• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You’ve confirmed it? Thanks.
Former Wallabies lock Luke Jones will be joining the Queensland Reds on a three-year deal next year and it may be perfect timing, given the current injury crisis in the Australian lock stable. Rugby Australia have contributed to the Jones deal and given Izack Rodda is out for several months, Jones could be a handy man in reserve for Dave Rennie to call upon.
The Rennie call up is laughable though

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Why?

he’s been part of the national team previously. Lot of locks are injured.
He had a great Super Rugby season the year he returned to push for a World Cup spot. Took the opportunity to return on a minimum contract, but once didn’t get a look in left to take up a nice $$ offer in France.

Largely went unnoticed that season because he was playing in Melb instead of NSW, QLD.

From memory lead the comp in lineout steals.

Such a good signing for the Reds.

The Reds pack next year won’t get out worked by many.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
It's the lineout intelligence along with the general experience that gets me excited. Really bringing strength in areas we are lacking.

Reactions: dru

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Japan. He’s touring to Argentina because Kerevi isn’t going (CW games)
Not sure I'd call that returning, he's still an overseas selection and there will be decisions to be made for the rest of the Rugby Championship. Either way Rodda and Neville are out for some time, it's not unreasonable to think Jones might be on the radar given the man he's replacing (Salakaia-Loto) was called into the squad as emergency cover.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yes but Swain is back now. That's Phillip, Swain, Frost, Arnold (who will 100% play against SA and NZ IMO, we need his grunt. (Quade/Kerevi/Marika less important) and Holloway if fit all ahead of him. I can't see it.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yes but Swain is back now. That's Phillip, Swain, Frost, Arnold (who will 100% play against SA and NZ IMO, we need his grunt. (Quade/Kerevi/Marika less important) and Holloway if fit all ahead of him. I can't see it.
You can't see another injury or two to a lock at some point during the rugby championship?

To be clear I don't think it's too likely, though they may be keen to bring him for training to see where he's at, I really don't see how it's a laughable idea with the injury run we're having.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You'd hope we're over it. I watched a few of his games in France and he wasn't great. Poor hands which has always been his issue. No denying a Top 14 experience is good for a lock however. Staniforth would actually be a nice selection if he came back. He's been awesome for Castres.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
D5D550DF-5409-4837-9E42-0B449159C38C.jpeg

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Van Nek would be a great get, I really rate him.

I do wonder if Zander running out at THP for UQ tomorrow is coming from the Reds seeing Fotuaika as gone and looking at their options.
Zander has a very long way to go, watched the game last night and he was monstered. Unsure if UQ usually struggles in the scrum so it may not be all his fault but he did not stand out as being a THP prospect.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Zander has a very long way to go, watched the game last night and he was monstered. Unsure if UQ usually struggles in the scrum so it may not be all his fault but he did not stand out as being a THP prospect.
was a lot different when George Francis was replaced.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
George Francis is a player I'd love to see take the step up, but it just doesn't look likely does it? Heaps of potential but the way he's bounced around clubs and professional programs the last few years you just get the feeling it's never going to happen. Could be an absolute weapon if he got serious though.