• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I believe they have in the past, but given it's the sort of thing that is generally a component of the salary cap its probably irrelevant (in the sense that it wouldn't be necessary), my understanding is that the cap is not enforced at all at the moment.

During COVID RUPA/RA renegotiated the EBA which gave a lot more flexibility to contracting, it included greater ability to contract for part-time & short term player contracts outside of the core squad well beyond what they had done in the past. This includes injury cover and contingency for covid etc.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
That's interesting. Is it something formal or just a nod and a wink?
I don't know the specifics but my understanding is it's come about post covid and is in part a consequence of competition changes and the EBA changes Adam mentions above. It's something RA are working to get back up and in place properly, but it's very dependant on the whole of competition negotiations they're having with NZ.

Reactions: dru

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
If you look at the first page and the squad, with these 2 signings that’s up to 36 without knowing if Aubrey and Tauakipulu are signed. I’d say we’ll get the announcement soon. We will however require another prop or 2 even with the signing of Sula-Siaosi with Tupou and Hoopert being out for the season.
Bring back the Smiths!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Squad announced.

Queensland Reds 2023 Squad (in alphabetical order)

Connor Anderson – Wests – Brisbane State High School – Everton Park Roosters
Richie Asiata – Easts – Anglican Church Grammar School
Floyd Aubrey – GPS – Marist College Ashgrove
George Blake – Bond University – The Southport School – Fasi Maufanga Eels, Tonga
Angus Blyth – Bond University – The Southport School – Casuarina Beach Rugby Club
Wilson Blyth – Bond University – The Southport School – Casuarina Beach Rugby Club
Jock Campbell – University of Queensland – The Southport School – Inverell Highlanders
Lawson Creighton – Brothers – Padua College
Filipo Daugunu – Wests – Dogotuki District School, Fjii
Sef Fa’agase – Sunnybank – Shailer Park State High School – Beaudesert Warriors
Matt Faessler – Brothers – Toowoomba Grammar School – USQ Saints
Lopeti Faifua – Wests – Saint Kentigern College, Auckland
Josh Flook – Brothers – St Joseph’s Nudgee College – Brothers
Mac Grealy – University of Queensland – Downlands College – Souths Toowoomba
Isaac Henry – Wests – Brisbane Boys College – Kenmore Bears
Harry Hoopert – Brothers – Toowoomba Grammar School – Dalby Wheatmen
Spencer Jeans – Bond University – The Southport School – Gold Coast Eagles
Luke Jones – Wests – St Pius X College – St Ives Rugby Club
Tom Lynagh – University of Queensland – Epsom College – Richmond Rugby Club
Tate McDermott – University of Queensland – Sunshine Coast Grammar School – Flinders Rugby Club
Fraser McReight – Brothers – Brisbane Grammar School – Albany Creek Brumbies
Josh Nasser – University of Queensland – St Joseph’s Gregory Terrace – Easts
Zane Nonggorr – Bond University – The Southport School – Gold Coast Eagles
James O’Connor – Brothers – St Joseph’s Nudgee College – Brothers
Hunter Paisami – Wests – Mangere College, Auckland – Otahuhu Rugby Club
Jordan Petaia – Wests – Brisbane State High School
Ryan Smith – Brothers – St Patrick’s College Shorncliffe – Caboolture Snakes
Phransis Sula-Siaosi – Souths – St Joseph’s Nudgee College
Keynan Tauakipulu – Wests – Saint Kentigern College, Auckland – Kenmore Bears
Kalani Thomas – University of Queensland – Ipswich Grammar School – Souths
Taniela Tupou – Brothers – Tonga College Atele – Kalapu Hufangalupe, Tonga
Seru Uru – Wests – Ratu Kadavulevu School, Fiji – Namoli Rugby Club, Fiji
Connor Vest – University of Queensland – Grafton High School – Grafton Junior Rugby Club
Suliasi Vunivalu – Wests – Saint Kentigern College, Auckland
Harry Wilson – Brothers – St Joseph’s College Gregory Terrace – Gunnedah Red Devils
Liam Wright – Easts – Anglican Church Grammar School – Easts
Dane Zander – University of Queensland – St Joseph’s Nudgee College – Albany Creek Brumbies

*Players’ senior club, high school and junior club are listed.

Queensland Reds 2023 Coaching Staff

Brad Thorn – Head Coach
Jim McKay – Assistant Coach
Phil Blake – Assistant Coach
Mick Heenan – Assistant Coach
Kane Hames – Assistant Coach

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Interesting addition to the coaching team with Kane Hames on board. Can’t see a lot of experience coaching but assume he will cover Crapper’s scrum work.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
From the article:

The squad is Queensland’s most experienced in five-years with the roster boasting 1067 Super Rugby caps.

Up to 13 players will potentially have played 50 games for Queensland by the end of 2023 – the most since 2015.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Thoughts on the squad? Seems quite underwhelming to me. I was hoping for a couple more "bigger names"
I'm not too unhappy with it, aside from the injuries at prop it's pretty solid across the board with pretty good continuity. Some bigger ins would have been nice but I wasn't really expecting them at this late stage.

Still think we might be short a prop given the injuries to Tupou and Hoopert though.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
How does the QPR and Super Rugby start dates align in 2023? They might be waiting to see who’s putting in the work during early rounds of QPR before committing to extra prop signings.