• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Challenger series squads announced:

Queensland President’s XV Squad​

Forwards​

• Alex Smit – Easts – Far North Queensland
  • Connor Pritchard – Bond University – Gold Coast
  • Ethan Dobbins – Wests
  • Jake Upfield – Bond University – Gold Coast
  • Jonte Connolly – Brothers – Caboolture
  • JP Tominiko – Easts – Gold Coast
  • Latu Talakai – Wests
  • Levi Samuela – Bond University – Gold Coast
  • Maile Ngauamo – GPS
  • Michael Richards – GPS
  • Pat Morrey – University of Queensland – Far North Queensland
  • Rhys Sheriff – Bond University – Gold Coast
  • Zac Shepherd – Easts

Backs​

• Ben Navosailagi – Wests
  • Brad Twidale – University of Queensland – Darling Downs
  • Dan Boardman – Bond University – Gold Coast
  • Eli Pilz – Easts – Sunshine Coast
  • Jordan Carriera – Easts
  • Kye Oates – University of Queensland – Darling Downs
  • Louis Werchon – Brothers – Sunshine Coast
  • Meli Dreu – Easts
  • Sam Hyne – Brothers
  • Tayler Adams – Brothers
  • Tom Lucas – Sunnybank – Central Queensland
  • Tyler Campbell – Bond University – Gold Coast
  • Queensland Reds Development Squad

Queensland Reds Development XV Squad​

Forwards​

• Angus Blyth – Bond University – Gold Coast
  • Connor Anderson – Wests
  • Conor Mitchell – University of Queensland – Sunshine Coast
  • Dane Zander – University of Queensland
  • George Blake – Bond University – Gold Coast
  • Keynan Tauakipulu – Wests
  • Matt Faessler – Brothers – Darling Downs
  • Phransis Sula-Siaosi – Souths – Gold Coast
  • Sam Wallis – University of Queensland
  • Sef Fa’agase – University of Queensland – Beaudesert
  • Taine Riori – Easts
  • Wilson Blyth – Bond University – Gold Coast
  • Zane Nonggorr – Bond University – Gold Coast

Backs​

• Conor Chittenden – Norths
  • Cooper Whiteside – Wests
  • Joey Fittock – Bond University – Gold Coast
  • Josh Flook – Brothers
  • Kalani Thomas – University of Queensland
  • Lawson Creighton – Brothers
  • Mac Grealy – University of Queensland – Darling Downs
  • Matt Smit – Easts – Far North Queensland
  • Paddy James – Brothers
  • Spencer Jeans – Bond University – Gold Coast
  • Tom Lynagh – University of Queensland

Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Looks like it will also be played with a few law variations in place:

Queensland Rugby Challenger Series Law Innovations​

Time compliance​

• Five-second ruck (strict compliance from use it call)
  • 30-second scrum call from when mark is set
  • Penalty kicks (60-seconds)/conversions (90-seconds)
  • Lineouts 30-seconds from when mark is set
  • 30-seconds to restart after conversion
    • Infringement against non-compliant team will result in a tap only option Eg. No scrum option

Set Piece​

Scrum:​

• 1st collapse – re-set if no clear sanction
  • 2nd collapse - if no clear sanction, free kick to feeding team (tap only)
  • Defending scrumhalf can’t go beyond midline of scrum (tap only)

Lineout:​

• Only contested throws to lineout can be adjudicated as not straight
  • Only players within the lineout formation can join a maul formed at a lineout (penalty kick)

Tackle area​

• Focus on tackler not rolling, must make effort to roll immediately towards sideline

Deliberate knock down​

• To be refereed as either a ‘deliberate attempt to catch’, or a ‘deliberate attempt to knock down’ which will result in a penalty kick only

Advantage Law​

• Three phases and then advantage over (territorial and tactical advantage consideration remains at referees’ discretion)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah I thought he was going to be named, but perhaps injury got in the way????

Anyway my, probably Wests-biased, teams.

QLD Presidents XV

15 Adams
14 Navosailagi
13 Boardman
12 Campbell
11 Oates
10 Twidale
9 Pilz
8 Richards
7 Pritchard
6 Connolly
5 Upfield
4 Morrey
3 Sherriff
2 Dobbins
1 Samuela

16 Ngayamo
17 Tominiko
18 Talakai
19 Shepherd
20 Smit
21 Werchon
22 Lucas
23 Dreu

QLD Reds Development Team

15 Whiteside
14 Fittock
13 Flook
12 Creighton
11 Grealy
10 Lynagh
9 Thomas
8 Mitchell
7 Anderson
6 Tauakipulu
5 Blyth
4 Blyth
3 Nonggorr
2 Faessler
1 Zander

16 Blake
17 Fa'agase
18 Sula-Siaosi
19 Riori
20 Wallis
21 Jeans
22 Smit
23 Chittenden

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
interestingly I had heard one of the wests boys listed from those teams had picked up a super rugby contract (with a franchise not named the reds or rebels)

I didn’t say that gentlemen’s name because I was waiting on the official announcement… I’m kind of glad I didn’t open my big mouth about it as this initiative might be keeping Queensland talent in qld…. Why would you relocate when you can potentially pick up a gig locally?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Great to see Flook named, had though his injury would keep him out for months longer.

Also keen to see what that Bond centre pairing can do, thought they did very well this year in QPR.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
interestingly I had heard one of the wests boys listed from those teams had picked up a super rugby contract (with a franchise not named the reds or rebels)

I didn’t say that gentlemen’s name because I was waiting on the official announcement… I’m kind of glad I didn’t open my big mouth about it as this initiative might be keeping Queensland talent in qld…. Why would you relocate when you can potentially pick up a gig locally?
Completely depends on the $$$

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
These variations look bloody fantastic

Some of them look good

The tackle area one seems redundant - player must roll away immediately, isn't that the current rule anyway?

I like the lineout stuff, especially the maul joining rule.

Not sure about the advantage law change - three phases isn't much. I do think there is room for improvement, it seems like any penalty advantage incurred within an opposition 22 these days is pretty much play advantage unless a try is scored, which is wrong.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Some of them look good

The tackle area one seems redundant - player must roll away immediately, isn't that the current rule anyway?

I like the lineout stuff, especially the maul joining rule.

Not sure about the advantage law change - three phases isn't much. I do think there is room for improvement, it seems like any penalty advantage incurred within an opposition 22 these days is pretty much play advantage unless a try is scored, which is wrong.
The 'must roll towards the sideline' is a change, isn't it? I assume the logic is to stop 'accidentally' slowing down the ruck by exiting towards the opposition try line

Don't mind the three-phase advantage as it will limit the almost-guaranteed try situation you mention - assuming I'm interpreting the "referee's discretion" bit right and it's referring to not calling advantage over when a team is still in their own red zone and/or going backwards, as opposed to not calling advantage over a team is close to scoring.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Honestly the advantage change is probably my favourite, there have been so many examples of overly long advantages going all the way back to the infringement after a bunch of wasted game time the last few years. It's too great a burden on the defensive team for the attack to get a 10+ phase free spin only for it to just go back to the original penalty.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The 'must roll towards the sideline' is a change, isn't it? I assume the logic is to stop 'accidentally' slowing down the ruck by exiting towards the opposition try line
Yes but players already roll towards the sideline, I get it, but it just feels like an additional wording to a rule which is already quite clear - exit the ruck area immediately or you'll be penalised.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Quite the specific role for Heeno.

“Heenan will be mainly responsible for maximising the development of non-matchday-23 players as well as a renewed focus on off-ball effort areas and attack breakdown, embracing the challenge of Super Rugby.”

dru

Tim Horan (67)

“Heenan will be mainly responsible for maximising the development of non-matchday-23 players as well as a renewed focus on off-ball effort areas and attack breakdown, embracing the challenge of Super Rugby.”

Yes, despite some suggestions here, it surely puts Heenan well outside of a 12 month program to HC.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I think Thorn doing a good job and I expect him to get another contract extensionZ

He will have his critics and some (like Phil + salty fox sports) will use this to try and have him replaced.

where there is smoke there is fire, but look at Thorn track record. About 80-90% of his playing group are signing extensions… any internal rift with playing group is because some players are not up to Thorns high intensity training sessions.
Signing extensions could also be because the players have not developed into players worthy of going to higher paying contracts overseas or locally.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Signing extensions could also be because the players have not developed into players worthy of going to higher paying contracts overseas or locally.
This might apply to the Zander’s and Fotuaikas, but certainly not to the likes of Paisami, Petaia, Vunivalu & Campbell who have all re-signed the past 12 months.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Noice - what's Heeno's stance on bucket hats? Seems like he's our Laurie?