• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2023

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sure Jimmy lets ignore the 35 finals appearances UQ made before Mick Heenan took over, or the UQ sporting scholarships that have been offered to talented young rugby players & athletes for at least the past 20 years.

GPS didn't feature in the finals during his coaching tenure there, nor did Brisbane City in the NRC. He is clearly a talented coach, but to claim he is the heir to the Reds HC role based on his UQ success is taking a narrow view to the issue.

Also, no need for name calling.
Prior to Heenan taking over in 2009 and winning the comp in 2010 they hadn't won a premiership since 1990 and I think they had only made 2 GF appearances in that time. They also hadn't played finals for 5 years. Fair to say he had a pretty decent hand in creating the environment.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Prior to Heenan taking over in 2009 and winning the comp in 2010 they hadn't won a premiership since 1990 and I think they had only made 2 GF appearances in that time. They also hadn't played finals for 5 years. Fair to say he had a pretty decent hand in creating the environment.

I never said he didn't have a hand in the recent success, I've always maintained he is a talented coach. But a talented coach within arguably the best resourced club in the QPR. His GPS and Brisbane City results weren't as flattering.

I want to see him perform outside of UQ and at a higher level before labelling him as the heir to the Reds HC role.

Last edited:

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Probably most relevant to post here - RUPA have circulated notice about a Brisbane based player agent having his accreditation removed for two years. Nothing else elaborated.

Doesn’t look like they had any major Reds on the books, but a couple of QPR players who are fringe Super Rugby (George Francis for example) were on the books.

Had heard RUPA were looking into more stringent policing of agent dealings after a few players had made complaints over a number of years. Not just against this bloke but the industry in general.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Probably most relevant to post here - RUPA have circulated notice about a Brisbane based player agent having his accreditation removed for two years. Nothing else elaborated.

Doesn’t look like they had any major Reds on the books, but a couple of QPR players who are fringe Super Rugby (George Francis for example) were on the books.

Had heard RUPA were looking into more stringent policing of agent dealings after a few players had made complaints over a number of years. Not just against this bloke but the industry in general.
There's been a big push from RA's side to revamp the whole contracting model and actually start enforcing things like the salary cap, I believe this is something they've wanted from RUPA for a while as part of that, good to see they're finally acting.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
There's been a big push from Rugby Australia's side to revamp the whole contracting model and actually start enforcing things like the salary cap, I believe this is something they've wanted from RUPA for a while as part of that, good to see they're finally acting.

Yes it’ll be interesting to see what comes of it all.

Decrediting specific agents is only part of the process. We’ve seen it happen before and the agency themselves are still able to trade with the ex-agents simply acting as ‘advisors’ and getting the junior burgers signing the deals.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
The Reds took on Michael Todd as an assistant coach with a lot less coaching experience than Heenan. Realise this was due to him already being on the payroll in his capacity as an analyst, but he was only coaching Colts 1 at UQ at the time.

Mick Heenan has very much a HC mentality, very strategic with planning systems in place. As JC mentioned, quite a lot perceived advantages that UQ enjoy in QPR where either put in place by him or at least improved under him. Big on skill development and having the skill set to play your role within the team.

Would see him as a very good source for Thorn , whether he chooses to listen is another thing…..

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
As JC mentioned, quite a lot perceived advantages that UQ enjoy in QPR where either put in place by him or at least improved under him. Big on skill development and having the skill set to play your role within the team.
Sporting scholarships to study at UQ aren't a perceived advantage, they are a real advantage that existed before Heenan. We needn't dance around the topic, it's good they exist and it would be good if all teams could offer them, Bond is the only other club that does as far as I'm aware.

Agree he is an upgrade on Michael Todd as an assistant coach based on experience, although it's Blake who is replacing Todd as defence coach. I think both are a net gain for the Reds coaching squad, I remain concerned about the lack of set-piece coach though.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I also get the impression we might finally be looking at who we are playing and doing some specific match analysis on that.

Back in the Link days they were looking two to three games ahead and getting their match plan ready for those games. There was a noticeable difference to how we played certain opponents those days.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
I also get the impression we might finally be looking at who we are playing and doing some specific match analysis on that.

Back in the Link days they were looking two to three games ahead and getting their match plan ready for those games. There was a noticeable difference to how we played certain opponents those days.
Awesome!

The biggest thing I liked about the Link era was how we played to suit the opposition.

I remember a Reds v Shorks game from then being played with a totally different style to how we usually played & us coming away with the W.

I think it's a major component of what we've been missing since Link moved on

(This is missing at a Wallabies level too unfortunately)

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)

This type of planning / strategic forward thinking has been one of Heenan’s strengths in QPR. He will pick a team to beat the opposition rather than stick with the same team every week. Again though it depends on who is listening as to whether that skill set is utilised with the Reds.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Agree he is an upgrade on Michael Todd as an assistant coach based on experience, although it's Blake who is replacing Todd as defence coach. I think both are a net gain for the Reds coaching squad, I remain concerned about the lack of set-piece coach though.
Isn’t Thorn the set piece coach ? Or at least with help from Crapper ?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Sporting scholarships to study at UQ aren't a perceived advantage, they are a real advantage that existed before Heenan. We needn't dance around the topic, it's good they exist and it would be good if all teams could offer them, Bond is the only other club that does as far as I'm aware.
All clubs have the ability to offer something, as you say the scholarships have been around for a long time. Under Heenan the Heavies have made 9 Grand Final appearances in 12 years and won 6 of those. Slim pickings in the half dozen years prior with the same scholarships in place.

Heenan has the skill set to be a HC , he’s not a former dual international, but he has the mind set of a HC.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
All clubs have the ability to offer something, as you say the scholarships have been around for a long time. Under Heenan the Heavies have made 9 Grand Final appearances in 12 years and won 6 of those. Slim pickings in the half dozen years prior with the same scholarships in place.

Heenan has the skill set to be a HC , he’s not a former dual international, but he has the mind set of a HC.
Sure.

Not doubting he is a talented coach. i just want to see how that talent translates to outside of the UQ/QPR environment before anointing him the heir to HC of the Reds. Surely UQ supporters even agree with that.

Last edited:

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Sure.

Not doubting he is a talented coach. i just want to see how that talent translates to outside of the UQ/QPR environment before anointing him the heir to HC of the Reds. Surely UQ supporters even agree with that.
Yes I certainly do , haven’t read every post on this thread , but I’m not suggesting he is anointed, but surely deserves his current appointment. To say his QPR record doesn’t quite stack up because he came from a well resourced club is a bit of an insult , particularly when he is at least partially responsible for resources they have at their disposal. Heenan made UQ a better club and hopefully does the same for the Reds.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yes I certainly do , haven’t read every post on this thread , but I’m not suggesting he is anointed, but surely deserves his current appointment. To say his QPR record doesn’t quite stack up because he came from a well resourced club is a bit of an insult , particularly when he is at least partially responsible for resources they have at their disposal. Heenan made UQ a better club and hopefully does the same for the Reds.
Nomad I didn’t say that.. and I won’t comment on this topic anymore, it’s run it’s course

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Anyone know if the challenger series will be streamed at all?

Had hoped to head down and watch in person next weekend, but that's looking unlikely at this stage.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Should be a cracking day’s rugby at Sunnybank next Sunday with the Reds U15’s /16’s and 19’s all playing before the main game at 4pm.

Looking forward to seeing how the age group games go before cheering on the challengers.

Reactions: Ged