's crediting Rennie for a masterstroke, more crediting Jock for toiling away and getting rewarded fairly.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Don't think anyone's crediting Rennie for a masterstroke, more crediting Jock for toiling away and getting rewarded fairly.

I've seen opinions based around both, not just journos, but all the woodwork fans who wait until we have a win to make their thoughts known across the media and socials.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That just demonstrates their ignorance of the game Phil.

He (Rennie) might get the accolades for someone like Gleeson, but as you say, Jock has been known for quite a few years.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
For a casual (non-Reds) supporter, who doesn't follow the game and players to the same extent as many here, it would could be their first time paying proper attention to Campbell. I can understand it from that perspective, as with any other player on debut. It's also probably not helped by the fact that he looks bloody young for 27. Anyone confirmed his skincare routine yet?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Before anyone asks

DD9CF79E-EBA0-4037-A2DB-97F154BADC2D.jpeg

Last edited:

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Jersey worn by Kalani is for the Reds Japan tour, not 2023.. Which I'm ok with

View attachment 14854

I quite like Canterbury, it's my favourite rugby brand. It looks like they wanna come back to rugby. They lost too much territory at international level and in Rugby League, so they are looking rugby teams. For some reason ISC rushed to sign the Tahs for 5 years

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I quite like Canterbury, it's my favourite rugby brand. It looks like they wanna come back to rugby. They lost too much territory at international level and in Rugby League, so they are looking rugby teams. For some reason ISC rushed to sign the Tahs for 5 years
Yep Marce, though it was always funny to me when Reds played Crusaders and were sponsored by Canterbury, back in the day it was Canterbury Crusaders too, just sounded funny at Ballymore when the announcer used to sat Qld Reds sposored by Canterbury international playing Canterbury Crusaders. They more or less started backing off rugby a bit I think when Adidas paid such big money to get ABs. Quite funny too as both companies were actually run out of same factory and offices in Christchurch when I was involved with a company that supplied them years back.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Yep Marce, though it was always funny to me when Reds played Crusaders and were sponsored by Canterbury, back in the day it was Canterbury Crusaders too, just sounded funny at Ballymore when the announcer used to sat Qld Reds sposored by Canterbury international playing Canterbury Crusaders. They more or less started backing off rugby a bit I think when Adidas paid such big money to get ABs. Quite funny too as both companies were actually run out of same factory and offices in Christchurch when I was involved with a company that supplied them years back.

It's more funny at international Rugby League. The Kangaroos playing against the Kiwis with three Kiwis on the chest lol. And the Kiwis playing with an Aussie brand (BLK)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
awesome. A bit of double up with outside backs on the bench. Did Tommy Lynagh get a run in the first game?

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
I noticed last night they are sponsoring the Black Caps in the T20 World Cup, so it looks like they are going back to their roots, which is great. I still have a Canterbury USSR tour jersey from back in the day and it's not lost its shape and is only slightly faded. It is a constant battle to stop my kids stealing it.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I know there are algorithms for how all the big brands market these days, but I am seeing a lot more ads for 'classic' looking Canterbury casual wear and gym wear.

For those north side Brisbanites, I still remember the awesome Canterbury shop that was at the bottom floor near the escalator at Indooroopilly shopping centre. The advertisements are giving me some real nostalgia!

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I know there are algorithms for how all the big brands market these days, but I am seeing a lot more ads for 'classic' looking Canterbury casual wear and gym wear.

For those north side Brisbanites, I still remember the awesome Canterbury shop that was at the bottom floor near the escalator at Indooroopilly shopping centre. The advertisements are giving me some real nostalgia!
The algo's definitely working - I'm noticing it too. Looking at their new releases, it seems to be they're moving back towards their 'classic' styles, particularly Uglies, after a foray into a more contemporary streetwear look. They had a 25% off sale last week, so I picked up an Uglies t-shirt. Arrived yesterday and the quality seems solid.

Very excited to see what they do with the Reds' gear - the Japan tour trial strip and basic training kit look great.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
hearing increasing in Campbell's ability to cover inside back positions (10 and 12) for both Reds and Wallabies...
That was the intent last pre-season that he was going to get extra game time at 10, i cant remember what happened, injury to other players which prevented that from happening. Isaac Henry as the starting 12 was the other rumour last pre-season, an injury stopped that also.

Reactions: dru

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)

I still remember being shocked around realising that Indooroopilly is "north side"

I mean I know it's across the river (I lived in Tennyson) but it never clicked.....

Reactions: dru