• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Aren't they treated the same as normal contracts these days? Hence why there was some issues with Sua'ali'i jumping between Rabbits and Roosters and then considering rugby.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Surely there would be capacity issues.

Edit - google says:

Contracts which give the minor continuing legal obligations

These contracts are binding unless the minor chooses to opt out of the contract before, or reasonably soon after, they turn 18. Examples of these types of contracts are contracts of business partnership, or contracts to lease land. If the minor avoids the contract, they are only responsible for the obligations which have already arisen, not for any future ones. They cannot avoid past obligations or get back money they have paid out in respect of these. However, the minor may be able to get a court order for the return of their property, previously transferred under the contract, on fair terms.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I haven't seen the kid play but it looks like he has a pretty stellar record so we'd be silly not to talk to him. Not sure we could necessarily offer him a lot, though if he is a good fit for the 7s program than that might be an effective pathway for him, similar to the deal Toole signed with the brumbies/7s.

He was linked to the Dolphin's a month ago, so this could all be a play to try and get a release to end up there, but it may also be that NRL rules mean other NRL sides are out of the picture in which case we have a much better chance of signing him.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I haven't seen the kid play but it looks like he has a pretty stellar record so we'd be silly not to talk to him. Not sure we could necessarily offer him a lot, though if he is a good fit for the 7s program than that might be an effective pathway for him, similar to the deal Toole signed with the brumbies/7s.

He was linked to the Dolphin's a month ago, so this could all be a play to try and get a release to end up there, but it may also be that NRL rules mean other NRL sides are out of the picture in which case we have a much better chance of signing him.
Yeh a Dolphins play seems likely - the only reason other NRL teams would be out of the picture is if it's specifically agreed as part of the release.

Look at what happened with Matt Lodge earlier this year, got released by the Warriors and paid his full salary, played 1 game of QPR reserve grade and then ended up signing with the Roosters.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Never understood how contracting minors works. Are they basically just MOUs?

I mean, its no real different than a 15 year old working a McDonalds, still a contract. Just the minor is able to pretty much walk away.

Where it will be interesting is, whether his parents have had to go gurantors or anything for any breaches, which I'd imagine would be silly for them to do.

But, I could be well over, its been like 15 years since I read an employment law textbook.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Dispersal of talent. Hes simply playing at a 'lower level'.

Not to say that those leagues arent as good, or if we are being honest, better than Super Rugby. Its just that their talent is spread across more teams meaning a test player will stand out more.
Do you actually watch UK rugby? Is it like premier grade?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Really torn on Vunivalu and where he stands now after watching all the pre-season stuff. I had written him off but I’m not so sure anymore.

He shows some absolute gems of skill, easily beating defenders, good offloads and quick feet. But then seems to lose interest. And his defensive alignment and technique is flat out poor.

It’s a shame he’s not 19, he’s got all the makings of a great ‘project player’ but unfortunately he’s come with a stacked resume and already has an RA top up contract which means he needs to be performing at a higher level.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Part of the reason is that he's stuck out on the wing. If he played closer to the action, even with his limited games, I'm sure we would have made a better judgement by now. But he hasn't really seen enough ball to have a strong opinion either way.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
This is going to sound stupid, but do you think he could be similar to Reiko in the Centres? Hard to compare him to a current AB Centre but he was primarily a Winger and still shows moments where he reads it wrong, but the positives far outweigh the negatives with his play.

He's a big guy who can get on your outside, faster than most others on the field and can offload. I think of Reiko because I don't think he's as direct a runner as Tevita Kuridrani once was.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
This is going to sound stupid, but do you think he could be similar to Reiko in the Centres? Hard to compare him to a current AB Centre but he was primarily a Winger and still shows moments where he reads it wrong, but the positives far outweigh the negatives with his play.

He's a big guy who can get on your outside, faster than most others on the field and can offload. I think of Reiko because I don't think he's as direct a runner as Tevita Kuridrani once was.
Put the worst defender in the hardest channel to defend?

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Not only is his D a liability, but I worry we'd fall into the trap of playing Kerevi-ball again with an elusive centre who doesn't have a strong offload game. Plus, we've already got a number of solid centres battling it out for a spot in the 23.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
we just need to get better at making space for our wingers. It's criminal how little space Daugunu get's anymore. I feel its a lost art. Yes some of it wingers going looking for action, but I don't want them taking one off hit ups in tight. I want them getting in space a little wider. That's what an attack coach should be doing

Wilson

David Codey (61)
we just need to get better at making space for our wingers. It's criminal how little space Daugunu get's anymore. I feel its a lost art. Yes some of it wingers going looking for action, but I don't want them taking one off hit ups in tight. I want them getting in space a little wider. That's what an attack coach should be doing
At times we've started to use our attacking kicks to great effect for Vunivalu, Flook, and Petaia, but I think our inconsistencies at 10 meant we still never fully realised them. Hopefully we get a really solid, injury free run for the backline for the start of the season this year.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Sounds like Tupou did his Achilles against Ireland, pretty sure we're going to need another tighthead, particularly given the wallabies will want him in cotton wool. Does Van Nek get the call up?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Paisami did not look too good either.

I notice he went straight into a brace rather than ice, this seems different to what normally happens.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Paisami did not look too good either.

I notice he went straight into a brace rather than ice, this seems different to what normally happens.
Yeah, he did get strapped and play on a little while after the initial incident though, so hopefully he can be right by the start of the season. At least we have solid cover in the centres with Henry, Flook, Petaia and Annan.

As it stands we only have 3 props who'll be fit for the start of the season (though 2 hookers who cover loosehead). So I expect we'll see Sula-Siaosi signed, but we still need that tight head cover.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Sounds like Tupou did his Achilles against Ireland, pretty sure we're going to need another tighthead, particularly given the wallabies will want him in cotton wool. Does Van Nek get the call up?
Definitely get Van Nek, I was disappointed the Rebels didn't use him.